• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Hitting a partridge.

Some Old Guy

I do not have a hunting license.

I have hit two grouse this year with my truck. I didn't stop. If I hit one with my truck, am I allowed to keep it? I hate seeing them wasted.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest MNR

MNR Answer

The acquisition and possession of specified species of wildlife (black bear, caribou, elk, moose or deer, species of specially protected raptors and fur bearers) taken by means other than through licensed hunting or trapping activities are regulated to assist with management and control of harvest and collection of information on mortality. The regulations require the reporting within short time lines of the acquisition/possession of these species. A “certificate of reporting” may be issued for specially protected raptors and game animals that are required to be reported and a licence to possess a pelt to may be issued authorize possession of the pelts of a furbearing mammal that is reported.

Where the cause of death is suspicious, a conservation officer may want to conduct tests to determine whether or not foul play is at hand. You cannot possess game that was illegally taken.

Wildlife specimens which do not require reporting as required by regulation or do not require licences to possess (such as fur), may be possessed by an individual if legally

acquired. You still however, cannot exceed the legal possession limit. An example of this would be a ruffed grouse or varying hare collected from the side of a road which had been hit by a vehicle. As well collections of invertebrates including specially protected species would be legal if taken from the wild prior to proclamation of the Act.

Taxidermists are also exempted if the specimens they are working on are authorized or legally acquired as per above.

Permits to possess many of the migratory birds species must come from the Canadian Wildlife Service and will only be given to educational facilities.