• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

eyelander

First time Whitefish through the ice for me

eyelander

Went east of Nipigon, past Kama, and we managed to land 3, 2 by me,I lost one in the hole. Other bud landed and released a nice coaster and kept a 1 lb. herring. My other bud caught 2 herring and one whitefish. He also landed one laker, and I landed 2, all released.

My whitefish.

IMG_1899.jpg

My last laker.

IMG_1908-1.jpg

My buds laker, with a stowaway.

IMG_1901.jpg

Release pic.

IMG_1902.jpg

The little blighter. He is crow food now.

IMG_1903.jpg

Not too bad for leaving town at 9 am. 6 hrs. fishing, 3 herring, 3 lakers, 3 whitefish, and one nice coaster.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Castnblast

nice pix & report Tom, but that BT looks more like a popsicle than a live release.

Guest drk
nice pix & report Tom, but that BT looks more like a popsicle than a live release.

Haha, was thinking the same thing. She looks a little stiff.

salmonider
Haha, was thinking the same thing. She looks a little stiff.

Ok, i dont want to be "the crap starter", and maybe i get a little territorial about my favourite spot and species, but that coastie pic is DESPICABLE. Im never the guy who judges how others handle released fish but that is too far! Im willing to bet that spec was kept, and if not i was set back blind! I have seen people charged with a photo just like that as evidence. WOW!

Practice CPS, catch , photo, stringer.

ok, calm down I'm kidding!

Buck 120

To me it looks like it just flopped out of his hands into the snow.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest troutsandy

I think you gotta give em the benefit of the doubt in this situation, because in all honesty Im not sure anyone would be dumb enough to put up a pic of a fish that they kept when they are not in season. Just my thoughts on the matter...shame on them if it was kept, for obvious reasons, but if it was just dropped in the snow then kudos on the catch

Castnblast

I've known Tom for 35 years. If he says the fished was released there is no doubt it was. All I'm saying is the fish looks like a popsicle.

cnb

Some Old Guy

I would have to agree with buck120. The coaster has snow on it. It looks like the eye is frozen but if you look closely it's a chunk of snow. The fins are blurry in the picture which gives the fish the appearance of having frozen fins. But the clincher for me is the snow hasn't even began to melt on his hands!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

grumpy

The law was broken. The fish should have been immediately released it was caught out of season. (That means no picture)

Some Old Guy

Well if that's the case, so no pictures of under sized steelhead from the neebing and Mac Intyre rivers?

Roger

AB
Well if that's the case, so no pictures of under sized steelhead from the neebing and Mac Intyre rivers?

Roger

Roger,

Why not put the question to the MNR in the appropriate section? Can you "pose" for a picture with a fish caught in a closed season. What about "posing" with over/under slot sized fish in an open season?

I live in a glass house and I'm not throwing stones here.

Nice fish, but don't post incriminating evidence on yourself. ;)

iceman

Andrew

naden

This is pretty sad when someone tries to post pics of a great day fishing and gets accused of breaking the law.

Castnblast
This is pretty sad when someone tries to post pics of a great day fishing and gets accused of breaking the law.

I agree. Everyone has to relax here. If there is a question about technically legal fish to shoot, Roger will scope it out in the questions section. I know I've snapped quik pix of late season BT's, but I don't feel like a criminal for it.

Tom is a completely ethical sportsmen, and believe me so are the partners he fishes with.

Occasionally, he posts cool pix and reports of his trips for us to enjoy. I hope this doesn't deter him from sharing future experiences with us.

I should have kept the troutsicle comment to myself.

Jeff

Some Old Guy

The question is in the MNR section now. Let's see what they say.

Roger

Resource Pimp

We know what the MNR is going to say.............."must be imeadiatly released". I would say the key is "not to pose" with the fish. Theres no law against taking a picture of a fish in a landing net or someone removing a hook, especially if the camera man is a second party. Looks eerily similar to the "orange helmet" regulation. :)

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

unbedable

glad it was a good day fishing! I also wanna try for some whites

eyelander

Sorry for the bit of a dust up everyone.

The fish was released successfully. That was just a bit of wet snow from inside the warm hut which we did not try to remove for a better picture, never even thought of doing it actually. None of us has landed a coaster this size before, haven't even fished for them for over 25 years, and we were excited about it. It was an incidental catch when after a different species, so I wanted to get a quick pic out in the sun. It was outside the warmth of the hut for less than 10 seconds and I do not believe it suffered any issues.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Domenic

You guys need to cool it. Just look at the placement of the hands and the obvious softness of the flesh of the fish. If it were frozen it would be straight as an arrow and no indentations. So quick to judge, this is what deters some fisherman from joining this site. The bashing, the Secret Spots, the accusations and other uneccesary gossip that goes on. Last year at the NSSA dinner I sat with 6 young fisherman who said they frequent the site occasionally but would never join because of all the bullshit. Lets discuss and not argue or point the finger. Makes this site a better place.

Dom.

Guest The Duck

Jeff....(CnB)

The "popsicle" comments had me laughing my rear end off....so please don't regret the posts! Keep em coming! Just looking at that picture made me "shiver".

Now that the questions regarding the "legality" of the picture are being asked of the MNR ....let's have a pool! What's the answer????

My thoughts are that Grumpy is absolutely right... it's ILLEGAL to take the picture and you could get your hand smacked for it. The season is closed. The fish has to be released "immediately". Sorry...no time for a picture or a celebratory drink until fishy is swimming.

And as for posting the "offense" for all to see......hmmmmm....ouch. Why tell on yourself?

That's kinda like a taking a picture of " Look at me ....I'm speeding in a 40 zone!" ( complete with vehicle speed displayed for all to see on a radar board in the background).

Illegal , (speeding that is ) .... and Yup! We've probably all done it, ....but we don't take pictures and post the evidence. Maybe if speeding was as fun as catching a big coaster.

(Oh, and for the record, if any cop is reading this, the Duck has not ever, nor will the Duck ever, drive over the speed limit in a 40 zone....and neither has the Iceman).

As for the "pictures of fish under the legal size for possession" on the Mac. ( Good point Rogeeeesh ):

I think that since the season's not closed for that species, you are allowed to angle for them ...and target them. You can take a picture...legally. You just can't kill one. And if you have a celebratory drink, hide the flask and don't post the pictures!

Anyway....that's my bet.

By the way....NICE coaster Eyelander!

Guest Walleye Man

Wow I thought I was on Sherdog when I clicked on this thread you can't make a post on that site without getting bashed for it.

I feel bad for Eyelander (Tom) never met him but through his posts on the site here I can tell he is a true sportsman that wouldn't poach or do something illegal.

As for immediately releasing a fish because the season is closed?

Well I would be willing to bet my house that more than 80% of the people reading this would take a photo of the fish if it was a once in a lifetime catch.

Lets say you are fishing the Nipigon River for Salmon in the fall and hook a 8lb brookie season closed or a 12lb Walleye sanctuaried year round on the river I highly doubt there is anyone who wouldn't take a quick photo before tossing it back.

Chuck

Kudos to you Dom

Like a bunch of Chatty Cathy"s It's very obviou that It's a fresh fish .My wife and I were at Kama and caught one around the same size, we took a pic Two guys on this site seen us but never posted it for same reason Presumably you can"t lift them outta the hole BFD

I just paid 6 bucks for a Cleo and if someone takes a pic of me takig the hook out ???? and a quik realse

Paaaaleeeese BTW their very slippery in winter Ours had more snow

:lol:

Git "er done

levi64

The board seems a little stressed. I don't think any explaination was required from eyelander but well done on your part.

On behalf of myself and I"m sure many others on this board I'd like to thank you for posting those wonderful pics. I for one enjoy to look at pics and video of everyones adventures on this board. Hopefully this will not deter anyone from posting pics.

Bear

I think it comes down to this. Did Tom "intend" to keep the fish? Did he "intend" to harm it? Did he "intend" to target that specific type of fish, that was out of season?

Any CO worth their salt would ask themselves these questions. If there was a "yes" answer to any of the questions, then a charge is warranted.

I think with his fishing experience and knowledge, he did not harm the fish in any way, and it and was sucessfully handled and released.

Life is too short for this stuff on this board. Give the guy some credit. I dont want to go on, but I will. I personally know a lot of the anglers who frequent this board. I have had the pleasure of fishing with some of them and competed against others. I think they are excellent people and excellent fisher people. I really think that they are above board and would not intentionally break the law.

Perhaps these situations should be used as a learning tool, instead of spending time criticsizing what someone has done. Get all the facts before you push the send button. Educate, dont be critical. Enough said.

Nice pictures Tom, looks like you had a great day on the ice. Please share more of your adventures with us.

Bruce B