• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest KINGKAN

Ignorance

BIG SMOKE

I agree with KINGKAN. Like Zimmer said, there is no reason for someone to pull up and fish where their shack is located. People need to do a little research on their own and use some common courtesy while out on the lake. I am sure if this happened at our shack, I would probably feel the same as KINGKAN. It may be different if you were fishing in Little Italy over at Coffin, where space is limited to all anglers, but there is alot of lake around KINGKAN'S shack. No need to come within 100 yards in my opinion.

Gone8to1248

STUPID QUESTION TIME!

By drilling holes around someones cabin could you be weakenning the ice to where I could break up under the pressure from the weight of the cabin.snowmobiles,trucks and other things all in such a small area making it unsafe for the people in the cabin? Has any of these cabins ever gone thru the ice and sank? I see on here that at times the ice really isn't that thick early on as it gets later into the winter and cold times.

Bernie

Here is a little trick I used to do when I ice fished up in Wisconsin. I made up a pole that I could put together and it had a transducer attached to the end of it pointing 90 degree away from the pole. I would drill a hole in the ice and lower this down and turn it 360 degrees until a marked fish. I then knew how far and in what direction to go to get over them. It worked for me. I was running my Lowrance paper graph at the time to let you know how long ago that was. And for you youger guys on here, yes we did have such things as Paaper graphs that printed out pictures!

Travis Schallock
I have been fishing lac for over 30 years. The last ten years has seen a lot of shacks being built and placed all over the lake. I have almost all my life ice fished poplar point and mainly coffin island directly across from poplar point, front side of the island where archie originally had his shacks and by my understanding has them there again. Me and my brothers were the first to put a shack at that island and Archie was next to follow with two of his own on the back side. This spot to me was unbelievable. We fished there all the time at least 8-12 times per month without seing a soul. Fishing was fantastic. This spot is know for producing the big fish. 8-12 lbers all the time. One example is 3 fish over 8lbs in one day biggest being 9.5 lbs. This was my favorite spot on the lake as it always produced numbers and also size if you fished for them with larger bait. As the years passed and some people you show them how to target these fish invited all their friends and they inturn tell their friends about it and so on and so on. Know it is surrounded by ice shacks. We stopped bringing our shack out 6 years ago because of the congestion. I have no problem fishing with people beside me on the lake. I seen it all over the years. Just because you have a shack doesn't mean you own that spot. When i posted the other day about slaying the fish we originally stopped at coffin island to fish my favourite spot. We drilled 4 holes and started fishing. 5 minutes later 4 guys showed and started pulling their gear out of their suv. I politely asked if the shack was theirs and told them that we would move. On that day i decided to move but maybe on another day i would have said the hell with it. Needless to say it was the right move as my other "SECRET SPOT", was fantastic and those guys did terrible. Its too bad, having a shack is such a great thing, but there is some guys out there that own them that just have no respect for the rules, etiquette, and most of all other anglers who are there for the same reason they are.

My 2cents.

Dom.

I've been trying to follow nolongers lead and just not comment on this as it is just a matter of ethics, you either have them or you don't. But this comment brings back a few times that have gotten under my skin. One thing that really gets me is when I'm out and throw back a bigger fish then see someone move to the hole closest to us and start jigging only to catch that same fish and keep it. Its happened a few times, once a 10lber, not 5min and 15yds away, and they had allready kept a 9. That just drives me crazy.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Guest Ityflies

Ethics ...some just don't have them.

I follow both hunting and fishing ethics and don't fish too close to other people. I think that 10' is too close.

The people that did this have "No fishing ethics" and or probably did it on purpose.

I have seen at a friends shack, that people have fished around the shack when they weren't there. That was not a problem.

The problem was that they left their garbage and poopy poop on the ice right beside the shack. @#% discustiing.

Ityflies

mmgg

Here is an idea ............make a fake good spot about 800- 1000 yards from your shack.

,drill a few holes ,, set up some jigging sticks

, do a couple loops with the sled,,spill a bit of fish blood on the ground .

tada,,,every day fishermen cruising for a spot will try it out,,,

or when they stop near your shack you can point them to the

place where those day fishermen were ripping lips....

They probably will catch a couple and be happy.

Like you say there is lots of lake ,,,make it easy for them.

(they are freezing their rear end off, fishing during the day when most fish arn't biting anyway, but they are tring to catch fish.

while the guy in the shack may be at his winter camp drinking beer , smoking and watching tv...... not even fishing ,,claiming 300 yards of lake,,,,without getting mad)

Complaining on the internet just makes more people mad,,,be happy.

arvey
STUPID QUESTION TIME!

By drilling holes around someones cabin could you be weakenning the ice to where I could break up under the pressure from the weight of the cabin.snowmobiles,trucks and other things all in such a small area making it unsafe for the people in the cabin? Has any of these cabins ever gone thru the ice and sank? I see on here that at times the ice really isn't that thick early on as it gets later into the winter and cold times.

Bernie

Here is a little trick I used to do when I ice fished up in Wisconsin. I made up a pole that I could put together and it had a transducer attached to the end of it pointing 90 degree away from the pole. I would drill a hole in the ice and lower this down and turn it 360 degrees until a marked fish. I then knew how far and in what direction to go to get over them. It worked for me. I was running my Lowrance paper graph at the time to let you know how long ago that was. And for you youger guys on here, yes we did have such things as Paaper graphs that printed out pictures!

i still have 2 of those a 1510a, 1510 b. i'm a bit of a hobby collector or junk collector and these paper graphs had great def.

arvey

Mr. Canoehead

Interesting thread. I guess you've got to expect that when you're fishing at a place like Lac. I've never been but from what i hear it's a zoo.. No matter what your ethics are, there's nothing you can do about that.

Kingkan wrote: "I could post your names on here, but I would never do that. Maybe show the same courtesy?????????"

Ok you could go to an extreme like that, but you obviously talked to them since you know their names, did you not bother to mention it was a problem to these anglers when they arrived? Passive-aggressive?

Also, you said that you caught fish and they didn't. So if you're in a shack, how does it even effect you if people are outyside of the shack? Just turn up the radio if they talk loudly and how would you even know they were there. If you were really looking for solitude, why would you choose Lac? Anyways, like I said you'll never be able to help that problem.

The politics of fishing, still more interesting than Canadian politics!

John

tracker

I do have a shack on Lac and I do know what King Kan is complaining about. But, I have been involved with Lac when we lost our one month of winter fishing and fought to get it back and will continue fighting to keep it. Ice huts were always at the front line of the firing squad and are still taking hits from some day users. The perception is that ice huts contribute to overharvest especially during the spring when the walleye are staging in Sawmill Bay. Also, there are huts set up in their favorite spots. So my advise regarding King Kans complaint is, live with it, ignore it and continue fishing on Lac with no restrictions on ice huts. Or walk over, introduce yourself to the day user and just enjoy what we have.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

arvey
Interesting thread. I guess you've got to expect that when you're fishing at a place like Lac. I've never been but from what i hear it's a zoo.. No matter what your ethics are, there's nothing you can do about that.

Kingkan wrote: "I could post your names on here, but I would never do that. Maybe show the same courtesy?????????"

Ok you could go to an extreme like that, but you obviously talked to them since you know their names, did you not bother to mention it was a problem to these anglers when they arrived? Passive-aggressive?

Also, you said that you caught fish and they didn't. So if you're in a shack, how does it even effect you if people are outyside of the shack? Just turn up the radio if they talk loudly and how would you even know they were there. If you were really looking for solitude, why would you choose Lac? Anyways, like I said you'll never be able to help that problem.

The politics of fishing, still more interesting than Canadian politics!

John

1 thing i agree for sure is the politics of fishing and yes there's lots. i knew for a long time that there was but not until recently how much. as for being extreme,here's extreme. years ago this same situation cropped up at a lake i used to fequent,all kinds of boats where anchored around a rock pile in the middle of the lake. an american and i were on shore talking about how everybody was so close. when with a real southern drawl he said if that happened down where i'm from you just pull out that 44 and they all move.

i couldn't help but laugh.

arvey

Guest BPangler

I Agree with Tracker, just live with it and ignore them beside i fish kashabowie in the winter it's peace full because everyone goes right by me up the trail to lac wich is kinda nice for me

Guest cuzzinolaf

I have fished in Canada for 60 years and have found the canadien chaps to be very friendly and certainly not bashfull!! I like to use the rear elecric motor to position myself overfish and use a marker buoy as a reference point . I now place my marker (target) 100 yrds from the fish because I get boats that troll within a handshake and a greeting I thought they were real friendly but now think they are GPSing my position and using thier locator as I get alot of interference from other units if close. I give a nice friendly reply and then say, Come tie up on my boat,I wont charge you anything!! they always troll away and go find someone else! Week before the SSS there was alot of GPSing of boats to learn the waters. question? if I put my ice shack on my pontoon boat can I consume alcohol while on the water?? just my .02 worth , cuzzinolaf over

post-756-1262651889.jpg

mitch

BE FREINDLY, go and talk to these people whom you feel are crowding you, let them know how you feel, don't be rude, just let them know then like someone else said offer them a coffee or a few tips, i'm sure they would move their holes a little farther, and who knows maybe you'd have met a new freind, that's the canadian way that I have been brought up by don't start a a big debate on the internet, wich these people probably will never read anyhow. I'm yet to meet someone out there that I could not get along with, communication is key.

NWO Fishing Bum
blah blah blah .......is everyone done whining????

It's a good thread. Perhaps it has just about run its course, but it will resurface because there is certainly no consensus. And there is no black & white on this one, just a bunch of guys drawing lines through a big grey area.

NWO Fishing Bum

Chuck

I use to fish Sand Point and had permission to use the cabin At that time it was quite rare to see a shack in front of the cabin .they always went to the other side of the bay say... 200 meters away Last time I was there..... 200 shacks. I don't fish Lac anymore and from the way I seen fish comming out of there day after day winter and summer I think after time there will be lots of space <X ))))))=<<< Just my 2cs B)

Git "er done

wampa

This is rediculous. You princesses need to suck it up and get over yourself. So what if someone fishes close to you. As long as they aren't being stupid or obnoxious or tangling your lines what is the big deal? get over yourself, suck it up and be nice to people that don't know your "rules".

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

NWO Fishing Bum

WOW, being called out by a leafs fan must be the apex of humility... :P

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest BannedCore

Kingkan had his shack on an isolated strech of shore line to be alone and I can relate to that. I used to be a leafs fan for 25 years and also used to drink beer but I got tired of all the whining and complaining that is associated with both. When I go fishing the last thing I want is a beer guzzling leaf fan beside me. Didn't the flyers just embarrass the leafs this week?