• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

3rd year in a row for base forage loss

Some Old Guy

I would like to say congratulations to the township of Neebing for once again putting Oliver Lake to the back of it's priority list. This is the third year in a row that the culvert joining Oliver Lake and Pictured Lake has not been repaired. This also marks a potential collapse of white sucker forage in this lake.

Please don't quote low water levels this year. This is the third year in a row that the water is high.

Yes I have read the Neebing News stating that the Neebing Township, MNR and DFO have been looking at the situation. Yes I also read the information stating that our taxes would go up over this repair. So WHAT??? Fix it!

This needed to be done when the problem was noticed. The white suckers cannot spawn, for the 3rd year in a row, in the only creek on the lake.

I have talked and corresponded with the TWP, and MNR all I get is "We're looking into it". You came and saw, now fix it!

I will be taking pictures of the situation and posting them here. If this was me or somebody else constricting a water way we would have been fined and dragged through thorns!!!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

maak
I would like to say congratulations to the township of Neebing for once again putting Oliver Lake to the back of it's priority list. This is the third year in a row that the culvert joining Oliver Lake and Pictured Lake has not been repaired. This also marks a potential collapse of white sucker forage in this lake.

Please don't quote low water levels this year. This is the third year in a row that the water is high.

Yes I have read the Neebing News stating that the Neebing Township, MNR and DFO have been looking at the situation. Yes I also read the information stating that our taxes would go up over this repair. So WHAT??? Fix it!

This needed to be done when the problem was noticed. The white suckers cannot spawn, for the 3rd year in a row, in the only creek on the lake.

I have talked and corresponded with the TWP, and MNR all I get is "We're looking into it". You came and saw, now fix it!

I will be taking pictures of the situation and posting them here. If this was me or somebody else constricting a water way we would have been fined and dragged through thorns!!!

Roger

Roger, is this in the right location??? Sounds a bit like a post for the "Rage Cage" I'm just kidding!! Waiting to see the pictures, as I pass that way in order to get to my brother's place...

maak

Chuck

HEY ROGER show us the pics I caught lottsa perch outta Rainbow Lk... suckers ... not so much

I Didn't target them though.... but hey their part of the eco system.... Done rite they taste fantastic

Git "er done

Some Old Guy

I took a few pictures but due to the light you can't see the fish stacked up. I'll try in the morning.

What has happened is that there are two culverts. One is the main drainage, and the other one is an over flow culvert. The main one has been bent in the middle and the end that is in Oliver lake has bent up so the water needs to be at a higher level for the water to flow through it. The water isn't high enough. This culvert is also jammed as it has caved in in the middle. The other culvert is free for water flow but the water isn't high enough. There is some flow but a water line going through the culvert prevents the fish from using it at the downstream end.

As for eating suckers, no I don't eat them, I'm just concerned as they are a fish that the bigger fish eat.

Roger

Guest borealboy

This may seem like a crazy idea but if they are stacked up at the culvert, why not catch some and throw them in the lake? Even a couple of dozen can lay alot of eggs.

Some Old Guy

They are in the lake. They need to spawn in the current. The creek flows out of the lake and they need to go downstream. The creek is only 2-5 inches deep due to no water flow. So catching them and putting them where they should be wouldn't do anything other than kill them.

Roger