• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DualExhaust

Hunting shack litter

Guest DualExhaust

My question is about the 21 day rule for camping and hunting shacks. I have read the previous post where the shack must be moved on the 21st day or prior in order for the shack to remain legal. Now I know for a fact that we have all seen this while we have been out and about.

Does the hunting shack that has been disassembled and left in the area where it was used for the sole purpose of hunting become litter as it has been basically abandoned until the next hunting season?

Is it legal for people to "pre-claim" their hunting shack site by leaving their disassembled shack in that area?

Can the owner or owners of the abandoned hunting shack be charged for littering by leaving their disassembled shack on crown land?

If that shack becomes categorized as litter as it has been abandoned does anyone own it?

Is it legal for somone else to remove that litter and claim it?

When I talk about leaving a hunting shack behind I'm not talking about the structure, im talking about the walls, doors, wood stove, alot of good lumber, etc?

How long does it have to be abandoned before it becomes litter?

I know there are alot of questions there but Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Guest MNR

The section under the Public Lands Act that makes it an offence to litter is worded very broadly. It says; “A person shall not deposit or cause to be deposited any material, substance or thing”.

The example of the hunt shack material left in the bush is one that would be considered litter. I would be cautious about considering being abandoned however. If neatly piled, I would assume that the person(s) who left it there probably plan on reusing it sometime in the future. But it does become litter as soon as it is deposited.

The OPP have a system in place (found property) where a person who finds an article of value can bring it in to the local detachment and after a specified period of time has elapsed may claim it as their own if it has not been reported stolen or if the rightful owner can be found. I don’t feel that the hunt shack material fits this very well. The shack has not been lost, nor do I believe has it been permanently abandoned.

Conservation Officers routinely make note of who is in each campsite during the hunting season and could probably lay charges under the Public Lands Act in this case.