• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

mexifin

Camping signs

mexifin

For Anglers and Campers, Here are some new signs the the M N R put up near some camping area in Nipigon.

post-1172-1273018539_thumb.jpg

THE_BIG_ONE

They should put these up all around the Thunder Bay area in my opinion. I am sick of going camping for the weekend only to get there and its jammed packed with trailers that dont have nobody there all weekend. If you want a place to park a trailer where you are only gonna come out for two or three weekends a year leave it at a resort. If it is on crown land you should have to be there.

• Like 1

Guest lacman

Was this at Jessie?

I went there last year and there were campers there for the weekend and no one was there all weekend. The campers were RIGHT in the middle of the camping spot so it kind of ruined it. The campers has all the awnings out, were all leveled, etc so they were intended to be there for the long haul.

I'm glad these signs are up, more people should be able to enjoy these spots!

THE_BIG_ONE
Same sign at east bay landing at dog lake and nelson lake

Both those are a must. Athelstane, Kab, and Windy would be nice too.

Azarius
Yeah I heard there IS one at Athelstane

There were several lakes in Thunder Bay that were being considered for this new type of posting. (campers/trailers etc must be attended and accommodated between 11p.m and 5 a.m) MNR district staff decided to go slow and post the most problematic areas first. The cost of the signs and their installation plus added enforcement efforts were also a consideration.

Lakes in Thunder Bay that are being considered for the next round of posting include:

Drift Lake

Swallow Lake

Hoof Lake

Sandstone (east and west)

Lac Des Milles Lacs (Honkenen Narrows and Maze Bay)

Kab Lake

Wolf Lake

The owner of a trailer (camping unit) could face fines under the Public Lands Act ranging from $100 - $10,000 plus having to pay to get their equipment back if it has been towed away.

Expect popular areas to be targeted.

Chuck

Seems to me that the MNR have come up with another way to get a cash grab Can't wait till they come up with the Resident camping permit or crown land campfire wood fees and the ever popular public waterway fees

I can understand the delema about people who take their rig out 2 weeks before the May long and don't move it till labour day weekend those who camp at Kopka Lake know who I'm talking about :angry:

Git "er done

Barrski

Good to see that the MNR are going to enforce this rule in areas around lake shores, if I want to go camping I want to know that is first come first served and not having to compete with someone who takes the spot for the summer as they think it is their personal landing for the last +20 years

There is no gain for the MNR (government) unless people break the rules, if people want to camp for the season there is lots of tourist camps and Provincial Parks.

Pay up

barrski

Guest fishmasa

I totally agree with the way the MNR is going about dealing with this issue, it is long overdue IMHO. I hate when I pack the family up to go camping for the weekend and drive out to a lake and there are campers up on cylinder blocks with tarps covering them from May - September. Lakes that are particularly bad are Athelstane Lake and Drift Lake, what gets me is not only do they take up campings spots all year but they put up docks and make it their own camp.......perhaps the MNR should have a phone number to report these people. I do realize that leagaly they are allowed 21 days in one spot but we all know that they are there longer than that.

Canucker

I would agree, about time. Not sure why this is specific to only select lakes though, it should be across the board.

Guest drk

Barrski, fishmasa, and Canucker, all good points that I totally agree with. Maybe the tears of those who abuse will help with the drought, haha. :P

Guest mattyG

This is a great way to inforce the rules, I've been to several smaller lakes up Boreal rd where this is a huge issue, hopefully the signs go up everywhere.

Guest Walleye Man
I totally agree with the way the MNR is going about dealing with this issue, it is long overdue IMHO. I hate when I pack the family up to go camping for the weekend and drive out to a lake and there are campers up on cylinder blocks with tarps covering them from May - September. Lakes that are particularly bad are Athelstane Lake and Drift Lake, what gets me is not only do they take up campings spots all year but they put up docks and make it their own camp.......perhaps the MNR should have a phone number to report these people. I do realize that leagaly they are allowed 21 days in one spot but we all know that they are there longer than that.

They are allowed 21 days consective legally but the catch now is being occupied.

No more leaving it parked unoccupied.

I love it. Athelstane, Drift, Jesse, Nelson and Frazer Lakes are all ridiculous for this. I hope they hammer everyone.

Chuck

Doesn"t anyone rember the original 21 day camping permit??? Sorrta fell to the wayside... no one cared cause the MNR was too content watchin poachers at the Mac ........Not friggin likley :unsure: I don't mean to knock "em but if they don't have enough CO"s to police the rivers ,waterways and lakes..and now they have to be parking lot attendents ??? Not friggin likley

Somebody,s gotta pay Private enterprizee to step in and guess who has to pay.... increased fishing licence fees ???

BTW I could use a job that requires hangin out with campers who like fishin, partay,beers an sauna

Watchout........ I"ll chalk yer tires ......That"s all I gotta say "bout that" Chuck

:unsure:

Git "er done

mmgg

Sounds good, But those bad campers are just going to rip down the signs,,,,weld them to a steel post.

Just change the regulation,,,,you won't need signs.

Now just if we could get some enforcement to get people from camping at the boat launch turn arounds at the smaller lakes.

• Like 1

eddylives

More regulations they do not have the manpower to enforce.......

Wonder what they will dream up next?

It's going to be awsome lol.

I know I do not travel at 90K with my trailer , and there is nothing they can do about it , so a flood of camping units hitting our crappy highways every weekend will be interesting if not deadly for some.

And what about the enviromentally friendly emissions , a whole pile of extra driving under loaded conditions is not good.(I guess they will just crank up the price of fuel until only the rich can afford to do it).

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Foz

Just wondering, when it says camping beyond 21 days in a calendar year is prohibited, is that 21 consecutive days or 21 days total in a year.

Foz

Also, does it mean 21 days in a year at the same site or for all sites camped at combined?

NWO

From the MNR website:

In Ontario, travel for recreational purposes on Crown lands and waters is generally free and unrestricted. Generally, camping is allowed free on Crown land for up to 21 days at any one site, except where posted. To qualify for a separate site which can be occupied for an additional 21 days, a second camp site must be at least 100 metres from the first site. However, some Crown lands may have restricted travel zones for forest fire prevention, officially closed forest access roads and areas posted with signs to prohibit all or certain kinds of travel.

By reading that, I gather the 21-day rule was put in effect to get people to MOVE, and to curb squatting on the same camping spot (we've all seen it).

The new occupancy rules certainly adds a new twist. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out this summer. The reason I say that is under the former rules, it was hard to tell how long a trailer has been at a camp site...so I'm sure violations were difficult to prove and were rarely reported. Now? Violations are easy to spot and easy to report. Like I said, things will be interesting for sure.

Guest mattyG

It is 21 days total in one calander year, and I beileve its within 150 metres but not positive about that one.

Jayfishin

Nice to see that the MNR is doing this. There are alot of us who like to visit numerous sites throughout the summer but do to other squatters have been unable to enojy certain lakes. Good for the MNR to do this and hopefully it gets enforced.

Jay

THE_BIG_ONE

I read in the newspaper this morning that these signs are going up at Jessie Lake, Elizabeth Lake, and Frazer Lake. I wonder how manty trailer are gonna get towed out of Frazer when the FWC is on. Last year people had their trailers parked there 3 weeks before the tourney started and didnt come out one weekend until the day of the tourney.

eddylives

I think this regulation is a load of crap , sure enforce the 21 day rule but this is just going to screw alot of people like me from taking my children camping when funds are low. The fuel comsumption alone is a big difference from empty to trailering every weekend. What do they want here , everybody to set up in resorts?? just like being at home rubbing elbows with neighboors. Never mind the drastic lot price increases when the resort owners know we are over a barrel here.

They like to just stuff new regs down our throats and tell us to like it.

• Like 1

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it