• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shmanks

Fishing for open season fish when there are also closed seasoned fish in the lake..

shmanks

im just wondering if i would be able to go out to a lake and target a fish that is open. I was looking to possibly go to hazelwood to fish for perch but dont know if i am not supposed to go and fish for them because there is also a chance of hooking into a walleye, and id also like to know if hazelwood is open all year round.

thanks alot

Guest MNR

im just wondering if i would be able to go out to a lake and target a fish that is open. I was looking to possibly go to hazelwood to fish for perch but dont know if i am not supposed to go and fish for them because there is also a chance of hooking into a walleye, and id also like to know if hazelwood is open all year round.

You cannot intentionally fish for (target) a species of fish when the season is closed, so you cannot go to a lake and fish for walleye (even catch and release) during the closed season .

Many of the lakes in Zone 6 support walleye, pike, perch and whitefish all in the same lake. An angler fishing for pike during the closed season for walleye (May 1st for example) may unintentionally catch walleye. They are required by law to “immediately return the fish to the waters from which it was caught and, if the fish is alive, release it in a manner that causes the least harm to that fish”. That means that you put it back even if it is injured to the point where it is unlikely that it would survive. If they continue to catch walleye, the MNR expects that the angler would both change tackle/bait, angling tactics and possibly move to another location on the lake or charges may be laid. Hazelwood Lake is situated within Zone 6 and all seasons and limits for the zone apply.

Information on fish species in certain lakes was provided in the Crimestopper Explorer Map Series where there was lake survey information gathered.

If you want to know if there is walleye in the lake, ask around, contact the MNR biologist or Conservation Officer for that area to see if they know any information regarding the fish species in the lake, or wait until the season is open.

Even though the provincial fishing regulations apply on Hazelwood Lake, it is entirely within the Hazelwood Lake Conservation Area and some aspects of its management fall under the jurisdiction of the Lakehead Region Conservation Authority. There are additional lake-specific rules that apply to Hazelwood Lake, so you should contact the Conservation Authority at 807-344-5857 for more information.

Some of the regulations pertaining specifically to Hazelwood can be found at:

www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900113_e.htm

Enforcement of the Conservation Act regulations at Hazelwood is done by the OPP and the superintendent of the conservation area.

Reference: Ontario Fisheries Regulations 2007 Part 1, Section 12; Part 2, Section 15