• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Fishbum

Steelhead!!

Fishbum

hey,

i know its a bit early but i'm already starting to get the itch!!! haha

Got a question:

Has anyone ever tried fishing in late march and april through the ice for steelhead as they are stocking up in front of the river mouths under the ice, just waiting for the ice to leave? I'm from sault ste marie...and only tried it up here twice..one hit, but back home it is really starting to catch on, so i wasn't sure if anyone has tried this here? and any luck? If so i was just wondering which rivers guys fish in front of...i kno wtheres only a hand ful that have access and good ice. any feed back would be great!

Thanks

Guest troutsandy

great post...I was actually wondering the same thing after losin a big steelhead thru the ice a few weeks back...I took a walk down to the mouth of the neebing/mac and there were some people walking out on the ice but i was a little hesitant to bust out the fishing gear cause of a sign that read nobody is allowed on the harbour ice without permission from the harbourmaster. There are alot of stories about it being a great technique for late winter/ early spring steel

Fishbum
great post...I was actually wondering the same thing after losin a big steelhead thru the ice a few weeks back...I took a walk down to the mouth of the neebing/mac and there were some people walking out on the ice but i was a little hesitant to bust out the fishing gear cause of a sign that read nobody is allowed on the harbour ice without permission from the harbourmaster. There are alot of stories about it being a great technique for late winter/ early spring steel

where did u lose the steelhead at?....near a river our out further.....ya i checked that spot last spring but didn't see any sign...was it right near the waters edge..it is a killer technique....very finness!!! to do good anyways haha In the soo we kill them...best time is when u need the boat to get out to the ice and on it ....gott abe careful but it pays off big time....and nothing like freash spawn for the rivers once the ice leaves!! I'm dieing to figure it out up here...should be the same here just need to figur eout which rivers work...some do some dont

Thefishleclair

Cant fish within the Harbour nor go on the ice..this is true...As for getting steel under the ice there are a few ways that work well. Ive jigged them up using a white tube about 2-4 feet under the ice. A friend used suckers about the same depth under the ice with good results...Using roe did not pan out at all....

As for locations yer gunna have to put on the KM's and do some searching...

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Bear

Heres a few pictures of some rainbows caught yesterday. My hunting/fishing buddy lives in the South West part of Calgary and has a man made lake in his neighbourhood. These are stocked fish, you are allowed to fish there, but very few people do.

Enjoy.

Guest Walleye Man

In front of the Gravel River there is a little Ice Shack Village that is east of Nipigon off Hwy 17 you can see it from the Hwy.

I know guys catch Rainbows through the ice there all the time.

Good Luck

Fishbum

Hey..thanks...so there is no fishing in the harbour eh?...does in front of mcvicker count as the harbour..just not sure i'm new to t bay a year ago....thanks for the tips.....i've nailed the bows on spawn down sounth through the ice...how were you guys fihsing it? Ya i thought about the gravel, or the wolf maybe...not sure if you can get to the mouth of the wolf?

Thefishleclair

McVickers falls under the control of the Harbour Master.....Go East...look for 20' water....

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

brookiebuster

Chek this out!! ;)

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent