• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bighotdog

HHHMMMMM SMELTS , SMELTS, SMELTS

Bighotdog

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet , I know it is kind of early but lets see what happens. Last year we had alot of help thanks to this most wonderful site. If I hear anything I will post right away. Have a good day everyone.

Thefishleclair

Belive it or Not A&P and River street was selling smelts!!! Not the freashest but not to bad...Kids ate them up and so did I......

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

NWO Fishing Bum

'kind of early'....YEAH!

It was an absolute gong show down there (McVicar) last year; first caused by furor on this board, then exacerbated with the CJ story.

Like I suggested last year, I can't believe anybody would go through the necessary effort to eat those 4" of meat. I rather freeze 'em alive by the half dozen and use them for bait on the big lake right now. Was out again on Saturday afternoon, just in time for the sun to come out, no wind, t-shirts out there, and lakers galore on cut smelt. With the live bait crisis we have in town right now, it's quite reassuring to have a couple hundred frozen smelts in the freezer.

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest TerryK
smelt fishing? what size auger do you have?

Personally, I use a 2 inch auger. Gives me a bit of room while fighting the bigger fish.

Chuck

Was fishing Kama last year and the little buggers were actually chasing the lures and swimming up the holes if I had a landing net I woulda got them We usually fish in about 6-10 ft and you can see fish as they swim by or go for your jig

We call it fish TV Better than watchin Springer. BTW those smelts at A&P are ocean smelts and damn good eating :rolleyes: Chuck

Git "er done

Some Old Guy

I have also caught them through the ice. But alas, only on inland lakes. Those things shoulda been band decades ago.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Tracker Pro V
Personally, I use a 2 inch auger. Gives me a bit of room while fighting the bigger fish.

Terry that is just too funny!!!!!!

Gone8to1248

Based on the size of the fish terry catchs a 2 inch hole would be about the right size for them! And then they wouldn't even touch the sides of the hole! :lol::lol::lol:

Bernie

Bighotdog

YA YA YA thats all good boys , let it all out now because deep down you know those great tasting treats only mean one thing. Yup summer is a coming and so is the fishin. So keep up the good work and keep your eyes open for that great advice I've always enjoyed and wait for.

NWO Fishing Bum

BHD, as of last night, despite all the rain/sleet, McVicar was frozen solid from the train bridge down to the lake. I could walk across it!.....not that it will take long to open up once it starts breaking. Either way, I'd say a good 3 weeks yet!

NWO Fishing Bum

Chuck

So I just couldn"t take it anymore, rain, snow friggin ice everywhere People slippin" and slidin"

Packed up my rod a couple of jig flies couple of beers and wen't down to the river

Wind was blowing in from the south right up the river and in my face

OnamanRiver073.jpg

OnamanRiver077.jpg

After about 50 casts wind from the south did"t put the hooks in their mouth so what am I gonna do?

OnamanRiver076.jpg

Sauna Time of course

Git "er done

Guest hunt
'kind of early'....YEAH!

It was an absolute gong show down there (McVicar) last year; first caused by furor on this board, then exacerbated with the CJ story.

Like I suggested last year, I can't believe anybody would go through the necessary effort to eat those 4" of meat. I rather freeze 'em alive by the half dozen and use them for bait on the big lake right now. Was out again on Saturday afternoon, just in time for the sun to come out, no wind, t-shirts out there, and lakers galore on cut smelt. With the live bait crisis we have in town right now, it's quite reassuring to have a couple hundred frozen smelts in the freezer.

NWO Fishing Bum

hey fishing bum

don't get to set on using frozen smelts for bait next year. I heard a rumour that they are going to be banned for use as bait.

NWO Fishing Bum
hey fishing bum

don't get to set on using frozen smelts for bait next year. I heard a rumour that they are going to be banned for use as bait.

Yes, a terrible rumour indeed! It was part of the review but I'm not sure what has been decided. It would be a shame (and kinda stupid). The lakers on the big lake eat smelt non-stop, so why not use smelt for bait? Eliminating their use on Superior (where they're everywhere) in order to protect other lakes (where they aren't) is stupid. The reg's are perfect as they are in that regard...just make it abundantly clear they can be used only on the big lake.

NWO Fishing Bum

Bighotdog

Just wondering if anyone has been down to the rivers to see if the ice is gone. I think the next week or so should bring some better temperatures therefore starting the run.

tracker

FYI- The ban on smelts was proposed for FMZ 6. The big lake is FMZ 9.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Guest TerryK
Just wondering if anyone has been down to the rivers to see if the ice is gone. I think the next week or so should bring some better temperatures therefore starting the run.

LOOONG way to go yet. The is on average at least 30 inches of ice on Lake Superior and the rivers are barely running in small patches. I estimate at least 2 weeks but more likely 3 before the little fish move in to the rivers.

Chuck

Went to the Marina in Red Rock power,,, auger right to head,,,not a bite, wind was blowin at about 200kms per hr,,,, sat in the van, there were whitecaps in the holes. even the minnows didn"t want to go out 2 weeks not friggin likley,,,, I"ve seen 18"of snow a week before the May Long

Global Warming???? Not Here,,,,,,Chuck B)

Git "er done

NWO Fishing Bum

BHD, not even close yet! Was past again yesterday, only a few open sections, and not much water coming down yet.

NWO Fishing Bum

FishOrDie

i think ill check things out tonight, see if they are flowing.

Guest bestbait

Just bought a new net today. I'll be checking everyday starting saturday. Anyone looking for any nets? Got a few extra Ranger 8'-12' aluminum handle wire mesh nets I'm willing to part with for $45. The night they start running I'll post. I usually net at the marina, the mouth of current river and Mckenzie. Hopefully the run will be good this year!

Bighotdog

Going out tonight to try and get some smelts . I will post tomorrow and let you know how good they tasted.

Domer

I am currently working in the Soo. Smelts are running thick there.

Dom.

Bighotdog
I am currently working in the Soo. Smelts are running thick there.

Dom.

Where exactly is the Soo.