• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bullshark

Steelhead in the McIntyre

Bullshark

You can get them both places. Better odds further down in the pool near the docks. It can take awhile before you get any sort of action however.

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

summer-run
I have heard about the false run before but this year I was told the reason steelhead run the rivers in the fall was because of genetics. The reason being that the steelhead coming from out west used to have to run huge rivers and in order to reach the spawning grounds they would basicly have to get a head start. It makes sense looking at the rivers out west but if that is the case would they not adjust to river size over time? If anyone has any say on this that would be great because this is just another theory from another fisherman.

swany

Hey swany!

It is my belief that you are on the right track with this theory. I will explain.

On the west-coast were I reside now after leaving T Bay in 92.

Some of you mykiss addicts like myself, may not be aware that there are 2 strains of Steelhead on the west-coast. Summer Run and Winter Run fish. The Summer Run Steelhead enter the freshwater to their home stream as early as June on any given year. These fish will reside in their natal waters until March, April or May of the following year until the Temp is right to spawn. Some will survive the spawn and make the transition back to the Ocean. ie Kelts. Feed heavily for a month or two and make the transition once again to become a repeat spawner. The percentage of repeats is low but it does happen.

As for the Winter fish. These fish tend to enter there natal streams as early as November through to as late as May and will spawn during the same time as the Summer Run fish. Kelt out and try to make the transition back to the Ocean also.

We have a few rivers on the coast where both strains reside in the same river. But these fish will not spawn with each other due to the difference in there genetic make-up. ie pheromones being released.

It is my belief that when the Steelhead were introduced into the Great Lakes many moons ago. The brood stock that was used was a mixture of Summer and Winter fish. Creating the False run that we know it today as.

This is just my opinion,

I have been a lurker on this site for some time now. I always check in too see reports on some of my old haunts that I used to fish with the McIntyre being one of them. Always puts a smile on my face.

Well its time for me to pack up my truck and go do some Coho fishing at first light on one of my favorite flows. May just hook a Summer Run as they are in there too.

I will share some pics soon with all you fellow mykiss addicts.

All the best

summer-run B)

Lyle Reiner

Good luck with your coho hunt and thanks for the information.

Dont care why they are there, but they are, and i wanna catch them. Ive never actually caught a steelhead, brookie, or laker. all of which i have developed a personal vendetta and am on a mission to catch them.

When you say the pools by the dock you mean where it comes in and is calm by the little island. Is there any trails to get onto that island or to the other side of the river?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest green_to_fly

Thinking about trying the Mackenzie this Saturday flying for some steelers. Any advice as to where I should go and what I should throw?

thanks.

Guest jackfish pete
Thinking about trying the Mackenzie this Saturday flying for some steelers. Any advice as to where I should go and what I should throw?

thanks.

Where to go will be obvious when you get there (unless you're coming from the highway bridge, then its about 1km down the river). As for what to throw, salmon eggs are popular while I prefer bright spinners.

Bullshark

Big pools hear the mouth, hint hint. Bright stuff, hint hint. B)

Guest jackfish pete
Good luck with your coho hunt and thanks for the information.

Dont care why they are there, but they are, and i wanna catch them. Ive never actually caught a steelhead, brookie, or laker. all of which i have developed a personal vendetta and am on a mission to catch them.

When you say the pools by the dock you mean where it comes in and is calm by the little island. Is there any trails to get onto that island or to the other side of the river?

To get around to the other side, cross the bridge, follow the shore, and ignore the NO TRESPASSING signs (they are for the grain elevators, not the bush around the river. It is very deep in the channel on the other side of the river. To get onto the island, you need to do some wading (it's an island, there's water on all sides) but it isn't deep if you pick your spot wisely. There are trails on the island.

Don't worry, I'd never caught a trout in my first 3-3.5 years of fishing but this year I've got 3.

Bullshark

Is anyone catching them anywhere? With some or any consistency?

shmanks

skunked down at mackenzie 2 days in a row water is low you can see the bottom easily....didn't see any fish up by the rapids. caught a brookie right at the mouth the other day, other than that nothing. Goin to wait a couple of weeks now

Guest Swan_Dive

You might need to wait for a good rain fall to trigger them to start coming into the rivers again. Check the water temp next time your there, it should be around 60 or less for them to be in there. Just checked the weather network and doesn't look like there will be any good rain for a bit...hopefully it will change and trigger some more fish to enter the rivers

Guest the newbie
Anyone catching steelheads in the McIntyre yet? Or any other rivers around town?

Thanks

I wish :fishing: