• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest KypeRipper

RRIB 2nd Annual Salmon Derby

Guest TerryK
Your obviously bias towards Salmon because everything you said is argued from a pro salmon POV. I can do the same for brook trout.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how far off you are!

NoUseForAName_GW
Are you sure this wasn't a Rainbow? There is a rainbow trout study going on locally and part of it is a right ventral clip (2009).

no, it was an 8lb chinook, didn't even notice the fin clip untill we were cleaning it back home.

Gavin

seppi

:D :D :D Terry K ,thanks for my English lesson today !! :P :P Oh by the the way ,I is Native !! :lol: :lol: I also know that your are a Legend !!! A Legend in your own mind aren't ya !!! Hope you like my english now ! I don't need some steelheader telling me what used to be the native spieces of fish in this area ,I've fished this lake for many moons !!! Oh by the way,steelhead are found in B.C and rainbows are found in Ontario waters unless they were INTRODUCED !!!

Seppi

Guest TerryK
:D :D :D Terry K ,thanks for my English lesson today !! :P :P Oh by the the way ,I is Native !! :lol: :lol: I also know that your are a Legend !!! A Legend in your own mind aren't ya !!! Hope you like my english now ! I don't need some steelheader telling me what used to be the native spieces of fish in this area ,I've fished this lake for many moons !!! Oh by the way,steelhead are found in B.C and rainbows are found in Ontario waters unless they were INTRODUCED !!!

Seppi

wtf are you talking about??? I'm not taking about proper use of a word, I'm talking about 2 different definitions. Mykiss mentioned "diversified" and you mixed it up with "native", two completely different terms and meanings.

I was merely clarifying what Mykiss was saying, as you clearly misunderstood his post. This gives you no reason for a personal attack on me.

Thanks for clarifying what fish live in what waters. You've been very helpful.

Get over yourself.

Guest TerryK
no, it was an 8lb chinook, didn't even notice the fin clip untill we were cleaning it back home.

Cool. I was just wondering because I wasn't sure what fin clip the salmon guys were applying to the smolts.

Mykiss

Seppi

Gentlemen:

Just to clear up a couple of issues.

"seppi" Steehead are a migratory form of rainbow trout were introduced into Lake Superior during the late 1800'S from sea run populations in the Pacific north west. The only difference in their life history strategies is Lake Superior wild steelhead do not go to salt water. So calling wild Lake Superior migratory rainbow trout "steelhead" is perfectly correct (based on their original heritage).

"Nice Cast" mentioned Atlantic Salmon been native to Lake Superior....Lake Ontario was the only Great Lake where they are native. Minnesota stocked Atlantic Salmon into Lake Superior for a number of years during the 1990's. There was rather poor survival and no established populations. Establishing wild Atlantic Salmon populations in Lake Superior might be extremely difficult and costly. With the wild salmonid fishery we have today do we want to go that route ?

seppi

Boy I got an English and a history lesson today,who said you can only learn about fishing on this website !!!!

Seppi B)

Guest BannedCore

Seppi like most of us does not have his phd in biology or history, but he is quite savy when it comes to the Nipigon area and all of the species that are in it. And to think that some guys want to complain about our derby's you guys sound like the "antis" to me and should have left it alone. The Fall Fishing Festival tried a luck of the draw derby for years and they lost entries. Fishermen are the ones who wanted these professional derby formats and we gave it to them. I think it is time for a brook trout association. We will bring some facts to light for sure. I also think that there is a void for competitive fishing in the spring. Steelhead derby anyone???????

jiggin rap
Seppi like most of us does not have his phd in biology or history, but he is quite savy when it comes to the Nipigon area and all of the species that are in it. And to think that some guys want to complain about our derby's you guys sound like the "antis" to me and should have left it alone. The Fall Fishing Festival tried a luck of the draw derby for years and they lost entries. Fishermen are the ones who wanted these professional derby formats and we gave it to them. I think it is time for a brook trout association. We will bring some facts to light for sure. I also think that there is a void for competitive fishing in the spring. Steelhead derby anyone???????

sign me up

Something tells me that you two would not be a threat :wacko:

canadianyanke
Something tells me that you two would not be a threat :wacko:

haha

Guest Nice Cast

I will agree with that, regarding A THREAT from those two.(just joking Barry)

A steelhead derby in the spring is a touchy subject, and I don't agree with having one , but what would it hurt SOME MIGHT SAY, most (not everyone) steelheaders I've seen from the Thunder Bay region and along the north shore, including Americans up from MN. and WI. , all keep their 1 fish limit per day. A 1 day derby , boat or shore fishing is possible but then some will say WHY NOT a 1 day Brook trout derby . CAN YOU SEE WHERE THIS COULD LEAD TO!!!!!! YES I CAN

How about a new assoc. called The NEW BROOK TROUT ASSOCIATION, FOR THE RESIDENTS OF NIPIGON ONLY (and nobody else), and they could organize a summer long derby, weigh in a fish everyday.

SOUNDS PRETTY SILLY DOESN'T IT- THATS HOW STUPID THIS WHOLE POSTING SUBJECT SOUNDS, AND MANY OTHERS ON THIS BOARD AS WELL,(concern for the posting of brook trout fishing photos and locations, etc) just my opinion.

IF THERE WAS A CONCERN ABOUT FISH POPULATIONS DWINDILING DUE TO FISHING DERBIES DO YOU NOT THINK that the MNR and the department of FISHERIES and OCEANS would get involved, or at least do a very expensive study that would take several years to collect data,wasting tax payers money.

salmonider

Nice! :lol:

Practice CPS, catch , photo, stringer.

ok, calm down I'm kidding!

salmonider

Alright,

I amung a few others on this thread are intensive salmon trout steelhead anglers who have (not to be boastful) had the oppuntunity to have travelled and seen many of the worlds finest fisheries.

One common theme with these is that they are ALL fragements of what once was. All along the east of the continent and west, and throughout the great lakes, and especially in the nipigon system. The nip is one of the finest fisheries that I have personally witnessed. It is diverse and functional. It is something to be protected, not decimated.

Concerningn these derbys, I would humbly and respectivly ask that with the high number of boats, all targeting aggressive,and easily taken kings, that it become a catch and release derby. Is it to much to ask that for one weekend out of the year the big spawner kings are released? That you guys want a derby is fine in my opinion, they are fun, But increased kill on a wild and self sustaining stock of fish is barbaric. WE KNOW BETTER. This is a fishery that can DEFINATELY become decimated if not protected. I would much rather have my kids someday catch a few salmon than have me have to tell them about how sweet it was.

Kevin

Practice CPS, catch , photo, stringer.

ok, calm down I'm kidding!

Chuck

Any idea how many tickets left All this derby talk has me interested Thanks Chuck

Git "er done

canadianyanke
Any idea how many tickets left All this derby talk has me interested Thanks Chuck

sold out, theres a cancellation list thought

Guest forch11

i fish the nip alot when the salmon are in and when they bit they die because the way i look at that they are going to die so i and every person that i drop one or two off for they might as well eat them instead of rotting. just my opinion and i have alot of them

Guest TerryK
I will agree with that, regarding A THREAT from those two.(just joking Barry)

A steelhead derby in the spring is a touchy subject, and I don't agree with having one , but what would it hurt SOME MIGHT SAY, most (not everyone) steelheaders I've seen from the Thunder Bay region and along the north shore, including Americans up from MN. and WI. , all keep their 1 fish limit per day. A 1 day derby , boat or shore fishing is possible but then some will say WHY NOT a 1 day Brook trout derby . CAN YOU SEE WHERE THIS COULD LEAD TO!!!!!! YES I CAN

How about a new assoc. called The NEW BROOK TROUT ASSOCIATION, FOR THE RESIDENTS OF NIPIGON ONLY (and nobody else), and they could organize a summer long derby, weigh in a fish everyday.

SOUNDS PRETTY SILLY DOESN'T IT- THATS HOW STUPID THIS WHOLE POSTING SUBJECT SOUNDS, AND MANY OTHERS ON THIS BOARD AS WELL,(concern for the posting of brook trout fishing photos and locations, etc) just my opinion.

IF THERE WAS A CONCERN ABOUT FISH POPULATIONS DWINDILING DUE TO FISHING DERBIES DO YOU NOT THINK that the MNR and the department of FISHERIES and OCEANS would get involved, or at least do a very expensive study that would take several years to collect data,wasting tax payers money.

One thing that I disagree on is your claim that most steelheaders keep their one fish per day. Not even close to being true. I've been at this game for 35 years or so and many things have changed, including angler's perspective on catch and release. The vast majority of the many, many steelheaders I know and deal with rarely keep more than a couple of fish per season, and some, including myself kill none. This combined with the one fish limit has virtually turned the fishery around and saved it from destruction. I've been on quite a few rivers this past spring and of all the dozens of anglers I saw, I saw no one kill a single fish.

I find it interesting the outpouring of anger on the issue of salmon derbies. I'm not much of a salmon guy, but I am interested in fishery and how it is managed etc. I would think that people would be more concerned about the five fish limit in the big lake than a few fish taken in a derby. MANY more fish are killed in Lake Superior than in all the rivers combined. If you want to manage the fishery to maximize the chance of catching fish (oh boy am I going to get it from some of my salmon loving friends!!) controlling harvest, habitat conservation and genetic diversity are the keys. A 1 fish limit might be wise to maintain a healthy adult population that will pass on their genes to future generations. If these fish are left to their own devices and allowed to naturalize to the local environment without diluting the gene pool with inferior stocked fish, they will thrive.

Guest TerryK
i fish the nip alot when the salmon are in and when they bit they die because the way i look at that they are going to die so i and every person that i drop one or two off for they might as well eat them instead of rotting. just my opinion and i have alot of them

I'm not saying you shouldn't keep a few to eat, they are pretty tasty, but your logic of "they are going to die anyway" is a bit flawed. (no offense) These fish have only one chance to spawn and if you kill it, it will never pass on it's genes whereas most other fish may have spawned at least 1 time.

Guest Wes

It has been mentioned many many times on this board that the rotting salmon are VERY good for the system. That is what they call nutrient loading. The fish bennefit in the form of food. The trees bennefit in the form of nitrogen, and the fish bennefit again in the form of cooler water temps from shade from healthy trees.

And to add to Terry's post a little. How much Salmon do you need? 5 per trip, holy smokes! That 13 lber my wife just caught was a meal for 7 people with left overs. Plus her and I ate 1/3 of a fillet the night we caught it. Plus we have 1/3 of a fillet in the freezer. I wouldn't even think about taking more than one unless my father asked in advance. I also think lower the limit and the fishery will be fine. Of course the habitat must be managed as well.

bigfish

No you don't !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction