• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bullshark

Steelhead in the McIntyre

Bullshark

Anyone catching steelheads in the McIntyre yet? Or any other rivers around town?

Thanks

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Lyle Reiner

is everyone using the standard steelhead yarn trick? or are they using small meps/panther martins?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Bullshark

In the spring and fall I use brightly coloured spinners. As for places to fish, around central St. is a popular spot as is around the university. I don't know however if the steelhead are in the McIntyre yet.

NWO Fishing Bum

The McIntyre, unlike the spring, is not the greatest fall steelhead river, because the fishable area (from the University down to the College) is so far removed from Superior. The rivers east of town are often a better bet in the fall, where the fish can hang out in Superior just outside the mouth, then quickly move into the moving water in the lower reaches of the rivers once it rains.

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest jackfish pete
The McIntyre, unlike the spring, is not the greatest fall steelhead river, because the fishable area (from the University down to the College) is so far removed from Superior. The rivers east of town are often a better bet in the fall, where the fish can hang out in Superior just outside the mouth, then quickly move into the moving water in the lower reaches of the rivers once it rains.

NWO Fishing Bum

That makes sense. I bet the Mckenzie is a good fall steelhead river (once the half dead pinks are gone). It fits your description.

Bullshark

Why do they run up the rivers in the fall?

Guest jackfish pete

NWO Fishing Bum

In the fall, you're lucky if you get a steelhead in the Mcytire every ten trips. The only reason to fish there is convenience.

Guest Walleye Man

They come up the rivers in the fall to eat the Salmon Eggs.

Mykiss
They come up the rivers in the fall to eat the Salmon Eggs.

Why do steelhead run in the fall ?

Two reasons:

1) feeding run when conditions are favourable...when rivers cool off they return to the lake to overwinter....many of these fish are immature "skippers"

2) Overwintering....mature adults that move upstream to suitable overwintering habitat....they spawn early in the spring and are often headwater spawners...generally overwintering fish occur in larger rivers but also are found in some smaller ground water systems

Guest Dan
Why do steelhead run in the fall ?

Two reasons:

1) feeding run when conditions are favourable...when rivers cool off they return to the lake to overwinter....many of these fish are immature "skippers"

2) Overwintering....mature adults that move upstream to suitable overwintering habitat....they spawn early in the spring and are often headwater spawners...generally overwintering fish occur in larger rivers but also are found in some smaller ground water systems

The main reason that they run in the fall is because of the season change. It's called a "false run". Certainly there's enough feed in the lake to not have to enter the rivers to do so. After all, they live there 11 months of the year without starving. The fall season change is very much like the spring change, except in the opposite direction. The shorter daylight hours are the main reason why they run in the fall. It's natures trigger. And the suitable water temps help as well. I've caught plenty of fall Steelhead in my Steelheading days. One obvious difference is that the fish were much smaller in the fall. Apparently the bigger fish don't fall for mother natures shorter daylight hours trick. But I have caught a few hogs in the fall. Mostly in bigger rivers. They're out there if you look for them. Have fun.

Guest Swan_Dive

I have heard about the false run before but this year I was told the reason steelhead run the rivers in the fall was because of genetics. The reason being that the steelhead coming from out west used to have to run huge rivers and in order to reach the spawning grounds they would basicly have to get a head start. It makes sense looking at the rivers out west but if that is the case would they not adjust to river size over time? If anyone has any say on this that would be great because this is just another theory from another fisherman.

swany

Guest jackfish pete

Neat fact about the Mcyintire: It also has residential bows and brookies. You can get lots (but they're small) between late June and early fall. Each year, a few trout get swept down from Trout Lake (the source of the Mcyntire) and grow up in the river!

Mykiss
Neat fact about the Mcyintire: It also has residential bows and brookies. You can get lots (but they're small) between late June and early fall. Each year, a few trout get swept down from Trout Lake (the source of the Mcyntire) and grow up in the river!

The McIntyre River steelhead are migratory.....the small rainbow you catch in the summer are juveniles hatched from Lake Superior run adults. The juveniles use the river as a nursery area for one to three year (mostly two years) and then smolt or migrate to Lake Superior usuall late May to mid June. In Lake Superior they reside for one to three lake years before reaching maturity and returning to their home stream. It is extremely rare to get an adult rainbow (steelhead) that spent it's intire life in a Lake Superior tributary. One exception is a small resident population in the Black Sturgeon River above the Black Sturgeon dam.

Guest jackfish pete
The McIntyre River steelhead are migratory.....the small rainbow you catch in the summer are juveniles hatched from Lake Superior run adults. The juveniles use the river as a nursery area for one to three year (mostly two years) and then smolt or migrate to Lake Superior usuall late May to mid June. In Lake Superior they reside for one to three lake years before reaching maturity and returning to their home stream. It is extremely rare to get an adult rainbow (steelhead) that spent it's intire life in a Lake Superior tributary. One exception is a small resident population in the Black Sturgeon River above the Black Sturgeon dam.

I have heard this explanation for the small bows, too. My guess is most if the little bows are from Superior and are growing up in the river before returning to the lake, but the brook trout and some of the bows are from Trout lake, swept down the river. They aren't worth fishing for, though. They are too small (4-9 inches).

Guest jackfish pete

I've heard a lot of explanations. Some say they are there to eat salmon eggs. This may be true in some rivers, but not the Mcyntire. There are very few salmon that run up the Mcyntire and the fall steelhead run up further than the salmon, so they aren't there for eggs. Others claim that the steelhead run up the rivers in the fall, stay there all winter, then spawn in the spring before running back down (overwintering). This may be true in the Fraser or Colombia rivers, but not up here. Steelhead are seen and caught on their way up the river in the spring. Besides, they would die during the winter in the Mcyntire. I don't buy the theory that winter feeding conditions in the rivers are favourable; chances are their's more feed for them in Lake Superior than at George Burke Park.

Swan_Dives's explanation about the genetics makes sense. It would also explain why larger steelhead are not as common in the fall. The older fish would have learned that they don't have to leave until the spring.

Tight lines

Guest Dan
I've heard a lot of explanations. Some say they are there to eat salmon eggs. This may be true in some rivers, but not the Mcyntire.

There were no Salmon anywhere around here when I fished for fall Steelhead. So throw the Salmon egg theory out the window.

Mykiss
I've heard a lot of explanations. Some say they are there to eat salmon eggs. This may be true in some rivers, but not the Mcyntire. There are very few salmon that run up the Mcyntire and the fall steelhead run up further than the salmon, so they aren't there for eggs. Others claim that the steelhead run up the rivers in the fall, stay there all winter, then spawn in the spring before running back down (overwintering). This may be true in the Fraser or Colombia rivers, but not up here. Steelhead are seen and caught on their way up the river in the spring. Besides, they would die during the winter in the Mcyntire. I don't buy the theory that winter feeding conditions in the rivers are favourable; chances are their's more feed for them in Lake Superior than at George Burke Park.

Swan_Dives's explanation about the genetics makes sense. It would also explain why larger steelhead are not as common in the fall. The older fish would have learned that they don't have to leave until the spring.

Tight lines

Both the McIntyre and Neebing Rivers have fall runs of overwintering steelhead. Mature fish enter the two rivers from late Sept. to Nov. and move into the upper reaches where deep pools and beaver ponds exist. Anglers often catch these dark coloured steelhead in March and April before the spring run begins in the lower river. Fall overwintering behavior exists in numerous north shore tribitaries. It has been suggested that fall migrating adult steelhead are critical to headwater spawning success.

shmanks

so has anyone been having any luck on the rivers yet for steelhead? :D

Guest Swan_Dive

There were no Salmon anywhere around here when I fished for fall Steelhead. So throw the Salmon egg theory out the window.

Bullshark
so has anyone been having any luck on the rivers yet for steelhead? :D

Just some small ones at the mouth of the current. Haven't really tried any other rivers yet.

Guest jackfish pete
Just some small ones at the mouth of the current. Haven't really tried any other rivers yet.

Same. As for the fall run theory's, I agree with Swan_Dive's. Which do you buy into?

Bullshark

I believe the "theory from another fisherman". After all, that's all fishing is.

Lyle Reiner

I tried the current tonight, was just tossing little spinners. Didnt see nor catch anything.

Do you guys fish off fishermans road or furthur up by the RC car track?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada