• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest StrikeMaster

Late Ice Specs

Guest StrikeMaster

I was just reading the post about late season specs. I've always had good luck this time of year for specs in the small lakes. I use mainly just minnows and worms on straight hooks. I got this picture from my cousin and thought I'd put it up just to show that specs do bite well in the late season :D. It was from last week on the march break. My uncle and cousin and a couple others went out a couple times over the break and did well each time.

IPB Image

Guest Big Moose

Fish like that are way more fun to catch on a ultra light set up in the summer,but thats just my preference.They taste damn good no matter what time of year I'd have to say.

Guest Mr. Canoe

Went to a nearby stocked brook trout lake on Sunday in the pouring rain, and did very well. Fish were biting well all afternoon. I was pulling fish out of the weeds in water that was between 3ft and LESS THAN 1 FOOT DEEP! Could not believe that the fish were actually coming up into my 8" hole to attack minows, worms and small orange tube jigs. Once I learned to let the fish run with the bait a little before setting the hook, it was, well.. easy! Biggest was 14" but lost/saw some bigger ones. Not bad for my first visit to this tiny lake, sure won't be my last. Also my first time catching specks through the ice (second time trying), so yeah, I can't complain. :D

Guest Angler AV

I was just reading the post about late season specs. I've always had good luck this time of year for specs in the small lakes. I use mainly just minnows and worms on straight hooks. I got this picture from my cousin and thought I'd put it up just to show that specs do bite well in the late season :D. It was from last week on the march break. My uncle and cousin and a couple others went out a couple times over the break and did VERY well each time.

IPB Image

This image makes me ill. Such a slaughter of nice Brookies in their prime. I think keeping 4 or 5 for the table is fine but that is 20!, and they are fairly large.

Stocked lakes are there for more than just providing food for us to eat, they are also stocked to provide fun angling opportunities for everyone.

Other people on this site have praised you for this catch which is their opinion, so don't jump on me for sharing an opinion....it just happens to be different.

G

Some Old Guy

Well 4 or five brookies would be ok. I think there were four or five people involved catching those brookies. So twenty fish divided by 4 or five would equal five or four wouldn't it?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Angler AV

Well 4 or five brookies would be ok. I think there were four or five people involved catching those brookies. So twenty fish divided by 4 or five would equal five or four wouldn't it?

Roger

4 or 5 would make a good feed for the group if they wanted a nice fry after fishing, why stockpile the freezer every weekend?

I thought the times of keeping your limit of fish every weekend died with our parents and grandparents generation....I guess I am wrong again.

I suppose I will have to keep none at all now to counter balance the other guy keeping everything. Someone has to conserve the resource I guess.

G

gone fishin'

4 or 5 would make a good feed for the group if they wanted a nice fry after fishing, why stockpile the freezer every weekend?

I thought the times of keeping your limit of fish every weekend died with our parents and grandparents generation....I guess I am wrong again.

I suppose I will have to keep none at all now to counter balance the other guy keeping everything. Someone has to conserve the resource I guess.

G

As far as I understand the rules, if you kept that many brook trout in your freezer, but the other three people with licences went home, then you would be breaking the law by having well beyond your posession limit. Also, if you kept those fish and everyone lived under the same roof, you couldn't fish for any more without breaking the same law of posession of your legal limit. Therefore, you couldn't really stock pile fish without severe consequences if it is ever discovered by the authorities.

Now, I'm not saying I am on either side of this debate, just giving my two cents on my understanding of the law. If I'm incorrect then please correct me.

Guest Dan

My uncle and cousin and a couple others went out a couple times over the break and did VERY well each time.

I've been biting my tongue over this post, but since the cat is out of the bag, I'll add my 2 cents.

According to your quote, 4 people went out two times within a week "and did very well each time". The photo obviously shows the catch from only one of the trips. It's a limit of trophy Brook Trout. Nice. And they did this twice in one week? How many people did it take to eat the first catch before the second one was taken? I'd guess that each fish in the photo is enough to feed at least three very hungry people. So my math says that 60 people were fed with the pictured catch before the next outing.

Anyways, nice photo. You should get it enlarged and hang in over your mantle. Until Next March. Then you can replace it with a fresh one.

Guest StrikeMaster

Haha...how did I know I was going to get replies like this on this picture on this site. I'm not even going to get into it other then that I didn't say there was FOUR people who went and I didn't say they got their limit. I think there was about 10 people all together including 4-5 KIDS that went out. Delete this post if it upsets the critics on this board too much Roger.

I also didn't say this was an example in conservation, but I dont think there is anything wrong with taking some kids out a few times a year and catching a couple limits of specs.

Guest Big Moose

And if everybody went out and maxed out on limits every couple weeks just because we can where would we be?Yah exactly piss poor fishing or none at all.Like you Dan I've been biting my tongue aswell.Now I realize that the limit is what it is but this doesn't mean go and max out every couple days or weeks.Like most people I may take one a month maybe two if I'm having company over for a dinner just for the sake of conservation. Maybe you haven't noticed that the spec fishing isn't what it used to be. <_<

BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. :huh:

I don't think anybody here has a problem with taking kids out fishing it's great that you do but why not teach a little conservation when doing so they will appreciate fishing the same spot 20 years down the road.

And I don't think this post should be deleted as it's a good subject for debate we're all entitled to our opinions whether it be wrong or right.

A little common sense don't cost much but a little bit of ignorance comes with a heavy toll.

Guest TerryK

I too was biting my tongue since this was first posted. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a limit once in a while and I don't condem you for it Strikemaster but this whole story does bother me just a bit....but that 's just me! I haven't killed a trout of any kind in at least 15 years. Im not a huge fan of eating any kind of fish but I will keep a few walleyes for the table once in a while. I guess what bothers me is what kind of message these kids are getting about conservation. Are they being taught what it means to leave some for next time of for the good of the fishery? Please don't take offence, I'm just wondering. Like I said, I'm kind of a fanatic about catch and release.

Guest StrikeMaster

Okay...we gotta get one thing straight. I wasn't even involved on this trip. And... on the day of thise picture, and the other days they did let A LOT of fish go. I personally do alot of catch and release and I realize the importance of it, but like everyone else on here said...I keep some fish for the pan too, and I don't think anything is wrong with that.

I do not know some of the people who went, so I can't speak for them, but I know that my uncle has taught my cousin how important conservation is and he realizes it. If you could see some of the trophy fish he has let go in his life, at his age, it would be easier to understand.

Guest Big Moose

You had to know that this post would spark some interest whether it be good or bad vibes,Dude yah just had to know.

Guest Munshaw

I'm a big advocate of catch and release. That being said though, besides the "fun factor" of catching fish, I think releasing stocked fish in their prime is kind of like throwing money down the hole. Those fish are very expensive to culture, raise, and stock. If they're not caught and eaten they just die a natural death and thats the end of it. They're not reproducing down there as far as I know. That many fish *may* be excessive if done often, but I don't see the point of catch and release stocked fish. That is of course discounting the "fun factor" as mentioned for others. Then again lakes are stocked every second year. Am I wrong?

Some Old Guy

Right on Munshaw!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bill Arnott

I'm a big advocate of catch and release. That being said though, besides the "fun factor" of catching fish, I think releasing stocked fish in their prime is kind of like throwing money down the hole. Those fish are very expensive to culture, raise, and stock. If they're not caught and eaten they just die a natural death and thats the end of it. They're not reproducing down there as far as I know. That many fish *may* be excessive if done often, but I don't see the point of catch and release stocked fish. That is of course discounting the "fun factor" as mentioned for others. Then again lakes are stocked every second year. Am I wrong?

There are some good points in this post however I am siding with those who feel this is excessive. According to your views about throwing money down the hole - these lakes are stocked using funds belonging to every angler who holds a sportfishing license. Therefore we all have some "ownership" of the results of stocking them into a specific lake. If there were 2000 fry stocked and there were 500 of those fish remaining 2 years later I'm sure it would be an outstanding success. I'm not sure of the number of anglers in Thunder Bay and area but I'm confident there are well over 500. Therefore the lake can obviously not tolerate this level of pressure without some adverse effects. That being said , a big reason for creating these fisheries is to reduce pressure on naturally reproducing populations that would take many years to recover from this type of behavior. The lake trout fishery on Lake Nipigon is a prime example of how overharvest can damage even the largest waterbodies. I spent a lot of time out there in the early 90's when you could easily boat multiple 20 pounders each day. The keeping of limits of these fish did not take many seasons to show it's results. While still a world class fishery it's a shadow of it's former self. Teaching young anglers to take the max before some other person takes them all is an attitude that must change if we are to continue to enjoy some of the finest fishing on the planet.

Just because you have the right - that don't make it right.

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Guest Angler AV

There are some good points in this post however I am siding with those who feel this is excessive. According to your views about throwing money down the hole - these lakes are stocked using funds belonging to every angler who holds a sportfishing license. Therefore we all have some "ownership" of the results of stocking them into a specific lake. If there were 2000 fry stocked and there were 500 of those fish remaining 2 years later I'm sure it would be an outstanding success. I'm not sure of the number of anglers in Thunder Bay and area but I'm confident there are well over 500. Therefore the lake can obviously not tolerate this level of pressure without some adverse effects. That being said , a big reason for creating these fisheries is to reduce pressure on naturally reproducing populations that would take many years to recover from this type of behavior. The lake trout fishery on Lake Nipigon is a prime example of how overharvest can damage even the largest waterbodies. I spent a lot of time out there in the early 90's when you could easily boat multiple 20 pounders each day. The keeping of limits of these fish did not take many seasons to show it's results. While still a world class fishery it's a shadow of it's former self. Teaching young anglers to take the max before some other person takes them all is an attitude that must change if we are to continue to enjoy some of the finest fishing on the planet.

Just because you have the right - that don't make it right.

I think your post is right on the money Slick Willy! Especially this line "Teaching young anglers to take the max before some other person takes them all is an attitude that must change if we are to continue to enjoy some of the finest fishing on the planet."

I have fished with people who have the attitude that we better keep our full limit every time because if we don't the next guy will.....(if you do this you are no better than the next guy). I have heard the line "the lake is going to get hammered anyway so you may as well get yours while you can" This point of view was around at the turn of the century when buffalo were almost gone so hunting parties went out to get the last of them before they were all gone.....and this attitude still exists today!!!....very sad indeed.

What a bad life lesson this is to be teaching children or first time anglers.

We don't want to end up like the resource abusers who fish the Vermillion in Sudbury....I perish the thought.

We have all fished small stocked BT lakes that are great for a couple of years and then you go the next year and maybe one or two and then again maybe nothing. So you move on to another lake that has been more recently stocked and the musical chairs of lakes begins. This is a normal thing in this area and probably most of Ontario. With everyone practicing a little more conservation, and selective harvesting, these lakes would not necessarily have to get fished out sp quick sometimes.

I think it is our duty as concerned, knowledgable anglers to speak out when our fisheries resources are being abused, even if it is our buddies, family or old uncle Bob who you know has more than his limit of multiple species in his freezer as we speak.

This post has sparked some great points and conversation, it is through debate that things will change.

G

Thefishleclair

The way I see it..We pay fer em..Why not take em??? I would deffinatly keep my limit from a stocked lake...And If my kids were with me they would haul there 5 too. Mind you I dont like specks to much..Ate to many growing up!!!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest Angler AV

The way I see it..We pay fer em..Why not take em??? I would deffinatly keep my limit from a stocked lake...And If my kids were with me they would haul there 5 too. Mind you I dont like specks to much..Ate to many growing up!!!

If this post is not a joke then I feel sorry for you...and your kids.

Guest petey

I am kind of on the fence here. I agree that everyone has the right to keep fish for tablefare. I suppose if you objectively look at it, to be an "ethical" fisherman, all you have to do is follw thr rules that are laid out before us. Unfortunaely, those same rules aren't always what is best for a fishery. I love a good feed of eyes. Who doesn't. Can anyone say that they wouldn't keep a limit of nice 15-17" eaters?? Maybe a few, but I doubt it. Maye I am wrong, but c'est la vie. On the other hand, I have a hard time keeping any trout. I keep one steelhead hen every year, and that is it. I look forward to that BBQ every year. I am not sure if respect is the proper term, because I think a walleye is a marvellous fish as well, but i just look at trout different. Maybe because it seems you can hit any lake/river/stream up there and catch warm water species. Seems when you have to put in the extra work to find good sized specs like that, it is a shame to bonk them all. I know, your post says lots were released, but the pic shows a nice healthy bag. I know my post sounds like I am contradicting myself, but hey, it happens.

Petey

Guest loggerpete

Nice Brookies dude,I`m a little jealous I didn`t get any thats size.

I keep my limit everytime I go out unless I already have a limit in my freezer.I don`t need to stock pile like other guys I know cause I try to go out couple times each and every season.

The guy posted his picture on this site and right away he is attacked for doing well.

If he is breaking the law do you think he would post that picture?? DAHHH

Take it easy ladies

Gone8to1248

As being new to Brook trout fishing and after reading Slick Willies post I have a couple of questions. When you say there is 2000 fry put in and in 2 years if there is 500 of them left does that meen 1500 die from predator fish and sickness? And the remainning 500 grow to be catchable fish? Does the MNR take a survey of these stocked lakes before putting more fish into it or is it automatically done every 2 years?

After looking through one of the books from up there on the stocked lakes, some of them are very difficult to get to. I can understand in the winter with snow machines and ATV's where it might be easier and in the summer when the woods are grown over it could become a real project. How many of these stocked lakes see ANY fishing pressure in the summer or winter? If none to very little, can a stocked lake become over populated? I know most of the readers on here have heard of Sitchs Lake west of Thunder Bay. In all my years of coming up there I have never seen anyone fishing on that lake while I have been up there and it sits right along side of the road, plus you can walk around most of it and fish from shore. I have been up there in the spring,summer,and fall so I take it that it must get hit during the winter months while ice is on it. Someone in one of the messages said that the stocked lakes are there to take the pressure off of the natural trout waters. I can understand that and I know personally if I was going to keep a brookie it would come from a stocked lake and not the Oskadonga by Shabaqua that I like to fish on.

Now the tricky question. Because it is LEGAL by the MNR RULES to take 5 Brook Trout from a STOCKED LAKE and the person doing it has a family of 5 to feed. Would having a SIZE SLOT help in keeping the fish population up? (Not knowing if these fish reproduce in these lakes) Does keeping the larger fish alive actually help a lake survive? At what age does a fish no longer reproduce? Does anyone know? just adding some questions to this conversation to save the conservation. Hey check that out 2 words with all the same letters meening 2 different things!

gone8to1248

Guest Mr. Canoe

Yes, constantly keeping limits could really affect the population of a lake, but, I'm still not seeing what's wrong with fishing out a stocked lake. One look at the stocking list tells me that if one lake isn't doing so hot anymore, it's time to move on the next (as one poster called it "musical chairs") There are plenty of lakes to choose from and plenty of fish being stocked too. The MNR regulates which lakes are open all year and which ones have size restrictions, etc., and they do monitor populations in these lakes. If the MNR felt there was a problem would they not take acitons to rectify the situation? Maybe I'm being niave, but it makes sense to me that if the MNR stocks the lakes and makes the rules, then following the rules should be enough to ensure we are using good fishing practices.