• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Garbie

1 piece vs 2 piece rod

Garbie

Whats everyone's opinion on the 1 piece vs 2 piece rod. I am in the market for a new quality rod and wondering if there are any really advantages to a single piece rod. For years I have been limited to 2 pieces due to transportation and storage, but recently purchased a boat I can store an longer rod in. Are there really significant advantages to a one piece, the theory of having a single rod blank makes sense to me just wondering if practice backs that up. Any suggestions on $150 plus rods. I am strictly a spinning guy without any real preference of manufacturer, was thinking 7' rod.

Bottom Bouncer

Garbie... I would suggest a one piece rod. I like 7 foot rods and have 4 of them. I also have two 6'6" Berkley Series One. I like medium and medium light for walleye. I think if you spend $150.00 on any rod it will be a great rod. I cannot suggest a manufacturer because I have never spent that much.

REELBAIT

GC 54

I am a one piece St Croix kind of guy, but if you want a decent quality rod, take a look at the new Rapala rods out this year, very nice for the price. I dont believe there are any for sale in town yet, but D & R will be getting them soon.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Chuck

Had a beauty Cotton Cordel 6 1/2 one piece ,great rod for top water bass or flippin for creek specks and bows. Me and buddy stop by the Shabangdawan for a burger and beer Damn I miss that rod and the Pflueger reel :angry2: Chuck

Git "er done

Trevor Zimak

I have been using the Shimano Crucial's and the Shimano Cumara's. Both rods are one piece's and are 6'8'' in length. On a side note, the Cumara is the lightest Spinning Rod on the market.

NWO Fishing Bum

One-piece absolutely!!!!! Do a search...there have been multiple threads on here over the years discussing high-quality rods. At $150+ you're into good rods. Regardless of what anybody here recommends the right rod for you (or anybody) is very dependent upon what you're doing with it. Many guys on here, myself included, have an assortment of rods that are used for alternative purposes. For example, I have two rods used almost exclusively for jigging, one for bottom-bouncing, one for lighter action casting, one for heavier action casting...crankbaits, steelheading, you get the idea. You said spinning, 7ft....I always stick to 2 companies, which I consider superior to all others: GLoomis and St. Croix! The specific blank you want, once again, is dependent on how/what/when/where you fish. GLoomis IMX and GLX, and St. Croix Avid and Legend Elite series' are awesome; GLoomis GL3 and GL2 and St. Croix Premiere are good as well, but you do notice a difference, particularly for something like feel while jigging.

D&R has a couple Legend Elite, medium power, extra-fast action rods for $240 I believe, though I know they had them at the show on for $172. Perhaps you could get one from them for that price [Roger?], which is a pretty good (retail) price.

Provide some more info. on how/what/when/where you fish and I'm sure many of us can recommend specific blanks you'll be happy with. But back to your main question, I would definately recommend one-piece. I keep just one two-piece for backpacking into places, etc. where a one-piece isn't functional.

NWO Fishing Bum

Master Baiter
I am a one piece St Croix kind of guy, but if you want a decent quality rod, take a look at the new Rapala rods out this year, very nice for the price. I dont believe there are any for sale in town yet, but D & R will be getting them soon.

I can order in the "New" Rapala rods if anyone is interested.

Mike

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

RLK

I mostly jig and i use a one piece 5' Sage2 and a 6' GLoomis IMX. both in medium action. Super light and hard to beat the sensitivity of a quality one piece rod.

Garbie

Mostly I fish walleye, on inland lakes west of Thunder Bay. Only two techniques I ever user are trolling spinners and jigging. Mostly troll to find structure or fish schools and then will jig those areas. Got into planner boards a little but I have a rod I specifically use for that. Looking for something suitable for jigging and trolling for fairly small walleyes, generally don't target fish over 4lbs.

Resource Pimp
I mostly jig and i use a one piece 5' Sage2 and a 6' GLoomis IMX. both in medium action. Super light and hard to beat the sensitivity of a quality one piece rod.

One piece for sure, you said it best there "sensitivity"...........with a good one piece you can feel a dragon fly land on your line.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

GC 54
Mostly I fish walleye, on inland lakes west of Thunder Bay. Only two techniques I ever user are trolling spinners and jigging. Mostly troll to find structure or fish schools and then will jig those areas. Got into planner boards a little but I have a rod I specifically use for that. Looking for something suitable for jigging and trolling for fairly small walleyes, generally don't target fish over 4lbs.

You will sure miss out on an awful lot if you are using the same rod for jigging and trolling. Rather than one high end rod that you may think that would work for both jigging and trolling, split the cost into two different rods one for each application. There are many to choose from out there.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Bottom Bouncer

Garbie I agree with GC54 split the cost. That's why I said, I have never used a $150.00 rod. Trust me I spend a pile of money on fishing. But if you have $300.00 to spend then buy to 2 $150.00 rods for 2 different applications.

REELBAIT

Guest Kevin Green

I used to sell fishing rods and I own a lot of different types. I would agree that St. Croix and GLoomis are phenomenal rods but if you don't spend a whack of money to get the really high end ones they only come with a one year warranty (Not very good if the rod breaks)

Now if your not interested in spending a fortune look at Fennwick they offer awesome rods with lifetime warranties for less money than the other two companies.

Believe me I was happy when my cooler was dropped on the end of my rod and snapped the tip off Fennwick sent me a brand new rod no problem at all.

If you ever go fishing with other people in their boats or travel in their vehicle a one piece rod becomes a pain in the a** to transport been there done that and stick with 2 piece now.

Hands down I would recommend a 7' medium fast action rod. Increased casting distance, gets your line a little further from the boat, easier to fight and bring fish into the boat and when you get a high end rod the sensitivity is awesome. You will get more sensitivity out of a shorter rod but there are way more advantages to having the extra length.

Good Luck

Kevin

Abes

I would have to agree with Kevin, Fenwick has a few nice rods that are just over the hundred dollar range. Make sure you ask which models have life time warranty as I know some Fenwicks don't. I have a couple St croix legend series that are super nice sensitive jigging rods, I also have a Fenwick (canadian) that I use just as much for jigging. I'd suggest buying an St Croix avid or a Fenwick for jigging and then buy something like a Shakespeare Intrepid for trolling.