• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Exploring career options

Lyle Reiner

Im exploring my career options after 2 years of school and no real job offers (Heavy Equipment Mechanic)

I am considering looking in to becoming a CO, as I have fished all my life and went hunting with my father until I was legal to do it myself.

What kind of education is needed to apply for this position and what is the application process?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest MNR

Becoming a Conservation Officer requires education, training and dedication.

A new recruit would be expected to possess some knowledge and experience in the field of natural resources management and knowledge of the related legislation. Other desired qualities include excellent communication and interpersonal skills; analytical, investigative and intelligence gathering skills; the ability to work independently and proficiency in computer use, handling firearms, and hunting and fishing.

Approximately 250 students graduate from college programs in this field each year, making this an extremely competitive field of employment.

General Requirements

There are also several key criteria without which a candidate cannot be appointed, including:

the ability to qualify as a Conservation/Peace Officer;

possession of a valid driver's licence;

the ability to complete use of force training and firearms certification;

the ability to meet the physical demands of the position; and,

a willingness to work in remote locations, travel for extended periods of time, work shifts, weekends and holidays and perform your duties effectively despite inclement weather.

CO positions occur periodically throughout the province. Jobs with the OPS are advertised at the following site which provides helpful advice on how to apply for Ontario Public Service jobs.

www.gojobs.gov.on.ca

Educational Opportunities

Although it is not a mandatory requirement, a diploma in natural resource management would help prepare you for a career in natural resources enforcement. Candidates with related training and experience (e.g. a similar position in another province or in law enforcement) may also be considered. Some examples of post-secondary institutions in Ontario that may offer related programs include:

Algonquin College

315 Pembroke Street East

Pembroke, Ontario

K8A 3K2

Collège Boréal (offers courses in French)

21 Lasalle Boulevard

Sudbury, Ontario

P3A 6B1

Confederation College

P.O. Box 398

Thunder Bay, Ontario

P7C 4W1

Lakehead University

Oliver Road

Thunder Bay, Ontario

P7B 5E1

Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology