• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
levi64

St. Croix Rods

levi64

I'm looking at buying a St. Croix rod for walleye, any suggestions on model, weight, lenght? I'm sure someone must use them for walleye fishing.

Thanks

Levi

dogboy33

AVS66MLF2 I have this rod and it is excellent for jigging for smaller walleye, if your catching anything bigger than 5lbs I would go for a medium rod with fast action. I have used the rod listed above and had the top portion of the rod break twice. The good news is it only cost about 30 bucks to have a new rod tip sent in but the guy from st croix recommended a heavier rod because of the size of fish I was catching....

Fishbum

hey,

i swear by st croix rods....for the best all around jigging rod i'd go with a 6'6 or 6'8 medium light - medium...deepending on which model....the avids are a little stiffer than the premiers....if u and aford the price i'd definatly recommend a legend elite...they are unreal!!...but for the best bang for your buck go with an avid.

Guest Munshaw

I believe the AVS66MLF2 is an Avid model. I have an Avid steelhead rod, and a musky rod, and both have held up to some pretty extreme pressures without breaking. my main jigging walleye rod is a St. Croix Triumph two peice, and the top half has broken on mine twice as well. I was thinking of upgrading to the Avid to avoid this problem, even though the Triumph has a lifetime warranty as well, but it sounds like it suffers from the same issue. I will be avoiding a two peice next time around for a jigging rod. It doesn't seem to stand up to jigging in rocks with fireline...

RickS

I use a St Croix Legend Elite 6-ft medium light, fast action single piece and it is an absolute delight for jigging. Pair it with a medium sized spinning reel like a Cabela's Prodigy 2000 and you'll be able to fish all day without ever thinking about the rod/reel in your hand. I've landed walleyes up to 8 lbs using this rod with no problem. This rod runs around $300, but you can buy the components and build it yourself for around $200. Not sure if it's OK to plug vendors on this site so email me direct (richard.sayers1@cox.net) if you want to know where to buy the parts.

Guest Jamie

I really like one piece Premier 6' med-lite rods for jigging. The price is right with these rods and you can handle anything you hook into, I have landed numerous pike 12 to 15 pounds on these rods. Also check out their reels I received one as a tip and really like it.

levi64

Thanks for all the imput it really helps to talk to those who have used the rods.