• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Garbie

Cold Weather Diesel

Garbie

Looking to see what you guys to start your diesel trucks while out on the lake in winter? I can't get mine to the shack so I have limited options. Was wondering if anyone uses a webasto? Or maybe just a programmed remote starter? Any pros, cons, suggestions?

Kayaker

Throw a generator in the back if needed, plug in for an hour and your good to go. I am new to diesels but have had no trouble in winter for starting. although cold starts = more smoke <_<

Barrski
Looking to see what you guys to start your diesel trucks while out on the lake in winter? I can't get mine to the shack so I have limited options. Was wondering if anyone uses a webasto? Or maybe just a programmed remote starter? Any pros, cons, suggestions?

The old reliable propane tiger torch with a short pipe and elbow works great.

barrski

huntnfish

Make sure that you run light oil in the winter. I run 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 or 0W30 in the winter. You will also need to make sure that all your glow plugs are working. One bad glow plug and it screws up the timer and the cycle making your truck tough to start. Also good batteries are a must. No crank, no start. I have a Ford 7.3 and it starts no problem in -40. Hopefully the new Dodge can do the same.

mexifin

I have a chev 6.2 diesel, I use 0-30 (arctic oil)you can get it at the Petro Can by the Keg. Thick oil is what is hard on your starter and make sure you have 2 good bateries. you can also buy an oil pan heater but you need a generator for that.

uncle

I don't have a diesel, never had a diesel and will never own a diesel :) but if I'm leaving my truck parked for any length of time I take full advantage of solar heat by parking it where it gets the the most afternoon sun. There are solar powered trickle chargers that are not too expensive that would be an extra benefit.

Lyle Reiner

i know a few guys who have installed intake heaters, run 3 or 4 block heaters etc...but like said above nothin beats a tiger torch with an elbow pointed at the oil pan for a few... (if its really cold tarp in the hood of the truck to the ground where the tiger torch is..)

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest TCom

Diesels are excellent cold weather machines if properly maintained, here's a few good guidelines for keeping a diesel nice and reliable for the winter months.

- Most important, batteries. Most modern diesels run 2 batteries for a combined rating of 1100+ CCA. If you can't roll it over at a decent speed it makes the job exponentially harder.

- A few guys already mentioned it but lighter oil in the winter works wonders. Not only will it allow the motor to roll over a little more freely during startup, but it won't starve the top end of the motor for the first 10 seconds or so of idle time. The only thing I caution about lighter oil is to watch your oil pressure while idling when the motor is hot. The engines are meant to run on 15w40 so when the lighter oil gets good and hot the oil pressure can drop while idling.

- Change the fuel filter before winter and throw a bottle of conditioner in the tank now and again, don't starve the poor thing for fuel when it's cold.

- Your glow plugs are more than likely on a timer so if you cycle the key on for 10-15 seconds, turn it off then back on it'll reset the plug timer in cold weather. Do this a few times then crank it.

- Never ever ever .... ever use ether on a modern diesel, good way to take your head off.

- If all else fails bust out the tiger torch just keep any exposed flames off the oil pan 'cause it can catch the oil in the blow-by tube on fire then you have a big mess on your hands.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Travis Schallock

All good points, unless it is extremely cold and parked long term you shouldn't have any trouble. Most newer HPCR diesels start very well in the winter even if they are not plugged in. Another trick is bringing along some charcoal, and a couple of tin oven trays. Fill a tray, light the charcoal, and cover it with the other tray, and slide it under the oil pan. It takes a little time, but is easy to carry with you and works well.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

levi64

Never had a problem in the winter. And I run 0-40 all year round in my cummins, remote starter on the ice. Howe's fuel treatment for the winter. Some remote starters can be set to turn the engine over at designated timings.

levi64
I don't have a diesel, never had a diesel and will never own a diesel :) but if I'm leaving my truck parked for any length of time I take full advantage of solar heat by parking it where it gets the the most afternoon sun. There are solar powered trickle chargers that are not too expensive that would be an extra benefit.

Thats nice Uncle but this is Diesel talk. ;)

uncle
Thats nice Uncle but this is Diesel talk. ;)

but if I'm leaving my truck parked for any length of time I take full advantage of solar heat by parking it where it gets the the most afternoon sun. There are solar powered trickle chargers that are not too expensive that would be an extra benefit.

Garbie
Never had a problem in the winter. And I run 0-40 all year round in my cummins, remote starter on the ice. Howe's fuel treatment for the winter. Some remote starters can be set to turn the engine over at designated timings.

I think I will probably end up going the remote starter application. A buddy has one is his 6.0 Powerstroke and it works pretty well for him. I would really like to go the Webasto way, but have heard mixed reviews with them. I have yet to get a actual cost on the Webasto and am pretty scared of what it might be. The only time starting will be an issue is ice fishing, so buying a couple thousand dollar heater might be pretty silly. I guess the tiger torch would work for me, but I am thinking only as a last resort.