• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

eddylives

Temperatures opening weekend.......

What to do?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. To take an animal in these temperatures?

• Take it and take a chance of spoilage
    • Do not take an animal in these conditions
    • We have a place to cool the animal , no worries
    • Do not know??

eddylives

So how many hunters out there are going to not drop an animal this long weekend due to the forcasted high temperatures?

I know that I will not take my moose in these conditions risking spoilage of the meat.

What do you think?

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Resource Pimp

Properly dressed, quartered with the hide on, hung in an all day shaded area with hopefully a breeze it should be alright till tuesday morning. Pepper the hell out of the flesh side to keep the flys off. The first 24 hours is natural cool down from body temp, so its from then on you need to pay close attention. Open air and shade is your biggest allie in these temps, thats why i suggest quartering it if your out till tuesday morning.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Guest Wes

I decided not to go deer hunting this weekend for that very reason. I may get out waterfowl hunting or I may swing flies for steelhead instead.

tracker

They shoot animals in Africa. I don't think they wait for cooler weather or is that why they are so skinny? I agree with Resource Pimp

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Some Old Guy

I saw something on National Geographic years ago. It was how the guy ran after some kind of antelope. He chased it for hours until the antelope couldn't run anymore due to heat exhaustion. It was quite amazing. A human cools down from sweating and the animal just over heated. He just walked up to it with his spear and killed it.

Maybe that's why they are so skinny!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

No hunting for me, fishing today in a t shirt. Bass are snapping and walleyes are plentiful. Hunting can wait.

Bear

Lyle Reiner

not going hunting today, i dont think the moose will be moving much anyway

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Spectre
not going hunting today, i dont think the moose will be moving much anyway

We were in 15B and nothing was moving at all, didn't even hear any shots either...

PRO V
Properly dressed, quartered with the hide on, hung in an all day shaded area with hopefully a breeze it should be alright till tuesday morning. Pepper the hell out of the flesh side to keep the flys off. The first 24 hours is natural cool down from body temp, so its from then on you need to pay close attention. Open air and shade is your biggest allie in these temps, thats why i suggest quartering it if your out till tuesday morning.

He's right, if you know your stuff weather should not be a issue. A few of my buddies bow hunt

and they don't have any problems. Seen three sets of antlers coming off 527 this afternoon.

Guest Wes

I saw lots of legs coming from the west as well. I hope they know what they were doing. I personally would not and didn't risk it. Instead I went out to the bush and made some friends. HA! I went and sighted my rifle in on opening day.

Oh Yeah, Making friends HA! Sorry if I scared any of your animals away.

naden

We shot a bull opening morning.......got quite warm that afternoon so we decided to bring it home....got it home and skinned saturday night and have been able to keep my garage cool........the meat doesnt smell and seems fine so far. If we had more shade and something to keep the bugs off I think we would have been ok hanging it where we were hunting.

eddylives

Well.....

We went out , 12B.

Saw a cow with a calf for 30 seconds opening morning running at full tilt into the bush off of the main road , nice to see.

Later on that morning we watched a young bull and cow wander around the lake we were watching at , awsome to see even when there is no adult tag untill next week.

There were three animals dropped in our area this weekend I know of 1 cow , 1 bull and 1 unknown gut pile this morning on our drive out.

The flies got to be a little annoying for the late day strech each day , but it was an awsome weekend out at the trailer with my family.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest Headhunter

I was up north of terrace bay since last thursday and never saw a moose, was in the slash all day running roads everything. Between ten of us not one moose in the sights. sign everywhere just too hot and nothing was moving. One group shot a 58 inch bull out the main road but had it sitting under a tarp for at leasttt 5 days.... unethical? shouldnt the ministry be doign something about moose being left out to spoil on the meat poles?