• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis Schallock

Out of season fish

Travis Schallock

I have a question about what to do with a fish that is unintentionally caught out of season but is not returnable. In a couple of lakes that I fish for lake trout it is common to catch a few walleye, no matter where on the lake you fish. My question is if you catch a walleye after walleye season is closed, after bringing it up the fishes air bladder has come up and been punctured/torn by its teeth. One on hand it is illegal to keep an out of season fish, but on the other it is illegal to waste a fish. It is something that we have debated many times while on the ice but are not sure about. I've been told to move to a different spot where walleye will not be caught, but the fish has allready been caught in the first place.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Guest MNR

You cannot intentionally fish for (target) a species of fish when the season is closed, so you cannot go to a lake and fish for walleye (even catch and release) during the closed season .

Many of the lakes in Zone 6 support walleye, pike, perch and whitefish all in the same lake. An angler fishing for pike during the closed season for walleye (May 1st for example) may unintentionally catch walleye. They are required by law to “immediately return the fish to the waters from which it was caught and, if the fish is alive, release it in a manner that causes the least harm to that fish”. That means that you put it back even if it is injured to the point where it is unlikely that it would survive. If they continue to catch walleye, the MNR expects that the angler would both change tackle/bait, angling tactics and possibly move to another location on the lake or charges may be laid.

Information on fish species in certain lakes was provided in the Crimestopper Explorer Map Series where there was lake survey information gathered.

If you want to know if there is walleye in the lake, ask around, contact the MNR biologist or Conservation Officer for that area to see if they know any information regarding the fish species in the lake, or wait until the season is open.

Reference: Ontario Fisheries Regulations 2007 Part 1, Section 12; Part 2, Section 15