• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GC 54

Your Chance To Win An Inflatable PFD

GC 54

.......with all of this discussion lately about whether wearing a PFD should be mandatory or not, I have decided to give everyone a chance to win a brand new inflatable PFD. Here is how you can enter this contest:

Every boater has had or heard of an incident when it comes to boating. Good results and bad results. What is required of you to have a chance to win is you need to write a true story of a boating incident that you were involved in that convinced you to start wearing your PFD at all times. Reply to this post with your story, make it detailed and as graphic if you will. I'll have three independent people review the written arcticles and vote on which one is the best one. A winner will be announced on Sunday, September 13th, 2008 at 8:00 pm. This contest is for those who have been members of Thunder Bay Fishing prior to this posting. Good luck to all!

Not only do you have a chance to win, you will also be sending out a message to everyone who reads your arcticle, the importance of wearing your PFD. But remember, if the story is about yourself or a loved one, or anyone, and the results were positive, then you are already a winner.

Just remember, with an inflatable PFD, you MUST wear it at all times when in the boat, unless you carry another non-inflatable PFD besides the ones that are for others in the boat at the same time. This is the law.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest Nonus

I always wore one, never seen anything scary happen as I don't have must boating time under my belt.

Kayaker

Remember George an inflatable PFD is like a condom if there is a hole in it, it is no good.

Guest ratherfishthanwork

Picture this....

Obonga Lake...

Opening weekend...

Three Bigguys in the boat heading back to camp after a morning's fishing. A Lund Mr Pike With a 70hp and the steering cable snapped? Two of the boys ejected immediatly(no life jackets) while the driver held on to the steering wheel to keep himself from being ejected. Cold, Rain, Freaking out, their drowning... the driver had to steer the boat by holding the motor and steering it towards his brother and friend. Imagine the scene when the rest of us got back to camp and three very scared and crying guys explained what happened to them after we last saw them...

Next Year..

Lent a brand new motor 25hp motor to a friend on the opening weekend, they were slower than the bigger boats so we left the in our wakes... The motor was not adjusted properly and they experienced "bow steering" well one big wave and the passenger in the front was ejected in the middle of the lake, fortunatly he was wearing a life jacket. Lucky the driver was not ejected and we all got to see each other at the end of the day.

For all you heros that do not thnk a PFD or Lifejacket is necessary check out the video Cold Water Boot Camp...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

I cannot believe wearing a pfd or lifejacket is such a hardship on you guys.

uncle

I have two inflatable PFD's that are over 50 years old and still work fine. They are vest type and comfortable when you are wearing one, not bulky at all. You only need a little air in them to keep your head out of the water if you jump or fall into the lake. There is a stem to blow air into them or a CO2 cartridge in case of emergency. The only problem with them is they are US army surplus and not approved so I have to have an approved one with me even though the inflatable one is much better. I have never had to use them but do test them from time to time and if worn properly you can't get your face into the water.

The prices they are charging for inflatable PFD's to-day are outrageous and although they are superior to bulky other models can't be justified.

Buck 120

Ok I have a story from last summer. I have to admit that it is a bit embarrassing…..

Last summer I was camping and fishing with my son and a friend at Pakashkan Lake. We returned to the island after fishing all morning and swimming at Sandbar point. We decided to turn in for a nap to ride out an incoming storm. The wind was beginning to howl quite a bit, we rushed onto the island and got into the tent. We got into our sleeping bags snug as bugs. I was just drifting off to sleep listening to the waves and wind when I sat up and yelled “boat”! My son replied “what”! I responded by saying that I forgot to tie off the boat. I ran out of the tent only to see the boat drifting away. It had to be 30-40 yards away but still protected from the stronger wind gusts by the leeward side of the island. I knew I only had a matter of minutes before it would be taken away.

I looked for my PFD but recalled it was still on my seat as I was sitting on it earlier. (Had I been wearing it I would have brought it onto the island).

I removed ALL of my clothes, got into the tea coloured water and swam towards the boat as fast as this out of shape 40 year old body would take me. I was about half way to the boat when I had a sobering thought (no I was not drinking) “I bet this is how a lot of people drown”. I kept swimming and realized that the boat was continuing to drift towards the water churned by stronger winds. I swam harder realizing that either I was going to catch up to the boat, swim to the next island or my child was going to watch their father drown. My next sobering thought was the view of me from down below in the eyes of a Pike, (remember I tore off all my clothes – LOL ). I swam the last few yards with all of my effort and it seemed like my last reach grabbed the boat.

Exhausted, I held onto the side of the boat to get my breath. I then tried to get into the boat, the next feat. (It is a 14 foot shallow car topper). I soon realized that I would tip the boat if I climbed onto the side. Next I tried the bow of the boat with no avail. I then went to the stern of the boat and stepped up onto the motor to get into the boat. I sat there again catching my breath.

Emotionally shaken, cold, naked and embarrassed, I started the boat and drove back to the island. Although we were all in shock we managed to have a laugh when I asked my son to get me a towel or something to cover up with.

Now I make it a habit not only to wear my lifejacket but to also take it to shore with me.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

eyelander

My only one was on Poshkokogan, there is a small curcular reef out in the middle. We were on the east side fishing an island. We were drifting a weed edge, the motor wasn't working properly in low gear, stalling out, could not solve the issue. It would work just fine at full throttle, just not in low. Couldn't troll, so we drifted. Decided to go somewhere else. Bud throttles up with 3 of us in his boat. I look forward, and am thinking to myself, are we far enough north of the reef, and was about to turn around and ask him that very question...........BAM, BAMB, BAMB!!!!!.. First hit had me against the nose of the boat, still inside it thank god, next one I think popped me up 2 ft., but still in the boat, 3rd one, we had lost so much speed, I just ended up sliding around between the front end and the first seat, still in the boat.

I did have my PFD on.

Odd thing, with the motor issues earlier, the motor purred like a kitten at low throttle after hitting the reef, but since most of the skeg was gone, and the prop was bent, we couldn't troll any more, so back to the landing for an early exit that day.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

arvey

in the early 90's myself and a partner were fishing the kbi. we where in a 16' lowe with a 40 on it,needless to say the takeoff was a rough ride with all the other big boats passing you and you bouncing accross their wakes. the ride must have jarred something lose,we got quite a ways out and all of a sudden we were smoking and you could smell burning plastic,the motor died and we where in the middle of no where. all i could think of was having to jump over board and start swimming for fear of the boat going up in flames and hitting the gas tank. evenually the burning died down and we got help to get back to shore.the wiring burnt from the dash to the motor. if this was just a regular outing and you did have to jump over board you probably wouldn't have had your lifejacket on or in a panic wouldn't have thought of it.

arvey

mmgg

back in the 80's ,,,I was in the navy summer program,,sailing to Pie island on lake superior.

A WIND BLEW UP,,,,,we had on pfds',,,,, brought down the sail, too windy,,,,,10 ft waves, can't see anything but water and sky,,10 people ,,,two people bailing,,everyone else on oars,,,, water to seats

NO motor ( the other sail boat we were with had one had one),,,we LOST a bailing bucket,,,,,we were working the oars hard.

5 MINS LATER................ WHAT FELT LIKE AN HOUR...FINAL THOUGHTS BEGINNING TO ENTER OUR MINDS...

Thank goodness the navy brought a tug along,,IT CAME OVER THE WAVE BESIDE US,,we climbed on board just in time ,, towing our boat ,,a hour later.

we made it to cover the other boat following close by.

the wind died down and we set up camp for a nice weeked.

With out the tug ther who knows...Superiors' a mean one...pfd's 30 min without,,,2 hr with.

I wear my pfd because my parents took the time to teach me common sense and respect.

It is mostly why I think about doing crazy fun stuff,,but am alive and not a cripple today due to common sense.

Guest Smack Um

Some years ago a man fishing with his wife and children on a local area lake fell over board. He was not wearing his life jacket. Sadly his wife and children did not know how to operate the boat and could not help him.

Life jackets save lives. The other option does not. " DENILE A VERY LONG RIVER IN EGYPT "....

Regards: Smack Um

Guest sptrix

Summer of 2003 . . . We were fishing Lake Athapapuskow in central Manitoba. It's huge body of water with many wide-open areas. It was our first morning of our trip. Bluebird skies, calm seas -- really no reason to consider ourselves in danger of anything. Other than complacency.

We were making the 8-mile trek out to our favorite lake trout fishing hole. Water temps were perfect: 52 degrees. As my partner was watching the GPS and I was anxiously waiting to drop the anchor overboard, he suddenly asked "Why the heck is there so much water back here?" I looked to the stern of the boat and saw water over his ankles and quickly realized that the plug was out of the boat for some reason. As we scrambled to find the plug, the water kept flowing in like a wide-open fire hydrant. Soon, we realized that we had to get the motor started and get the boat moving or we'd sink.

Motor started, but wayyyyyy too much weight in the stern with all the water inside the boat to even come close to getting us planed out. I grab everything from the back of the boat -- coolers, tackle boxes, anchor, spare gas tank -- and throw it to the bow. Still not enough weight. I finally climb to the bow and lay with my back against/in the water hugging the bow for dear life as my partner furiously tries to get us to plane out. God was on our side that day. The boat was literally seconds away from having too much weight in it to move fast enough to get the water flow to reverse. Somehow we got moving just fast enough to allow the water to slowwwwwly trickle out and by the time we got back to camp, we had a dry boat but another issue on our hands: how to land a boat in 7' of water at the dock with no plug.

But that's another story.

Needless to say, we learned our lesson and we were our PDFs today.

Steve

Minneapolis

DJL66

George I know you mentioned that it has to relate to boating but I think I'll tell you why I now wear my life jacket.

I was fortunate to grow up in rural Thunder Bay and have close access to rivers only a short bike ride away to fish. I was 7 years old and my 2 brothers (8 and 13 years old) and myself grabbed our fishing gear and bikes to go fishing at one of our local rivers. Turns out my mother did not want us going that day but we went anyways. We set up near a pool and that day the water was higher than normal and the river was running real fast. I decided to go up stream to look for worms under some rocks by myself. I was quite a ways away from my brothers when I suddenly slipped on a rock and fell in to the rushing water. All I remember is panicking and breathing in lots of water. I've been told that I traveled down stream with my head under water for some time and ended up in the pool that my brothers were fishing. My older brother jumped in and pulled me to shore. I was coughing up water and having a real hard time breathing. The look on my brothers faces I'll never forget. Everything happened so fast and without any warning. The feeling I had getting to safe ground was indescribeable. Thank God I fell in upstream of my brothers as they never would have been able to catch me otherwise.

I got home soaking wet but alive. My older brother was grounded and I'm sure received a good whooping but, I do not think he cared as I'm sure he realized the outcome could have been alot worse.

35 years later I've never forgoten that day and have since learned to respect the lake and rivers as this event certainly could have had a much different outcome. Since then I have always been cautious around the lakes and rivers that I fish. My family and I ALWAYS wear our life jackets in the boat. I realize that I was one of the lucky ones that day and not everyone gets a second chance.

Don

wampa

I decided to wear a PFD from now on the day my daughter said to me "Daddy, how come you don't have to wear your special jacket in the boat" Wearing it all the time ever since... :wub:

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Guest stumped

Looking for stories are we.... :(

Okay, I was about 7 years old when my Dad received a call from my aunt in British Columbia. My Uncle and one of my cousins, 10 years old, had gone out fishing in the canoe and had not returned home. There was a search party out looking for them and they feared the worst. My father immediately got on a plane and headed to Vancouver Island to join in the search for his brother and nephew.

Now our whole family are avid fisherman and know the dangers of being on the water no matter how deep or shallow it may be. However, when my uncle's body was found there was no life jacket on him. Unfortunately, my cousin's body was not found. A further search was involved and their vehicle was found with the life jackets still in the back seat of the car. We can only presume they were in a hurry, thought they would be fine because the water was not deep. Although it was not deep it was rough and rocky and we were told that my uncle had suffered a head trauma and drowned. I am now 50 years old and on many occasions have thought of not wearing a life jacket because they are so big and uncomfortable. But I think back to how my aunt and dad felt at the lose of their loved one and how my aunt had to raise 5 children on her own, all because my uncle decided not to wear his life jacket. Not only did he put his life on the line but also his son's because if he had worn his life jacket he maynot have had the head trauma and could have saved his son.

Vera (stumped)

Smokey

I've never witnessed anything personally while on the water but as an active firefighter I've had to pick up the pieces of many bad experiences. Nothing worse then lifting a lifeless body out of the water and returning it to shore to the awaiting family. It will tear your heart out everytime.

My personal opinion is they should be manditory while under power then left to the discretion of the wearer when not under power.

Guest Martin Fan

I believe that you should have to wear a life jacket if your boat is moving, or if you can't swim. Accidents do happen and you don't need a situation to be made worst by not wearing one. However If your anchored, and the lake is calm you shouldn't be required to wear one. Not everyone can afford an inflatable life jacket which is more comfortable in the warm weather. Besides if the boat isnt moving its easy enough to get in if you fall out.

I personally have had an experience where I was thankful that my brother in law and I had our life jackets on. While travelling up the Kam river 16 years ago on the long weekend, we took and unexpected swim. As we were following my other brother in law and his friend up the Kam river to the Old Fort. We came began closing in to quickly on them and I throttled back to slow down. As we slowed down the bow of the boat lifted before the backwash came up to the transom, and at this point the boat hit my brother in law's wake. The boats bow raised up higher and my brother in law in my boat thought we were going to flip so he bailed out of the boat. This flipped the boat over side ways and put both of us into the ice cold Kam river. I was wearing a floating jacket and he was wearing a life vest. I remember having a headache as my head went under the water and I popped to the surface. I looked around and asked if my brother in law was all right, and he said yes what happened. I said I really didnt know what happened until he told me his account of what happened and that he bailed. We were picked up by my other brother in law that we had been following and It was the longest coldest ride back to Mission Island boat launch. Though I was disappointed to have lost my boat and motor, at least no one lost their lives. The boat could be replaced, a life cant be!

Guest Beamer

It was several years back before the marker bouys were installed at Alexander dam on the Nipigon. I was fishing with my wife and another couple, fishing was good. I was fishing from the front of my boat while my buddy drove, my wife just caught a nice laketrout which I netted and began to release. Thats when it went wrong, as I leaned over to let the fish go, I passed the balance point with my balerina figure and fell into the Nipigon no PFD. My buddy was video tapping and was laughing when he heard me swear realizing I was going in, he soon realized it was serious as we were in the tailrace of the dam! remember it was before the markers were installed and we were right at the dam. I did manage to keep one hand on the boat even falling head over heals, I actually saw the bottom of my boat and thought this was it. The water was in the low 50's and somehow I grabbed a hold of a rib on my boat long enough to come up and grab the gunnel by the back. I couldn't talk but everyone in the boat looked horrified when I popped up, it all turned out for the best. Actually my buddy plays the tape for people every now and again and gets big laughs when people see the look on my face realizing I'm going in and saying oh S$%#T! But seeing it and having this happen to me made me realize no matter how competent I feel I am, wearing a PFD IS A MUST. Besides my kids won't take me fishing unless I WEAR IT!

Beamer

:D

Guest Dano67

About five or six years ago my brother and I were out for a weekend fishing trip and planned to camp on an island in order to minimize the bug situation. All I had at the time was a small 12 foot car topper with a 9.9hp motor so we loaded everything in the boat and decided that because it was so full I would go myself the first trip, unload the boat, and come back for him. I made it to the island, unloaded all the gear and everything was fine until I was on my way back. The little boat had very low seats and my back was aching from leaning over, so without too much thought, I stood up to stretch my spine. Although it had never happened before, the second I stood up, the motor instantly spun to full lock without me holding on to it. The only thing that stopped me from flying completely out of the boat was that I managed to lock my ankles on the seat as I was falling out and saved myself. After I got control of the situation again, I stopped the boat for a couple minutes to calm down and let my heart slow down and started thinking about the what ifs. I had no life jacket on, I swim only slightly better then a rock, I was in the middle of the lake, and I was by myself. My brother could have been watching helplessly from shore wondering why in the heck the boat was going in circles out on the lake as I slowly drowned. I'll tell you, it scared the crap out of me that day and I still have a sick feeling in my stomach whenever I think about it because I know how close I really came that day. I have never been out alone in a boat again without my PFD on and although I don't wear it 100% of the time I'm with others in the boat I do wear it a lot more then I ever did before.

Dan

mmgg

SECOND ENTRY,,DISREGARD IF I'M ONLY ALLOWED 1

I WATCHED A VIDEO BACK IN THE 80'S OF PFD TESTING,,,,IT SHOWED A RIVER WITH SOME BIG RAPIDS...A BOAT GOT CAUGHT AND WAS CONSUMED BY THE RAPIDS.....THEN A DIVER WENT IN WITH A ROPE AROUND HIM IT SHOWED HIM STUCK UNDER WATER IN THE UNDER TOW OF THE RAPIDS AFTER 2 MINS THEY PULLED HIM OUT OF THERE AND HAD TO REVIVE HIM!!!....THEN HE LEFT HIS GEAR OFF ,,WITH NO ROPE PUT ON A LIFE JACKET JUMPED BACK IN .

THIS TIME THE RAPID HELD HIM UNDER FOR 10 SECONDS BEFORE SPITTING HIM OUT.

I HAD A CHANCE TO GET TRAPPED BY A RAPID WHILE WHITEWATERS RAFTING,A WHILE LATER

,ON THE OTTAWA RIVER,IN SOME GOOD SIZE RAPIDS.........THREE PEOPLE GOT EJECTED FROM THE 18 FOOT RAFT.......

.... BEING UNDER WATER TUMBLING FOR A 6- 10 SECONDS IS

A GOOD REASON THANK THE MAKERS OF THE PFD.

OTHER GOOD USES AND PROOF PFD'S OFFER GOOD PROTECTION;

ON A RELATED EXTREME TEST WE DID BACK IN THE 80'S,,,WE HAD A FRIEND THAT COULD NOT SWIN AND WHILE CLIFF DIVING/ JUMPING,,,,,,WOULD HAVE TO BE BROUGHT TO SHORE EVERY JUMP .

SO WE THREW A PFD ON HIM (JACKET SYLE) AND HE CAME BACK TO THE SUFACE .....THEN HAD A BETTER TIME...

GOOD FOR THE FALL DIP ,,AFTER THE SAUNA

..THEY ALSO ARE GOOD FOR CANNON BALLS FROM 50 FEET. ..

PUT ON FOUR AND SUMO FIGHT,,,

,PAINT BALL PROTECTION

POOR MANS DIRT BIKE ARMOR,,AND I SAW SOME GUY AT LOCAL PUB WITH ONE ON.

PFD S' CAN BE FUN TOO.

WE USED THEN 20 YEARS AGO WHEN THEY WERE UGLY.

Mr. Canoehead

Last summer I was trying out some whitewater kayaking at Crooked Rapids on the Kam (up Silver Falls Rd). I was surfing on the "sex wave" for a while and people were cheering me on as a beginner who was doing pretty well for himself. No one was shouting "where's your lifey!??" but I didn't have one on. It was sitting on the bank... between the helmet, the skirt and adjusting the boat, I forgot it.

So I went to exit the wave, caught an edge and flipped. I went to do an eskimo roll which I'd practiced in slower moving water...well I wasn't ready for the power of the water and it ripped the paddle from the loose grip my hands had on it. I pulled the skirt but the boat was a might small for me so I was a little stuck. I pushed out with my legs which sent me straight to the bottom of the river. It was at this moment, face down, being swept head first along the bottom, that I realized I was not wearing my life jacket. I surfaced in the washout, maybe 20M downstream. My last breath had been a half-gasp right before I tipped. I had inhaled water and felt woozy and half-drowned. I could hardly stay afloat, nevermind swim. Luckily a stranger rescued me promptly with his kayak. I've never felt so weak in my life. On shore I coughed up water and was amazed by the amount of blood pouring from the cuts on my chest and legs and hands.

It turns out everyone was wondering why I had no lifey on, but didn't say anything because they thought it was my preferance (as with some kayakers). NO...not my preference...it was my could-have-been-fatal lapse in memory. Never again.

GC 54

The submissions seem to have dropped off, lets get them posted for your chance to win an inflatable PFD.

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

GC 54

Don't forget, the contest ends tonight at 8:00 pm. Get your submissions in.

GC 54
Looking for stories are we.... :(

Okay, I was about 7 years old when my Dad received a call from my aunt in British Columbia. My Uncle and one of my cousins, 10 years old, had gone out fishing in the canoe and had not returned home. There was a search party out looking for them and they feared the worst. My father immediately got on a plane and headed to Vancouver Island to join in the search for his brother and nephew.

Now our whole family are avid fisherman and know the dangers of being on the water no matter how deep or shallow it may be. However, when my uncle's body was found there was no life jacket on him. Unfortunately, my cousin's body was not found. A further search was involved and their vehicle was found with the life jackets still in the back seat of the car. We can only presume they were in a hurry, thought they would be fine because the water was not deep. Although it was not deep it was rough and rocky and we were told that my uncle had suffered a head trauma and drowned. I am now 50 years old and on many occasions have thought of not wearing a life jacket because they are so big and uncomfortable. But I think back to how my aunt and dad felt at the lose of their loved one and how my aunt had to raise 5 children on her own, all because my uncle decided not to wear his life jacket. Not only did he put his life on the line but also his son's because if he had worn his life jacket he maynot have had the head trauma and could have saved his son.

Vera (stumped)

Congratulations to Stumped (Vera), you are the winner of the inflatable PFD. The submissions were all excellent, the judges had a very difficult time, especially between three of the articles, however, Stumped came out on top. As much as Stumped's submission saddened us who read it, it really drove home the importance of wearing your PFD.

Thanks to all of you who have brought it to our attention, the importance of wearing your PFD. Remember, it won't work if you don't wear it.

Some Old Guy

Congrats Vera!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!