• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jayfishin

Current Moose Draw System

Jayfishin

This surplus tag thing still doesn't make sense to me.

How can there be tags available in a WMU when everyone who applied in pool 1 (singles) did not get a tag? I realize that there is a guarenteed group size, who are given tags first, then they supposedly go down one group size and give those people (in groups) tags next. After that, everyone is supposedly put in as singles for the remainder of the tags to be drawn. When a single gets a tag they supposedly check to see if they had applied in a smaller group and if so, then remove those other group members (as well). I am not correct or has it changed in the last five years? (I understand there is also the 5% advantage for us northerns) .

If the above assumption is correct then how can a guy who applied in pool 1 not get a tag in a WMU where the MNR is saying there are surplus ones for that same WMU???

Jay

Guest MNR

Your understanding of the moose draw process is correct (see pg 37 in the 2010 Hunting Regulations Summary). After the biologists have determined the allocation of bull, cow and (in some WMUs) calf tags for a unit based on the population estimate (aerial surveys) and hunter success rates (moose hunter mail-in surveys) five percent of the adult moose validation tags for Wildlife Management UUnits north of the French and Mattawa Rivers are held back from the regular draw for northern residents who have not been successful in the draw for at least two years and the current annual draw.

The draw then goes through its various stages:

1. Guaranteed Group Size

2. Large Group Size

3. Random Individual

4. Northern Resident Draw

The reason that there are surplus tags left over after these four steps is because, in some Wildlife Management Units (notably 15B), there aren’t enough northern hunters tototo meet the criteria for the northern resident draw (i.e., have not been successful in the draw for at least two years and were unsuccessful in the current draw). Therefore, the tags that are showing up as ‘surplus’ are the tags left over from the five percent northern resident allocation. During Phase 2 of the Moose Program Review, MNR sought and heard the views of hunters on how the resident draw system could be improved. That input is currently being considered and will help determine as to how best to improve the resident tag draw system.