• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Garbie

Piranha Prop

Garbie

I have been wanting a new prop for my boat, but haven't been certain on what to get. I have a 19" aluminum and a 21" stainless, both of which I am unhappy with. The 21" is too much pitch, can't get into WOT range, and the aluminum is beat up. I liked the idea of the composite props so I decided to give Les Barret at Piranha props a call, we talked over my situation a little and both came to the same conclusion, that I should try a 19" and a 17" pitch prop (the 19 aluminum could still have a few hundred more rpm). I decided to buy a prop kit and extra set of blades from him. The whole deal was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I am basically getting 2 props, delivered to a block from my house, so I figured it wasn't too bad. We had to order my hub (not too many suzuki's around I guess) so it should be here in a week. I will post some results here for anyone interested.

The boat is a 1978 16' Starcraft w/ 1984 Suzuki DT115 2 Stroke, not sure what it weighs pretty water logged I think? maybe I'll weight it this weekend on the way out to the lake.

The 21" Stainless runs 36.8 mph (GPS) @ 4800 RPM (way low for WOT RPM range)

The 19" Aluminum runs 38.9 mph (GPS) @ 5050 RPM (just about in the WOT RPM range)

I am running the aluminum again this weekend, so I will confirm those numbers later.

Trevor Zimak

I am unfamiliar with motors in that era, but you should want to be around 5400RPM @WOT. A 17P should put you near that range. I think you would see 40mph with a 17P stainless.

Monks
I am unfamiliar with motors in that era, but you should want to be around 5400RPM @WOT. A 17P should put you near that range. I think you would see 40mph with a 17P stainless.

Did you try the prop calc I posted previously. Try it out.