• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

mexifin

Camping signs

Guest Mad Trapper

I think this regulation is great. There is nothing worse than getting to a lake with people camped at it and they do not leave enough space to launch the boat and park your vehicle.

Then to top it all off, you do park your truck and someone tells me I can't park in that spot because it is reserved for him and his buddies that are coming out, as he has his camper here all summer long. To make sure you understand, he tells you that if you do leave it parked in that spot, that I would not like the shape its in when I get back from fishing. At this point I consider teaching him how to swim with the fishes, however my family is with me, i get back in my truck and drive away. This regualtion is great as it will get rid of guys like this guy.

Mad trapper

speckmaster

I think you're wrong. Why should anyone be able to monopolize a spot for 3 weeks or longer? What about the guy that has to drive an extra half hour or so to find a place because people have their trailers or campers set up. Is that fair for them? They have to spend more money driving further. I can sympathize with you, but I don't agree.

I think this regulation is a load of crap , sure enforce the 21 day rule but this is just going to screw alot of people like me from taking my children camping when funds are low. The fuel comsumption alone is a big difference from empty to trailering every weekend. What do they want here , everybody to set up in resorts?? just like being at home rubbing elbows with neighboors. Never mind the drastic lot price increases when the resort owners know we are over a barrel here.

They like to just stuff new regs down our throats and tell us to like it.

• Like 1

eddylives
I think this regulation is great. There is nothing worse than getting to a lake with people camped at it and they do not leave enough space to launch the boat and park your vehicle.

Then to top it all off, you do park your truck and someone tells me I can't park in that spot because it is reserved for him and his buddies that are coming out, as he has his camper here all summer long. To make sure you understand, he tells you that if you do leave it parked in that spot, that I would not like the shape its in when I get back from fishing. At this point I consider teaching him how to swim with the fishes, however my family is with me, i get back in my truck and drive away. This regualtion is great as it will get rid of guys like this guy.

Mad trapper

I just tell people like that "your trucks , campers , boats and other equipment are subject to the same treatment fella , screw off.

Or "Threaten me again and you will be dealing with the police , I have your plate #'s."

There are different ways of dealing with the arseholes of the world , the choice is yours.

It's still another regulation stuffed down our throats without public consultation but I do not care when the highways are all snarled up on weekends , sucks to be stuck behind me lol.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Garbie

This is a good debate. I am a little mad that they have enforced this, I am one of these "squatters", and it will suck for me this year because of it. I play by the 21 day rule though and occupy the trailer basically early friday to mid day monday while there. The "prime spots are almost always available when I arrive on friday, but when a camper shows up sat afternoon its no surprise that they have been filled and he/she will be unhappy. The occupied rule seems a little stiff, I think a 10 day rule, like at Little Athelstane would have been a better option. Seems to me this new rule will be hard to enforce. Are the CO's going to be knocking on my door between 11:00-5:00? I seriously doubt that. Do I now have a curfew? Am I to be in bed at 11:00? Perhaps I am still fishing, perhaps I am at a fellow campers fire. How do they intend to tow a trailer with a slide out sticking out? At Nelson better use of money could have been used, instead of making a highway to the lake, leave the road alone and increase the camping area? Does that not improve the "lack of spots"

speckmaster

If the MNR wants to send the message that they're serious, they better have trailers towed right off the bat or no one follow the rule.

This is a good debate. I am a little mad that they have enforced this, I am one of these "squatters", and it will suck for me this year because of it. I play by the 21 day rule though and occupy the trailer basically early friday to mid day monday while there. The "prime spots are almost always available when I arrive on friday, but when a camper shows up sat afternoon its no surprise that they have been filled and he/she will be unhappy. The occupied rule seems a little stiff, I think a 10 day rule, like at Little Athelstane would have been a better option. Seems to me this new rule will be hard to enforce. Are the CO's going to be knocking on my door between 11:00-5:00? I seriously doubt that. Do I now have a curfew? Am I to be in bed at 11:00? Perhaps I am still fishing, perhaps I am at a fellow campers fire. How do they intend to tow a trailer with a slide out sticking out? At Nelson better use of money could have been used, instead of making a highway to the lake, leave the road alone and increase the camping area? Does that not improve the "lack of spots"

Canucker

At the end of the day, these are not private camping areas, so an attempt to make them more available for others to use is valid. If you want to park your trailer somewhere all summer, then park it at a resort. I am sure the resort owners will welcome the business. You being at your trailer every weekend does not do much for the guy that works weekend and wants to fish during the week. Sorry, but I am still of the opinion that enforcement of the 21 day rule is a good thing for the majority of the people.

Guest explorer

I play by the 21 day rule no problem. However, I also use my trailer as a "home base" for smaller, sometimes overnight excursions to other lakes. With this new "rule" I won't be allowed to do this. The same goes for night fishing. As far as I'm concerned they already can't enforce the 21 day rule, how in the world are they going to enforce this...

If my trailer is in your way when you get there, go somewhere else. We live in Northwestern Ontario for god sakes! Lots of room!

I also can't wait for the people to start complaining that the roads are worse than ever because of all the trailer traffic...You can bet that i won't be going out of my way to fix any potholes or washouts like i used too...

Finally, thank god the authorities have more stuff to do than to look out for real criminals. They must have caught all the poachers and needed something else to do...

eddylives
At the end of the day, these are not private camping areas, so an attempt to make them more available for others to use is valid. If you want to park your trailer somewhere all summer, then park it at a resort. I am sure the resort owners will welcome the business. You being at your trailer every weekend does not do much for the guy that works weekend and wants to fish during the week. Sorry, but I am still of the opinion that enforcement of the 21 day rule is a good thing for the majority of the people.

And there are those of us thay will say that if you must have the premium camping spot all the time then go to the resorts and rent a premium spot for the year.

I have been places that people Arf Arf they don't have the spot right beside the lake because they are not the first there. It is first come first serve on crown land.

As for those that block up boat launches , call the OPP and Ministry to sort it out , and ith them over they will , I have been in contact with them over the jacka$$es that try to block acess to public roads during hunting season. (there has even been incidents of trucks being pushed off the road , guns drawn and pointed , very bad for those involved lol).

For those that drag around every weekend , do not expect to get the best spot everywhere you go , its not going to happen.

Guys like me are going to beat you there most of the time , so occupied or not regs will make no difference.

You all have to realize that this is just stepping one to much worse regulations in the future.

Whats next..... Occupied all the time on crown land??????

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

mmgg

No use complaining,,you had a good run of owning a lake side camp for free,,,,,,,,

Unfortunately lots of these guys paid $20,000 for a trailer,,,a $500 fine is pretty cheap for a private lot for the summer.

More regulations no one wants ,but because of a few ,,,we all pay.

Have a good one.

Guest MiniMe

This problem of people claiming the lake as there's, is not new, it's been going on forever. Nothing beats driving down to the lake at 6:00 am in May or June and the local mayor of the landing steps out of his trailer with uncombed hair and morning breath and looks at you side ways like, "who invited you" and you better be quiet because were trying to sleep. Now get moving and get that boat in the water while I walk down my dock that I built for my boat because I'm going to be here until September long weekend.

Does everyone get the picture. Doesn't matter whether your at work, social or the coffee shop it's the same old same old, people complaining about the guy who is parked at the lake of your choice for the entire summer and that's why the MNR is getting involved. 21 consecutive days I guess is not enough. 3 weeks then you can move to the next lake for another 21 days for "FREE". People always want more, they want to stay all summer. Next it's going to be "NO" overnight camping. How would you like them apples, never say never.

My suggestion for those of you that want to park your unit for the entire season in one spot, make a list of all the lakes that are being posted and avoid them, "that's simple" because what the hell there's lots of room and places to go here in North Western Ontario.

uncle

I've been to campgrounds exactly like that MiniMe, right down to the mayor/rules maker. (they don't like me there) This new regulation is going to change the way many people camp as they are equipped beyond their means if they can't leave their trailer through the week. I can foresee campgrounds springing up within a mile of the boat launch and trailering the boat to the lake as a way to get around the new law. Other than missing the cooler temperatures and the sounds of the lake it won't bother many campers who only fish a couple hours on a weekend anyway. They need a place for kids to play and adults to party with the same crowd year after year, it's their summer neighbourhood in my mind. We are blessed with thousands of kilometers of bush roads that make the wilderness available to us, I guess maybe some work will be needed in some areas to make them "campable".

No-one has mentioned leasing lots or summer employment for students checking these sites. And of course the phone line to report offenders.

I think maybe reduce the 21 days to 12 and a minimum distance from the launch might have been a better way to go.

Guest mattyG

puting up these signs is a good idea, but theres a big difference in puting up the signs and actually enforcing the rule, I have a hard time beleiving that the MNR will be able to attend all these lakes and knocking on all these trailer doors every single night. so these signs just might be a waste of tax payer money.

canadianyanke

I have mixed feelings about this. Is this zone wide or is it lake/campground specific? There were 3 campers at the North Launch on Jesse Lake last summer that were there before maylong and they were still there when I finished the creel in mid september that i didnt see once all summer and I worked weekends.

Azarius

Be smart about it, if you do it....

Where I park, it takes me 2.5hrs from the door of my house in T.Bay to the trailer. Once a popular lake, overfishing combined with an awful, pot-filled road and the price of gas has driven folks away... Out almost all of last summer we could count the number of weekend campers there on 2 hands...

There were a few day fishers, but we park out trailer so that access to the launch isn't a problem... In fact, we often help folks launch their boats due to lake familiarity and a pickup with a ball on the front.

We've lost track of the # of garbage bags of trash we've pulled out of the other camp spots after the few weekenders have left (it's often worse in the fall after the hunters from S. Ontario/United States are up).

We've also helped to maintain the road into the lake by trimming brush, filling in potholes and such (including putting in a new culvert last fall to prevent the road from washing out).

Because the lake isn't often used now, if a boat doesn't come back from a day trip we've often hit the water ourselves to check to make others were okay.

We do not park in the prime real-estate - the beach front property. We purposely left that open so that folks coming up for weekends would have the nicest place to camp with a nice beach/swimming for the kids.

If it starts getting enforced, we will move our trailers 300'... but from where we are, the 300' will put is in the prime beach front, something we've been trying to avoid.

Be considerate, clean up your mess and help others. It's not that difficult, IMHO.

Guest Walleye Man

People are talking about how they feel the MNR won't be able to enforce this new regulation. Well people better abide by it or you will end up with a lot worse.

The lower launch on Jessie Lake and Burchell Lake come to mind...................No over night camping period.

Barrski
Be smart about it, if you do it....

Where I park, it takes me 2.5hrs from the door of my house in T.Bay to the trailer. Once a popular lake, overfishing combined with an awful, pot-filled road and the price of gas has driven folks away... Out almost all of last summer we could count the number of weekend campers there on 2 hands...

There were a few day fishers, but we park out trailer so that access to the launch isn't a problem... In fact, we often help folks launch their boats due to lake familiarity and a pickup with a ball on the front.

We've lost track of the # of garbage bags of trash we've pulled out of the other camp spots after the few weekenders have left (it's often worse in the fall after the hunters from S. Ontario/United States are up).

We've also helped to maintain the road into the lake by trimming brush, filling in potholes and such (including putting in a new culvert last fall to prevent the road from washing out).

Because the lake isn't often used now, if a boat doesn't come back from a day trip we've often hit the water ourselves to check to make others were okay.

We do not park in the prime real-estate - the beach front property. We purposely left that open so that folks coming up for weekends would have the nicest place to camp with a nice beach/swimming for the kids.

If it starts getting enforced, we will move our trailers 300'... but from where we are, the 300' will put is in the prime beach front, something we've been trying to avoid.

Be considerate, clean up your mess and help others. It's not that difficult, IMHO.

Good to hear you have approached this the right way, if other groups would have done the same there would be no need for signs

Well done

Have a good season

barrski

Guest wardman

here is the info that was in newspaper

Frazer, Elizabeth, Jessie lake no unoccupied units between 11:00 pm and 5:00 am, compliance of the 21 day camping policy will be inforced, units may be removed and or fines applied

Phil Couture

MNR nipigon district office

807-887-5020

East bay of Dog Lake, Nelson, athelstane lake, no unoccupied units between 11;00 pm and 5:00 am, compliance of the 21 day camping policy will be inforced, maxium of only 10 days at Athelstane, units may be removed and or fined

Andor Petrovich

MNR Thunder Bay

807-475-1136

here is the info any one needs to report the abuse of the camping policy, I think that with enough people calling the MNR and asking for units to be removed it will happen, I don't think the fines will work, It would be cheaper to pay the fines than to pay at a resort.

Backcountry

Hi Folks. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I figured that I would search first and this came up. 

Is this still an issue for people? Are these rules being enforced? 

I ask because I'm planning an early summer trip to the area with my truck camper. Looking at bouncing around the area for about a week and I'd hate to come all that way and have no place to set up. 

Some Old Guy

It's hard to say. Sometimes there isn't anyone at a spot then the next day it's full.

What area are you thinking of?

Roger

• Like 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Backcountry

I'm thinking Nipigon River around Jesse Lake and get up to the lake and launch a boat as well. Couple days here, couple days there. Likely start there and work our way back to Kenora. 

crazyctr
On 5/6/2010 at 5:09 PM, Foz said:

Just wondering, when it says camping beyond 21 days in a calendar year is prohibited, is that 21 consecutive days or 21 days total in a year.

that means 21 days total that has been in the workings for awhile now

hbaits.jpg