• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
itsakeeper

Athelstane Lake

itsakeeper

I'm looking into going in to this lake for a few days, how's the road going in, any room to camp. Will be going in with truck camper towing 14' boat.

Never been there before and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

speckmaster

I haven't been in this year and I don't know anyone else that's been there. The only advice I have is be careful. The big lake can blow up pretty quick and there aren't many places to hide on the lake.

I'm looking into going in to this lake for a few days, how's the road going in, any room to camp. Will be going in with truck camper towing 14' boat.

Never been there before and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Paul M.

The road wasn't too bad, couple spots u gotta go slow with the trailer. I think theres a few RV's set up at the launch dunno if theres much room to camp there, but i was out a month and a bit ago so it might not be as crowded. Like speckmaster said watch out when the wind kicks up, i know a guy who sunk a boat out there this year.

Cheers.

Paul

Wade O.

Was out there on may long and two boats got trashed from the big lake. So if its windy with that small of a boat be very cautious. You'll now if its safe to venture out there not long before you go into the big lake. Also be very careful where you drive, there are many big rocks that if the water levels are right can be just below the surface. Also watch out for all the rocks in the first channel from the first lake to the big lake, have a spotter! The road was rough when we went out but still passable.

itsakeeper

Thank you all for the comments and advice, I will go to Athelstane later on with someone that knows the lake. I have decided to head out somewhere up Graham Rd.

Don

Guest jdizzle

Does anyone know if there is another boat launch, maybe directly into the big lake? or is it just the one at lower/little athelstane?

Buck 120

Just the smaller lake.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

jonnyriabov

There is a road to the east end of Big Athelstane and a cleared area for camping, and launching.

Where you access it, I don't know. But i've looked at it while exploring in the past.

Check out google maps

McGinnis_Fishing

Ive heard there is but its a oretty good hike in. Not sure where though

Guest jdizzle

There is a road to the east end of Big Athelstane and a cleared area for camping, and launching.

Where you access it, I don't know. But i've looked at it while exploring in the past.

Check out google maps

Google maps shows a road going into the far east side of Athelstane with what appears to be some kind of lake access. My initial guess is just a small launch that you have to carry a boat down into the water.

Jonnyriabov, do you remember how the launch was? Do you think you could back a 16ft on a trailer into the water there? Also how long ago did you see it?

Any info if appreciated, thnx

post-11952-0-82909800-1402498386_thumb.p

Castnblast

It is a steep sandy bank and u would most likely get stuck. Carrying a small boat would be no issue. Accessing the road - which i believe is on private property is the biggest challenge.

Guest jdizzle

It is a steep sandy bank and u would most likely get stuck. Carrying a small boat would be no issue. Accessing the road - which i believe is on private property is the biggest challenge.

thanx thats what i needed to hear

Foz

I was at Athelstane last week. The road was pretty good. The water levels were higher than usual.