• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bighotdog

HHHMMMMM SMELTS , SMELTS, SMELTS

seppi

It's Sault Ste.Marie boys come on with the spelling !!

Seppi

Domer

Just reporting that I went to Mcvicker creek tonight and the smelts are running. It is just the beginning of the run as the most I saw was maybe a dozen. There was maybe 20 people down there. We gave up after an hour. After tomorrow's rain I believe that by midweek they will be running full steam. Hopefully this helps those who want them so much.

Dom.

Guest Nonus

So if there are 20 people there when it wasn't running that means there are going to be like 200 when it is. Poor smelts :(

NWO Fishing Bum

Yeah, they don't stand a chance! I too was down last night about 1:30a.m.; probably saw you Domer. I was just scooping and releasing to see how many were there....lots of hard work for only a couple dozen smelt.....any day now...

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest parry

Went down to mcvicar tonight for about half an hour and got nothing... after that hit up mackensie and got skunked there also

Bighotdog

What time was it that you went down there to try. Just wondering because every year I hear the same thing from people and then they tell me they gave up at around 12 which to me is the time that I am getting there.

NWO Fishing Bum

I'm going to head over for about 1:00 tonight BHD..I'll let you know how it was.

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest ice1975man

well at least your post is gettin some responses haha hopefully someone finds out and lets us know :) the rivers are really high and should be warmer due to the rain so hopefully it triggers them soon...

NWO
Went down to mcvicar tonight for about half an hour and got nothing... after that hit up mackensie and got skunked there also

Whenever I've 'tagged along' on someone else's smelting adventure, I don't ever recall any being caught.

The window of opportunity is so short, and a lot of times the run so thin that I couldn't be bothered.

But, more power to those that do I suppose....

canadianyanke

I went and checked out Jackpine and a few other creeks that way and there was nothing. I think we seen around 10 and we were there from 12-1:30

Chuck

FYI the smelts are just starting at Jessie lake I have about 30 or so swimmin in an aquarium

talk about live bait... Thing is if U can"t use em U can always cook "em ( hummm ) :rolleyes:

Chuck

Git "er done

Bighotdog

Just wondering what time you went out for them and how many is alot.

Domer

The smelts were running good last night. My brother filled a cooler in an hour last night. He said they were very nice size wise. Don't wait til the weekend because you may miss the main run.

Dom.

Monks

Lots in the small heavily grown in creeks from town up to the MacKenzie. That is all the hint I will give. Filled an ice cream pail in seconds. Don't eat thses little minnows but use them for something worthwhile catching. Caught them in the middle of the day, but the key is to find a small heavily grown in creek where they are protected from above. Checked out three creeks and they were packed full. Happy Hunting

Bighotdog

Went out again last night and filled my cooler up in 1 hour. Oh to bad it was nothing but rocks, so I guess I will have to try again tonight they weren't running at all at the marina.

fisherdude

thats weird my girlfriend went last night around 10ish and got a bunch....also got a small rainbow by accident...(let it go)...even a small lamprey on one of the smelt.

Guest ice1975man

went to mcvickers round 1130 caught like 5, decided to head out to mckenzie, river is sooo high it was hard to get to where the water dropped off but we moved down to where the rock stopped and the sand started right where the water slowed down a bit and it seems to be where they were sitting kinda like they couldnt fight the current. but it wasnt til 1 am that they were thicker there and we got 2 pails in 30 mins with 2 of us scoopin.

Guest BigTrout

wow, went to the marina around 1230 after X men.........and that spot was R tarded!!

Guest bestbait

They're running everywhere!!! The time to go is now! I usually go around 3 am to avoid the rush and crowds. They run all night...perhaps during the day to?

post-338-1241435948_thumb.jpg

Bighotdog

Just wondering where the majority of you guys go for your smelts. Also what you think of this years run. I personally think that this year was a very slow year and that in the past I have done a whole lot better. I have been going to the Marina to get mine for years now. I use to go out to the Mackenzie but really didn't like the drive at that time of the night.

Guest Kenny

Went Sunday to McKenzie, 130am, netted the slow water. Filled cool in 30 minutes. Very few in the fast water. I think the cold, warm, cold temps mean a prolonged poor run. I got mine for the year but it was not easy like past years