• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

grumpy

rules

grumpy

I know not everyone agrees with me but this is one of the rules of this site and I wish everyone would abide by it.

• Posting of trout spots. (Brook and Steelhead) Thunder Bay Fishing does not allow the posting of exact locations for these species anymore. Users may ask for trout spots but the only answer they will get is through a pm from a user who wants to give up a spot. No more posting these spots on the forum for everyone to see. If you want specifics on steelhead email one of the contacts at the North Shore Steelhead Association. Hopefully they may be able to help you out.

fishman1
I know not everyone agrees with me but this is one of the rules of this site and I wish everyone would abide by it.

• Posting of trout spots. (Brook and Steelhead) Thunder Bay Fishing does not allow the posting of exact locations for these species anymore. Users may ask for trout spots but the only answer they will get is through a pm from a user who wants to give up a spot. No more posting these spots on the forum for everyone to see. If you want specifics on steelhead email one of the contacts at the North Shore Steelhead Association. Hopefully they may be able to help you out.

great rule grumpy! i couldnt agree with you more.

Gone8to1248

Posting in question was removed.

Guest Fishfriend

It says exact spots. Steel River is big. Kam river is big. These are not exact spots. So that article link should be reinstated. They didn't give exact spots.

NWO Fishing Bum

Whoa, whoa, whoa! If it's my post in question, that's absurd!

"Thunder Bay Fishing does not allow the posting of exact locations..." I did not provide exact locations. I don't remember seeing any coordinates in my post whatsoever. I listed the names of the rivers between here and Terrace Bay---BIG-freakin-secret--freely available to anybody with internet access (read: anybody who can also view this site), or off of any map of the area. Ironically, by listing so many rivers, the point of my post was to suggest any/all of them have potential.

Hear here, big secret revealed, any river that flows into Lake Superior might hold steelhead....WHOAAAA: ground-shattering revelation.

Moreover, I provided a link to another website (freely available to anybody), where Bernie Schneider offered far, far more specific information! That wasn't posted here, but rather the link was....and that's just one link Grumpy. The information is already readily available; pull your head out of the sand! Or do you honestly believe that people will get on the net, will scroll through pages such as this, then NOT bother to type "Lake Superior tributaries" or something similar into google??? What's next? A crusade to remove any trout information from anywhere on the web?? Good luck!

Being a steelhead fisherman doesn't make you special nor does it entitle you to classified information. Clearly Bernie Schneider understood that, as do I; and any web-savvy individual would know control of such information is futile. We now have GPS, satellite imagery, geodatabases and web-based map servers--all delivered by way of computer. Your battling the transfer of information in the age of communication! HELLO--the horse has left the barn, the ship has sailed!

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest TerryK

lol, You know it's truly spring in Thunder Bay when this subject comes up!

There are 2 sides to this and both have some merit.

It's not the l actual river location that most people worry about being posted, it the TIMING. Like NWOFB said (and I have on many occasions) everyone knows what streams have steelhead (all of them) but the timing of each run is a very closely guarded "secret" amongst steelheaders. Even at an NSSA meeting or on the river bank in a casual conversation, you'll be hard pressed to get information on what streams are producing at the moment from anyone but your closest fishing buddies.

There are good reasons for this. One, the runs are only for a short time every year. Most fish species are targeted year round and are available year round. Steelhead for the most part, are not. Once the spawning run is over, there are very few people that target them in the big lake.

Two, limited fishable water. Sure, there are in the neighborhood of 30 well known steams on the North Shore that have a decent run, but the fishable water on most of these tribs is, I estimate on average less that 20% of the river.

Three, limited fish numbers. most North Shore streams have FAR FAR fewer trout spawning in them than most people would believe. The numbers would shock you and most hardcore steel addicts are VERY protective of these fish. You only need to stand beside one of them as they gently release a healthy steelhead to understand the love some people have for this fish. These fishermen are always in awe of how beautiful each and every fish is. If they are anything like me, they just never get tired of looking at them.

Four, the number of steelhead fishermen has increased substantially in the last few years making many of these streams more and more crowded. If you think a large Lake Superior tributary can't get crowded just head down to the Jackpine when it's in full run and you'll be shocked. For a reasonably remote stream, it draws and unbelievable number of fishermen and women.

Five, these hardcore steel hunters work their collective asses off to get these fish. Most don't want someone to just be able to ask on a forum and get all that homework handed to them. It is generally thought, that if you want the information, and you want to catch fish, you need to do the research yourself, just like some have been doing for 20, 30 even 40 years. Don't fool yourself into thinking that people don't simply wait until they see some sort of media or web page that tells them when the steel are running. There are many that do just this. Understandably, steelheaders believe you should do you own legwork.

If you look at all this objectively, you'll see why most steelheaders are so protective of their favorite spots. Steelheading is a life long passion for many people, so much so that everything in their lives takes a back seat when the chrome beauties are in the rivers. The only thing I can compare it to is deer or moose hunting. These hunters are way way more protective than steelheaders are! You'd NEVER see anyone posting locations to their favorite deer stand would you? Why is this???

I hope this can give you a little bit of an idea why some people get upset when too much information is made public.

Now, I'm off to the river again, but I'm not saying which one. ;)

Some Old Guy

Boom Da Da Boom........... I won't touch this!

Same year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year.... Deep Breath... after year after year after year after year ...............................

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Nonus

The first rule about Magical Pink Ponies Club is not to talk about Magical Pink Ponies Club.

Monks

Ah Fisherman andf their "Secrets"

Hate to break it ya but when it comes to fishing their are no secrets. If you know about it guaranteed so does somebody else.

They are just fish.

Master Baiter
Boom Da Da Boom........... I won't touch this!

Same year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year.... Deep Breath... after year after year after year after year ...............................

My thought exactly Roger!!!

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

NWO Fishing Bum

Terry,

I agree with your list of why some think it's important....however, as you said: "If you think a large Lake Superior tributary can't get crowded just head down to the Jackpine when it's in full run and you'll be shocked." SO, despite all the TBF efforts, guess what?, people still know, where and when! Why? The age of communication! It'll never be 'the way it use to be', so it's time to move on!

NOW, that said, I'm just as peeved as the next guy when I walk into the spot I've been thinking about since I got in the car, only to see somebody there! But the world doesn't end at our viewscape, spatially or temporally (i.e., there's guys upriver and downriver of weherever you're standing, AND there was somebody there before you got there, AND there was several people there yesterday, AND there will be somebody there after you leave....).

Somebody asked for places to steelhead between here and Terrace Bay (a couple hundered kilometer stretch), and I responded somewhat jokingly, by listing no less then 10 fisheries, NOT SPOTS, but rivers across this lengthy stretch. I was indeed implying just what you suggested Terry; that the guy try any or all of these places and do the 'legwork' you're suggesting.

LOL, every year indeed....I love this stuff!!!! And now, I'm going smelting....hey everybody, the smelt are running in Lake Superior Tribs! There you go, Grumpy, I'll do my best to keep everyone up late so you can have your spot to yourself in the morning.

NWO Fishing Bum

fisherdude
Now, I'm off to the river again, but I'm not saying which one. ;)

i bet i no what river you went to lol saw you there

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

At least I know they're running somewhere with all of this chatter, lol...Ahh, spring at last! Good tense discussion on here is like seeing the groundhog for the first time. See you's on the river!

Guest Beamer
i bet i no what river you went to lol saw you there

Now you've gone and done it Terry, I told you to wear your mask! :D LOL Beamer

Chuck

Everyone on this site knows the spots u PPl are acting like Oscar and Felix ...To me it"s rather Odd...

Somebody offers you 500 bucks to show them

the spots and yer runnin like chickens to an ants nest but we can't disclose it to each other!!!!! BS I say

Squabble about such an issue.... I say share the wealth

Spend all winter talkin about fishin,,,, and when it"s time to do it ....Bla Bla bla

Can't disclose the spots????? Bunch of friggin Babies..... Wah Wah ...What ever happened to tourism

Thats all I have to say about that......Chuck :angry2:

Git "er done

Guest bestbait

"Posting of trout spots. (Brook and Steelhead) Thunder Bay Fishing does not allow the posting of exact locations for these species anymore. "

What about spots for other fish? Do stocked lakes count?

Guest Matt M

So we aren't allowed to talk about the good fishing spots eh? Isn't this a webiste designed to get guys interested in the outdoors and to get people encouraged about fishing? Come on now....

Guest Matt M

Since when is it a rule of the site to not post locations of catching fish? No wonder your name is Grumpy!

Guest daniel33

well it never fails......., each year there always seems to be drama such as this, so much talk about gettign ppl interested in the outdoors and then when someone does get interested you shunn them aways because they don't know as much as you do, but yet it boils down to ppl being greedy and not wanting to take the time to teach someone else, i asked last year because i wanted to take my 4 year old out because he loves fishing, but when the time came i was told that the spot is a secret and i couldn't go because i was inexperienced.... so now my question to all of you is this if you don't want ppl to share and fish and love the life of the outdoors then why bother having a site like this, is just to show off or is there actually decent fishermen out there that don't thing that such knowledge is top secret, like seriously when i find a good spot i have always been more than happy to share the knowledge with others, how do you think ppl learn and develope there skill to be more experienced instead of getting bored and giving up.

In my opinion we are all family here we all share a common brotherhood, we all love fishing and continue to try and be better and i thought this site was all about helping each other to acheive that, but i don't know maybe i was wrong.

good luck to everyone this year and if anyone wants to hook up this year let me know im always free for fishing

Guest Kevin Carlson
Everyone on this site knows the spots u PPl are acting like Oscar and Felix ...To me it"s rather Odd...

Somebody offers you 500 bucks to show them

the spots and yer runnin like chickens to an ants nest but we can't disclose it to each other!!!!! BS I say

Squabble about such an issue.... I say share the wealth

Spend all winter talkin about fishin,,,, and when it"s time to do it ....Bla Bla bla

Can't disclose the spots????? Bunch of friggin Babies..... Wah Wah ...What ever happened to tourism

Thats all I have to say about that......Chuck :angry2:

/signed.

Guest gqsportz

yeah those idiots will help them

Resource Pimp

Seen a school of steelhead (couple looked close to 10 lbs)...........in the second eddy.......beside the large rock that looks like a volkswagon..............4 logs down from the second rapids on the east side........below the bridge.........oh wait, maybe that was above the bridge LMAO

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

wampa

This reeks of elitism and greed. Nothing like helping a fellow fisherman out. :wacko:

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Croat

More B.S. from this board again!! How many times I`ve left this board and site because of all the rules!!

Kids are trying to get out there to have fun and the clicky guys like Grumpy are ruining it for these guys.

Go back to high school ,you know what you are probably a teacher.You sound like one.

Next time maybe at least leave it to a vote because with out the members THERE IS NO MESSAGE BOARD!!!

fishman1

i am behind you on this one grumpy. it is essential to keep trout spots quiet. there is not a hard core steelheader out there that would not agree with this .steelhead spots are earned, not given away. it takes many years to develop the skill to become a good steelheader and many years to learn the rivers and good locations. these cannot be given away. discussion forums have ruined many spots in the u.s. as well as canada. i ran into a group from toronto today. they told me that they found out the info from this website. i dont consider myself greedy, but i enjoy fishing our uncrowded waters. if these rules are not in place, it will become elbow to elbow like other areas. so put your time in people and earn your spots or contact a member of n.s.s.a. and i am sure that they will be glad to take you out.