• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

Steelhead Scent

Guest Wes

Has anyone has ever made there own trout scent. What recipes have you tried and how well did it work?

Guest TerryK
Has anyone has ever made there own trout scent. What recipes have you tried and how well did it work?

Lol, you KNOW what scent to use my friend! Proven by you that it works lol. btw, where's my picture of that large magical pink pony???

Guest bestbait

Use to cure my eggs in a mixture of crushed garlic, bannanas, and a little milk. Now I either use Smelly Jelly or Berkley attractants.

Guest Wes

Terry, they don't make that version anymore. It comes in a spray now.

That will last 1 or 2 drifts and you would need to re-apply. I bet they

tried to make to formula better and messed it up too. That old stinky

stuff you have worked like a charm.

Guest TerryK
Terry, they don't make that version anymore. It comes in a spray now.

That will last 1 or 2 drifts and you would need to re-apply. I bet they

tried to make to formula better and messed it up too. That old stinky

stuff you have worked like a charm.

How do you know it will only last 2 drifts?

PS, I guess if I cant buy it any more I should be a bit more careful how much I dish out to my friends eh? lol

Castnblast

Wes try Oil of Anise. One or two drops in a jar of roe bags is all it takes. Careful how you transport it, it stinks up a pocket fast.

Guest Wes
How do you know it will only last 2 drifts?

PS, I guess if I cant buy it any more I should be a bit more careful how much I dish out to my friends eh? lol

Hey scent-nazi, take it easy!

Anything that is liquid enough to spray won't stick to the yarn long enough. Just a guess. I have never been wrong before but I suppose it could happen.

Wes try Oil of Anise. One or two drops in a jar of roe bags is all it takes. Careful how you transport it, it stinks up a pocket fast.

In my research I have been finding a lot of people using this Oil. I am trying a couple different recipes. My cure job from last falls salmon didn't turn out the way I wanted. I tried a different method instead of going with what always works for me, so I pressed the rest like grapes and got 200 ml of roe juice. I am going to thicken it with corn starch so it is a litter more greasy. I will keep one batch raw while the other 2 batches I will use anise and garlic.

I am like a mad scientist over here, cooking stuff in the beaker over the Bunsen burner.. haha

Guest TerryK
Hey scent-nazi, take it easy!

Anything that is liquid enough to spray won't stick to the yarn long enough. Just a guess. I have never been wrong before but I suppose it could happen.

In my research I have been finding a lot of people using this Oil. I am trying a couple different recipes. My cure job from last falls salmon didn't turn out the way I wanted. I tried a different method instead of going with what always works for me, so I pressed the rest like grapes and got 200 ml of roe juice. I am going to thicken it with corn starch so it is a litter more greasy. I will keep one batch raw while the other 2 batches I will use anise and garlic.

I am like a mad scientist over here, cooking stuff in the beaker over the Bunsen burner.. haha

Scent nazi eh?

Get back in your lab and leave the comedy to us experts!

lyle_beaker.gif

Castnblast

Good luck with the goop Wes. Starch sounds like a good way to paste it up.

In the past, I found anise to be great when everyone was throwing the same thing at pestered fish.

It's that little change that can flick the switch on sulking fish.

End of day, the best recipe for increased grabs is a little hiking to find unmolested quarry. It's healthier and less messy.

Guest Wes

Well I went and did round 1 of field testing today. So far so good. No steel but I did muster a fat 13" brookie.

The starch did the trick. This stuff is the same consistency as Berkley trout scent but mine smells like roe. I need to find a tasteless, odorless food preservative so my stuff doesn't spoil. Just waiting on the anise to come in then I will whip up a different batch and see how that goes. I know what your saying about throwing something different at them to trigger a strike. Just like when everyone is throwing green yarn. Toss out blue or red. Something they haven't seen in a while and you may get the strike.

This is actually quit fun.

Castnblast
Well I went and did round 1 of field testing today. So far so good. No steel but I did muster a fat 13" brookie.

The starch did the trick. This stuff is the same consistency as Berkley trout scent but mine smells like roe. I need to find a tasteless, odorless food preservative so my stuff doesn't spoil. Just waiting on the anise to come in then I will whip up a different batch and see how that goes. I know what your saying about throwing something different at them to trigger a strike. Just like when everyone is throwing green yarn. Toss out blue or red. Something they haven't seen in a while and you may get the strike.

This is actually quit fun.

Are you soaking yarn in that stuff Wes - or applying to bait?

Guest Wes

I have a bottle that I apply to the yarn as I fish. I have a second batch, which I cooked up at the same time. I dropped the yarn flies in and allowed to penetrate and coat the entire fly. Then it was dropped in ice water to solidify. This method produced a very long lasting chewy paste, which will release scent all day unless I fire it into the trees. One thing about this method though, If I loose a lot to snags then the entire run is going to be scented and I am guessing the scent will not work as well. That is where I would try one of the other flavours.