• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Thefishleclair

McIntyre River Closure

Guest Ityflies

After hearing that "people" (using that term loosely) have snagged these fish with spawn sacks, three prong hooks and even rapalas, I am appalled.

I think that they should shut the whole river down to fishing as long as there is low water and these fish are vulnurable.

It's sad to hear crap like this is happening. :(

speckmaster

Does anybody know if people actually got charged? If they did they should post their names in the paper. It would be interesting to see who's running around with the treble hooks!

After hearing that "people" (using that term loosely) have snagged these fish with spawn sacks, three prong hooks and even rapalas, I am appalled.

I think that they should shut the whole river down to fishing as long as there is low water and these fish are vulnurable.

It's sad to hear crap like this is happening. :(

Guest TerryK

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you CAN do something about illegal fishing activities. Everyone has a cell phone these days and the simple solution is to just call the MNR's TIPS line when you see someone doing something you deem detrimental to the fish/fishery. I have this number on the speed dial of my phone and I have used it. (this morning as a matter of fact). They WILL respond. To avoid a confrontation I recommend you not approach the would be offender. Let the COs do their job.

If everyone does their part, many big problems could become small ones!

The Ministry of Natural Resources has a Turn-in-Poachers (TIPS) hotline for reporting fishing infractions.

1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

Each year the Ministry of Natural Resources lays between 8,000 and 10,000 charges for natural resource violations. Abuse of our natural resources reduces opportunities for everyone and threatens the future sustainability of these resources.

The toll-free TIPS-MNR reporting line provides a direct line for the public to report resource violations to the ministry 24 hours a day, seven days a week from anywhere in Ontario.

Guest Wes

I was down at the river last evening. After plunking a few pockets I decided to walk up to "Snaggers Alley" to see if there was anyone there. 4 guys there rippin' away. I explained the situation then called the CO. I went home for supper then my wife, dog, and I went for a walk. 10 people back at "Snaggers Alley". No CO??? I called again. They told me they wouldn't be dispatching a CO. Why did I bother calling then?

We don't have to worry about people bonking fish in Tamblyn this year. The fish won't make it there. I was talking with a guy who said he heard some 22" steelhead were kept last night. With current water levels and predicted summer levels we are going to have next to no recruitment in 3 years. + prime spawners are going home in plastic bags. This fishery is going to collapse. Then what do we have?

If the MNR reads this. Please change those signs at Rainbow Falls to read the same as the signs at the Chair Pool. "No fishing within 25 metres downstream of this sign." The current signs are confusing and would not hold up in court.

Mr. Canoehead

So...since you can't keep fish from this river (under 27" i think?) these people are snagging and keeping fish that were not even legal to keep when caught properly? WOW. Forget the MNR, just shove these guys in the river! I never fish there because it's too busy. Maybe I'll go this year just to stir up some you-know-what lol!

John

Guest TerryK

What number did you call Wes? I called the TIPS number the other night and they did show up, and called me to confirm the location. Mind you, these guys are spread pretty thin and the 2 COs had to drive from east of Dorion....but they did come. The signs have been changed as well, but do need to be moved upstream to reflect the actual closed area.

Also, Whether the signs say "Dam" or "sign" makes no difference. It is the responsibility of the fisherman to know the rules. If someone is in doubt, they need to check with MNR before fishing.

Croat

I was fishing way up the Mac and saw a kid go down stream with a net and plastic bag on the other side of the river ,after half an hour he passed by going up stream with plastic bag empty and sarcastically I yelled out "Hey where`s your fishing rod" andhe replied that he was trying to catch minnows.LOL.

We drove to my buddies place and then noticed someone had put long deep scratches to our vehicles.I`m glad we took our junkers instead of our newer vehicles.We didn`t catch anything but it was cool seeing the fish swimmiing around.The trout were no bigger than 22" and as small as 16" and we saw a really cool male with a big hump at the dorsel like those Sockeye you see on television.

wampa

Caught this nice 26 incher in the Mac yesterday with a flatfish (*gasp* it has trebles). Spawn sacks were not working at all. Caught a couple others and had a real nice one break off on a spectacular leap from the water. All were from the same pool until someone wearing a Steelhead Assoc. hat and vest patches came slogging downstream in the middle of the river and then asks if there any more fish in the pool. Well not anymore, moron, you just spooked them all out. And then he continues to walk down the river splashing away. LOL. No wonder he couldn't catch any fish. As a former member, I was quite shocked that anyone from the NSSA would exhibit such rude and disrespectful behavior. I can see it from a young person that may not know any better, but it left me shaking my head. Based on other posts on this board, if people want others to be more respectful and follow the "unwritten rules of the river", maybe they should be leading by example instead of complaining about it online.

As for the keying of the cars, that is just wrong. Probably unrelated to the kid you talked to with the net (how would he know which car is yours), but wrong nonetheless.

post-155-1271867372_thumb.jpg

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

GC 54

Russ, first I am appalled that you would think that just because a person is wearing a "Steelhead Assoc. hat" would mean that he or she is a member of the NSSA. As you mentioned, you are a "former member" yourself, possibly that person is too or just happens to own a NSSA hat, or maybe even is still a member who continues to support the NSSA and its goals. By the way, these hats are sold at the Outdoor Show to the general public.

Second, did you take the time to stop and talk to the individual and explain what he was doing was disturbing the fish? Maybe this person doesn't know any better, but that doesn't make the person a "moron".

As you referred to in your own post, lead by example!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest April

It comes down to common sense, dont walk around in a pool where someone is fishing! duhhhhh, you should NOT have to explain this to someone.

Thefishleclair

I dunno, Some people do some strange things to try and protect the steelhead. If it takes someone trudging down the middle of a creek or river to ruin a days fishing well thats just low!!!!

I have met a NSSA Member on a river whom flogged the run I was on just so I would leave, I pressed on and fished it still while I would get 1 drift in to the members 3 drifts as he hogged in on the spot, Then after he relized I was going to stay he snagged up and walked right in and kicked stones and rocks right in the drift to retrieve his hook. Pool was ruined and not to say so was my vision of ETHICS by a certian member. I have watched this guy kill fish while boasting his ability to catch fish and promote himself as a Prolific steelheader. I wont say his name nor will I ever, There are few of us whio have run into this fella and all leave with the same feeling and experiances. I know the NSSA does allot of good things for the area and my view on the work they do is great. This one fella whom I avoid does not affect my view on tha Association...They can only control what they can...A person will control them selves and thier behaviour!

I seen 4 Guys this am at the Court Street Falls on Mcvickers just FLOGGING the small hole that is there, Saw some Strange fishing techniques too. Setting the hook on almost all stops, "Jigging" and cranking row up current and jerking at every tap by one person I saw the last 2 days fishing the same hole, 2 of the 4 guys were decent enough to lift thier rod tips to be sure that the stops were true and in a fishes lips and not its back my hat goes off to them!, The other 2 guys guys dont fool anyone...Problem is you cannot prove what they are actually trying to do by Hopefully drifting thier bait into a steels mouth or just into thier bellies and backs! Sit down at Vickers and watch. Most guys who hook into a fish there will fight it out off the pool and out of others views to remove a foulhook and keep the fish!!! I know of a few of these guys whom do this but unfortunatly cannot prove it.

More MNR Representation at these rivers and creeks need to be put on a daily basis, Or duputize some Serious NSSA members into enforcing rules and such on some of the intown fisheries...Cause whats going on now will always continue to happen every spring!!!

Sorry fer the rant!!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

wampa

George, I have seen this guy at meetings before, I know he is/was a member and has probably been fishing longer than I have been alive. I am not about to name people on the internet. Moron may not have been the best term, but this is supposed to be a kid friendly site. The point was, by the time he had splashed away all the fish and ruined my early morning fishing, I was in no mood to tell this guy, who should have known better, to stop walking in the water. If it was kids or someone who looked like they just didn't know, I would have. I then go on this website and there is nothing but constant bashing of people who don't fish by "the rules" by members of this club and it just rubs me the wrong way. I am not trying to bash the NSSA in any way. I think they do great things around for the fishery and does it's best to promote good ethics and conservation on our rivers. Some people on here just have a holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to fishing and that bugs me.

And I have tried to lead by example. I pointed out the no fishing sign to a couple of university kids that said they didn't see it and they moved on.

I just say it as I see it. That's just how I roll.

-Russ

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

GC 54

Thanks for the response Russ, I know how it can get frustrating. I guess ethics are not every one of the NSSA member's strong points. :(

Everyone is an individual.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest TerryK

Oh boy, where do I start with this one? I just got back from seeing the walleye carnage on a river east of here and I get to read about our members acting like fools on the river.

If this guy is a member of NSSA, I personally apologize on the NSSA's behalf. We do not condone this kind of behavior in ANY way by ANY member and it disturbs me greatly that this is happening. I promise you I will personally look into the issue.

That being said, it also pains me to see public posts accusing members of this kind of behavior. I urge anyone who sees something like this, to contact me personally and I will look into it. By placing it on a public forum, one inadvertently causes harm to the NSSA and every former, current or future project we may be involved in which is very unfortunate, especially when there is a chance these people may not actually be members. (I'm not saying they weren't in Russ' case) You know how it is, you can do 50 good things and no one notices, but do one bad thing and the whole world knows, guilty or not.

On the same point, NO ONE should be wading indiscriminately down any river in these low water conditions. I've counted dozens of spawning beds (redds) on the lower McIntyre over the last 3 weeks and walking through an area full of redds could result in the death of literally hundreds of eggs/fry. PLEASE be careful where you walk guys. Look for a depression in the gravel with a hump of clean looking rock/gravel immediately behind. These reds can be anywhere, from the middle of the river to the very edge. If you look closely, you will see them. Try to learn how to identify trout spawning areas and please keep out of them, a baby rainbow will thank you! :D

Guest John Schmidt

George, I have seen this guy at meetings before, I know he is/was a member and has probably been fishing longer than I have been alive. I am not about to name people on the internet. Moron may not have been the best term, but this is supposed to be a kid friendly site. The point was, by the time he had splashed away all the fish and ruined my early morning fishing, I was in no mood to tell this guy, who should have known better, to stop walking in the water. If it was kids or someone who looked like they just didn't know, I would have. I then go on this website and there is nothing but constant bashing of people who don't fish by "the rules" by members of this club and it just rubs me the wrong way. I am not trying to bash the NSSA in any way. I think they do great things around for the fishery and does it's best to promote good ethics and conservation on our rivers. Some people on here just have a holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to fishing and that bugs me.

And I have tried to lead by example. I pointed out the no fishing sign to a couple of university kids that said they didn't see it and they moved on.

I just say it as I see it. That's just how I roll.

-Russ

SO WELL SAID-Im startin to wonder about this nsssa

Guest Wes

No need to wonder John. If you read carefully to what Russ said. He mentions a lot of good this organization does. There are bad apples everywhere and if left unchecked, they can ruin the entire basket. If it wasn't for this organization I would be willing to bet the Mac Steelhead run would not exist or have so few fish left that it would likely never recover.

This is the same thing as a Non angler walking by the Mac in the spring and sees an angler throwing his Tim's cup on the ground. Then going to the tree hugging party and tell everyone else what a bunch of bassholes those "Steelheaders" are. It only takes a very small few to ruin the basket.

This goes for everything. Even those slob "hunters" who leave there shells and targets all over the ground at the target spot on magone road.

Ya see, I am a hunter and I know better, but the non hunters driving up that road, looking for a tree to hug, are going to lump us all together and call us all a bunch of slobs.

I can go on and on.

The main point is don't raise your eyebrow at the NSSA until you understand the big picture.

• Like 1

Guest Paulus

Terry Kosolowski April 14 at 2:11pm Reply

MNR has just temporarily closed to fishing two pools on the McIntyre River (Rainbow Pool and Chair Pool) due to extremely low water conditions causing the fish to stack up and be VERY vulnerable to fishermen and poachers. MNR presence on the river will be very high for the remainder of the spawning run. Thank you to the... CO that brought the problem to the attention to senior MNR staff who acted immediately. Much appreciated.

Good stuff! I wish we were similarly pro-active here in the south.

p.-

Guest John Schmidt

The Mac should be closed every year at this time and used for educational and stocking purposes with viewing windows at the ladder and rearing ponds and such, all sponsered by the university and the NSSA ..People would come from everywhere to see a jewel like that right in town... "WAKE UP Chuck your dreaming again" It's Thunder Bay people just want free meat and seeing you can ride a bike, walk or take the 5 min drive to it.. the slaughter will continue

That"s all I got to say about that

I was reading this and no offence to the NSSA i really dont see how it will be stopped, it is advertised by those rainbow trout signs all around it to fish it, expecially since yes it flows through many of our backyards even and most of the "good" city areas and can search way up into lappe area, so if we really need to make a difference for our steel in the mac we really need to think this one through so we can make a positive thing with the mac for the fishery and anglers.

perhaps fishing only allowed in certain areas (ex.in city closed, country part closed, stricter regulations, More CO presence, we can make a difference

NoUseForAName_GW

The 1 fish over 27" is making a huge difference already, no need to create anymore fish sancutaries or close any parts of the river. The fish population appears the be doing great (according the the study being done by the NSSA) I don't think fish numbers have ever been that high in the river. With a little more public knowledge, ie. signs, and letting unaware anglers know the regulations, the fishery will remain fantastic. The only time the MNR should have intervene is on years like 2010 when the water levels cause problems for migration, other than that, leave things as they are.

Gavin

Guest Wes

What GW said.

One thing John said is also needed, more CO presence. Unfortunately the CO's have a huge area to cover and the poachers are everywhere so they can't just spend all of their time at one river. In 2010 they were at the Mac more often than last year. Well going by what I saw anyway. Just because I didn't see the CO's it does mean they weren't there. They are pretty stealthy sometimes.

We really need to police these rivers ourselves. Inform and encourage is about all we can do, without letting a "situation" get out of hand.

Wes

Mr. Canoehead

What GW said.

One thing John said is also needed, more CO presence. Unfortunately the CO's have a huge area to cover and the poachers are everywhere so they can't just spend all of their time at one river. In 2010 they were at the Mac more often than last year. Well going by what I saw anyway. Just because I didn't see the CO's it does mean they weren't there. They are pretty stealthy sometimes.

We really need to police these rivers ourselves. Inform and encourage is about all we can do, without letting a "situation" get out of hand.

Wes

Yeah and if you have to push some poacher in the river and slash the asshole's tires to keep the situation in hand then so be it :P:

• Like 1

Guest TerryK

SO WELL SAID-Im startin to wonder about this nsssa

John: Besides digging up a year and a half old thread, did you bother to read the rest of the thread before you passed judgment on the entire NSSA because of one person who may or may not be a member? If this person is or isn't a member is irrelevant. His actions as an individual do not represent the entire NSSA membership and executive. Before you start casting stones you should find out more about us. Try attending a meeting, visit our website and read about some of the many projects we do each year, talk to a kid who received a prize from the NSSA at a fish derby or just talk to someone who's involved, like your friend (and mine) Wes.

If you have any concerns you can contact me personally at 708-7934 or email terryk1@shaw.ca

Terry Kosolowski

NSSA Vice President

Guest John Schmidt

i was obv just very eager to attain info, obv i do care, i went to the prosvita looking for the NSSA meeting november 10th and 17th and noone knew what i was talking about (i work next door at hands on car wash) Terry if you reallly wanna keep rubbing my past stupid comments in my face O.K. but i do plan on joining so if you could help by contacting me [johnaaronschmidt@gmail.com or by phone 2851928]

thanks john