• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest KINGKAN

Ignorance

Guest KINGKAN

What is with the people who have the audacity to roll up to a guys shack on the lake, and fish right beside the fkn shack. Seriously, the lake is huge and guess what.....the fishing is good all over. The best part is when the guys don't even get barely any hits while we slam them. Maybe go and buy a book on how to fish and you won't need to be so arrogant and mind other people's space. I know I don't own the lake, but come on, get life! Am I wrong here? I could post your names on here, but I would never do that. Maybe show the same courtesy?????????

joks
What is with the people who have the audacity to roll up to a guys shack on the lake, and fish right beside the fkn shack. Seriously, the lake is huge and guess what.....the fishing is good all over. The best part is when the guys don't even get barely any hits while we slam them. Maybe go and buy a book on how to fish and you won't need to be so arrogant and mind other people's space. I know I don't own the lake, but come on, get life! Am I wrong here? I could post your names on here, but I would never do that. Maybe show the same courtesy?????????

Just curious. What would happen if they were fishing there first even if your shack was there and you rolled up. Would you go somewhere else since it is a huge lake or would you claim squatters rights because your shack is there. Just wondering what the "rules" are.

Guest KINGKAN

Are you serious??? Wow! I hope you're joking!! Obviously, you don't get it! They are ethics, not rules.

joks
Are you serious??? Wow! I hope you're joking!! Obviously, you don't get it! They are ethics, not rules.

I have seen people drop off a shack and show up 3 times all winter. Does this mean that no one else can fish there?

Besides you didn't answer the question.

speckmaster

Sorry KINGKAN, but I kind of side with the other guys. I understand that they shouldn't fish right next to you, but just because you have a shack out there doesn't mean no one can fish within "x" meters from your shack.

I have seen people drop off a shack and show up 3 times all winter. Does this mean that no one else can fish there?

Besides you didn't answer the question.

Guest KINGKAN

We were already there, like i said in the post. If you don't think 10 feet is too close, then I have no use for you. It's not like were on a hump, it's all flat. Obviously either of you get it, so I'm done here. I treat people the way I would like to be treated, so if you're ok with being horded by ignorant people, then i guess go on doing what you do.

Phil

I agree with Joks, just because a shack is there means nothing. If people are already fishing there thats a different story but a lot of places where people have put shacks ive been fishing them for twenty something years. I am sure not gonna avoid these spots because someone put a shack there and fish there a few times a year while I go at least 6 to 8 times a month. Sorry in advance for when you find me by your shack but instead of getting mad, make conversation and be friendly because like Kingkan said there are lots of fish in the lake and we can all enjoy it together.

Guest flyinfinn

I knew this topic would come up, if your not at your shack then I would not hesitate to set up and fish, besides those shacks make a good wind brake. but if the owner showed up I would pack up and move just because your shack is there dose not give you the wright to that spot. ;) just to avoid confritation I would just move. ;) I really dont see how some of you guys can stand fishing in those little citys out there.

Guest Swan_Dive

I understand how if they are right beside you, you would think they are catching your fish. But you said you were catching the fish so I don't know why you would really be set off. If they caught all the fish then ya I would be a little steamed but your also in a shack so you don't have to really deal with them. I don't really think it is as big of a deal as your making it, but again I have never been in that situation so I don't know how I would really react

Kinda reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Mr. Burns makes that slanted oil drilling company and steals all the oil from underneath the school.

Monks
Kinda reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Mr. Burns makes that slanted oil drilling company and steals all the oil from underneath the school.

:lol: Thats Funny!

Ah people and their "SPOTS". Same topic different time BORING! All in favour of ending this thread, DO NOTHING.

Guest RAMBO

HAHAHAHA C'mon guys. This is hilarious. Who cares if they pull you besides you and fish? Kingkann, I think you are wrong... Like you said Kingkann, your getting all the hits anyways so what why does it matter if the other group fishes. As far a space is determined, the only space we take up is that which our body produces through height, width, mass and shape anything else can't technically be defined as "our space" As for arrogance and a huge lake? your right it is a huge lake but you know what...people don't understand that all the time. They see shacks and they assume theres lots of fish there... so be it. Life goes on. Instead of complaining about how arrogant they are, maybe try going out to them and say hi and offer tips to help them become a better angler. or offer them a hot drink or something from your shack. In the grand scheme of life, who cares if someone fishes near us. I don't. Be friendly and open. This applies to all of us.

RAMBO

Gone8to1248

There seems to be a lot of details left out of this story in order for anyone to make an opinion. Just how far away from your shack were they? Was it a windy day and were they just using the shack to brake the wind and maybe stay a little warmer? What hardship were they causing you INSIDE of the shack that would make you so upset with them being out there? Where they causing a disturbance or harrassing you in anyway? Where they just minding thier own bussiness? A few of these details might help the story a little.

gone8to1248

uncle

The rules according to KINGKAN? How close to your shack can I put mine? Are others allowed to fish between us? Does your outdoors card come with a certain amount of unpenetratable space around you?

People fish for different reasons, maybe we aren't all there to "slam" them. You want to post my name, go for it. Let us know when you're going out again and you might find yourself in a real crowd out there. Ha ha ha. I think it is you who should "get life". Grow up KINGKAN, enjoy the sport.

seppi

Everybody has the right to privacy ,having said that,everybody has a right to fish where ever they please !!! Kind of a catch22 situation going on here .....sorry boys but I have to agree with Kingkan on this one....It's called Etiquette,unseen unheard rules of common sence...who made these rules,I don't know but they were past down to me through generations of fishing and hunting......Are you wanting to fish there through jealousy or what is the real reason,do you like confrontation..... There are a million and one excuses for both of the arguements and yes justifiably so........Which brings me back to Etiquitte and just down right privacy.....We enjoy the outdoors in different ways,but in the end just enjoy it period !!!

Seppi ;);)

levi64

First off, I`d just like to say hello to everyone and i dont`want to get involved in a fight my first post but.... I see no problem with fishing within a reasonable distance of someones shack, or boat. That distance is what could cause problems, hence the word reasonable. I use shacks as wind breaks on Lac all the time for my clam (only when empty).

Love the site, lots of great info and people. Looking forward to a great fishing year, all the best to everyone.

Resource Pimp

My rule of thumb both on the ice or on the water is "if I am close enough to tangle lines", either myself or the other party is too close .......depending on who was there first. You can easily ice fish 10 ft apart all day long and not tangle lines.

It gives ice shack owners a bad rap when they start claiming property rights around themselves. Maybe its time for an annual registration fee for ice shacks that are not moved daily............similar to a LUP and similar to LUP costs.

I am curious as to how many shack owners would be willing to pay an annual LUP fee if it included a 50 meter radius. Or how many shack owners don't have a problem with how close someone fishes...........waive the fee for those ones.

There is a big difference between fishing distance etiquitte and hunting distance etiquitte

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Bottom Bouncer

Well said Seppi...I don't drill holes in front of someone's shack, I don't sit in someone's duck blind, I don't drive past trailers that are parked at the dead end of a cut and hunt moose, I don't anchor my boat in a spread of decoys and fish, I don't sit at a boat launch and take my cover off and organize my boat while others wait, I don't park my truck in the middle of a bird road and block the road, I don't drive down bird roads when I see that a hunter has parked off to the side and is walking down there etc...Some people like myself spend as much time scouting,building and exploring as they do fishing and hunting trying to find that "Honey Hole". I don't own a shack, but if I did I wouldn't appreciate someone drilling a hole to close. Like I tell my son's...I didn't make the rules, I just play by them. :)

REELBAIT

Guest Munshaw

If nobody is home, I wouldn't hesitate to fish near a shack or use it as a wind break. If owner showed up, I would move a reasonable distance away. I disagree with the statement that "just because your ice shack is there, you don't own that part of the lake". When I'm in a boat, I expect that people will maintain a reasonable buffer between boats. I don't see why ice fishing is any different. I don't "own" the lake in the boat, but it is reasonable and ethical practice to give all other boats adequate space to fish unimpeded. I don't know why ice fishermen should be exempt from this practice. Encroaching on someone's ice shack while they are in there is unethical in my opinion. As to a specific distance, I can't say for sure, but twenty feet or so seems reasonable. Parking next to an uninhabited shack would be akin to fishing next to someone's boat that's docked at their camp - perfectly acceptable.

There are very few rules on the lake, but ethics are what guide us in spite of a lack of rules. It keeps things civilized. I feel violated when I'm in the boat and someone comes within casting distance of me

Gone8to1248

How close is to close?

gone8to1248

Canucker

Personally I don't like to fish near other people. I enjoy the solitude of being out on a lake without others around. If your shack is in a city of other shacks then I think you are fair game for people fishing close by, albeit not on your doorstep. If I had the only shack in an area of the lake, I too would be a little peeved if someone showed up and started to fish right beside me. I think that would be breaking these unwritten laws of fishing etiquette. Wouldn't ruin my day though, life is to short.

Barrski

Good morning fellow fisherman

I have ice fished the Lac for the last couple of seasons and I found a couple of nice spots near a couple of islands past Coffin. For the past two years there have been no ice shacks in the area but this year we have shacks in both locations. The first trip this year we setup in an area about 75 ft from the shack which knowbody was there. We fished all day and knowbody showed up.

The next day we went to the seond location and fished all day and again knowbody showed up. If I listen to some of you I should have avoided both these areas. "Sorry it isn't going to happen"

I usually get to the lake pretty early but if someone is fishing by their shack I will set up a couple hundred feet away, as I like a little sapce myself. I believe in first come first served for all my outdoor activities and someones ice shack should not give anyone the upper hand

See you on the lake

barrski :rolleyes:

Guest Smack Um

I would avoid lakes with [Little Ice Fishing Cities] on them.The beautiful part of living in NorthWestern Ontario is that it is easy to find such peacefull lakes .

Smack Um

arvey

would you say an occupied ice shack is differant than sitting in a boat on a spot? i wouldn't, obviously you would use some common sense and 10 ft. from an occupied shack is not. if there was 2 shacks 100 ft. apart and i set up in the middle i don't see anything wrong there, you've given both parties plenty of room to work around their shacks.

if you think that setting up right beside somebodies shack is okay then you're the type that would park your boat right beside another and have no common sence.

arvey

Guest Walleye Man

This reminds me of the time I went to Lac about 6 years ago. We pulled up to a spot about 75 feet away from a shack on the flats and began to unpack the sleigh well out of the shack comes some Jack rear end who yells 50 f**in miles of lake and you got to fish right beside us. I couldn't believe it we were a very far distance away and the last time I checked the lake was crown land.

Well we were so put off that we had no choice but to drill all of our holes towards the losers shack and repeat his welcoming rant back to him when he stepped out of his shack. Made for some good comedy on the ice that day. LOL

I never fish close to people because I like my privacy on the water/ice but nothing pisses me off more than loud mouths who think they own the lake because their shack is parked in an area. If your not there tough first come first serve.