• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jason

Steepledge lake

jason

Just wondering if there is a trail to the lake or any kind of access. I know where the road is that takes me in the general area. Any info would be much appreciated, PM if you want.

Jason.

jason

Did some exploring on the quad on Tuesday and noticed a couple of boats at the lake. Im just wondering if anyone knows whos boats they are, and if i could get permission to use one as i don't touch anything unless its mine. Thought i would ask since its the curtious thing to do. I also picked up a bunch of garbage at the landing, it drives me nuts. Lots of nice trails out there for riding. thanks.

Just wondering if there is a trail to the lake or any kind of access. I know where the road is that takes me in the general area. Any info would be much appreciated, PM if you want.

Jason.

speckmaster

If the boats aren't locked, I'd use them. As long as you don't damage them or leave garbage in them I'm sure the owners won't care.

Did some exploring on the quad on Tuesday and noticed a couple of boats at the lake. Im just wondering if anyone knows whos boats they are, and if i could get permission to use one as i don't touch anything unless its mine. Thought i would ask since its the curtious thing to do. I also picked up a bunch of garbage at the landing, it drives me nuts. Lots of nice trails out there for riding. thanks.

Guest ratherfishthanwork
If the boats aren't locked, I'd use them. As long as you don't damage them or leave garbage in them I'm sure the owners won't care.

Had this conversation before with the MNR before, just because there is a boat sitting on shore does not mean you can use it there is no boat cache policy so it could be conceived as theft. Plus you never know when the owner will show up and if this was the day when he planned on using his boat he may not be pleased when it is not there when he get's there.

Guest Jimithy
Had this conversation before with the MNR before, just because there is a boat sitting on shore does not mean you can use it there is no boat cache policy so it could be conceived as theft. Plus you never know when the owner will show up and if this was the day when he planned on using his boat he may not be pleased when it is not there when he get's there.

I used to have a special little bass lake out in the middle of nowhere that was great. Every cast you caught a fish. This was very isolated and could only be accessed by driving down a bunch of back roads and then portaging over some steep cliffs. no other boat / quad access. It made for low pressure and the good fishing as mentioned.

Anyway, the hike was a couple km so a bit of a pain in the butt in terms of portaging a canoe however, there was a cache of canoes down there under some trees. They were old beaters and had spray painted on the bottom "Please don't steal". I figured , he didn't say please don't borrow, so It must be ok to borrow one canoe and put it back. So I did this for about 2 or 3 years, once or twice a year until one day I hiked down in late fall to find the canoes all sunken in the lake with axe holes through out. Some one had come down and found them and chopped them up!

So I waded in and pulled them out of the water, one at a time and stashed them back under their tree. One wasn't too bad and if we continually bailed, we could float and fish so we took it out. Found another canoe in the next bay so we pulled it back too. After some fishing we headed back to the launch and who's there but the owner with all his mangled canoes and sheepish me in one of his canoes!

He was obviously irate and I sympathized, as I wouldn't want my canoes all chopped up.. Anyway, he calmed down and we got to talking and I let him know that I had been using his canoe for years. It turned out he figured people would use them and he was ok with that... just not the smashing..

Anyway, this is a bit of an off topic anecdote, but 2 days out of 365 I go to the lake, and I never ever see anybody else. The one day I find all the canoes smashed and the owner shows up. If you borrow the boats, it could be your day to meet the owner too!