• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest briverb

Steelhead running?

Guest briverb

Howdy again, folks.

First of all, thanks for all the info when I came back for some ice fishing a few months ago.

Still out here in Calgary thinking about making a spring trip back to Thunder Bay. All depends on the timing of the steelhead run. Don't worry, not looking for anyone's honeyhole, I already know of my own honey holes in and around Thunder Bay. :-) Neebing, MacIntyre, Mackenzie, Wolf, Jackpine, Strawberry Creek, Nipigon, just to name a few.

If memory serves, the steelhead run along the north shore could start as early as late march. I remember catching steelhead at Chippewa Falls near Sault Ste. Marie in a small pocket of water under the falls in mid march many years ago. But the best by far had to be St. Mary's river in Sault Ste. Marie, catching steelhead up to 16 lbs................................wow can't believe how much I miss fishing for steelhead, has it been that long already?

Anyways, I'm rambling on here. From what my family in Thunder Bay have been telling me, the weather there has been pretty warm and there is open water already. To bad no one in my family goes fishing unless I am there, so they cannot tell me anything about the steelhead run.

Soooooo, my question is, has the steel head run started yet in any of the rivers I listed above? If you were me, when would you plan a trip to come back this year for the steelhead run?

Thans for any the info.

On a side note, I was out in my canoe yesterday for the first time this year in Alberta and landed one nice rainbow trout. Felt great to be back out on open water here. :-)

Guest Swan_Dive

I have been talking to a few ppl and they have been saying we are waiting for a rain to get a good solid run, and luckily today we are finally getting a little rain. I haven't been out yet but I think I might venture out tomorrow to test it out.

shmanks
There are some being pulled out of current river!

i seen the current river opened up.

time to go pick up my fishing licence and hope to catch my first steelhead this year. Went out to late last year and caught 2 fry lol so they don't count im going to have to go check the other rivers see if anyone is having any luck maybe get a few pointers or something.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe on the rivers :)