• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

So, about an ice fishing derby.

Some Old Guy

Well this talk about an ice fishing derby has got me thinking.

Who will run it?

How much for entry.

Where?

How would it be run?

I have some ideas but there has to be an interest.

By interest I mean, I need at least 250 people responding and pretty much commiting here before I can even begin to put 2 and 2 together. So if you know people that would register and give input, let them know!!!

There's a possibility that this could be huge.

I now put it in your hands.

If the interest is there, I WILL BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!

Roger.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest jrcw

I would enter depending on two things; cost and location. I don't have a sled (yet!) so it would have to be somewhere that didn't require one. Not being an 'expert' ice angler, it would also have to be cheap enough that it would be worthwhile getting in the ring with the big boys. Just my two cents, but there's likely more out there with similar situations. All in all, I think it's a great idea and even if the entry fee was too steep I'd probably come check it out anyway!

thefisher

A derby on Lac!!! and we would definatly go and pay any fee!

speckmaster

The biggest factors are going to be the weather and ice conditions...in my opinion, those are the two biggest factors that determine whether a derby is going to be successful or not. In the end mother nature will decide.

Well this talk about an ice fishing derby has got me thinking.

Who will run it?

How much for entry.

Where?

How would it be run?

I have some ideas but there has to be an interest.

By interest I mean, I need at least 250 people responding and pretty much commiting here before I can even begin to put 2 and 2 together. So if you know people that would register and give input, let them know!!!

There's a possibility that this could be huge.

I now put it in your hands.

If the interest is there, I WILL BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!

Roger.

PRO V

It's also going to take a few volunteers to make it happen.

Mike

Guest jackfish pete

Depends on where and how much it costs. I'm new to ice fishing but I'd enjoy a tournament all the same as long as it was somewhere accessible (I don't have a snowmobile) and didn't cost a ridiculous amount.

Guest Slowey

i am definatly in for a derby. dont care where or when. and i will definatly help out however need be. send e a msg and let me know when u get stuff figured there roger.

beercan

I'd like to see it on lac (shack is there), the first weekend in march would be perfect, the 5th & 6th is a suggeston and would be able to volunteer along with friends who would love to help out. i have organized lots of big events before

fisherdude

i would love to see this happen and would be in for sure. And have probably atleasdt 5-8 people who would also be in depending on the time. Roger I cannot explain how much i appreciaite the annitiative you have taken to try n start this up and keep up all the good work, you do wonders for us on this site.

Guest 247fishnhunt

Lac would be a great spot but very difficult to monitor when people actually caught their fish unless you had staggered weigh-in stations placed around the lake. Just thinking people go to great lengths to win a derby and these details would have to be worked out in order to draw in a fair amount of people. You could have a series of derbies at different locations/lakes and a leader board displaying the results for the duration of winter. Eg: January 15/11 SAWMILL BAY, February 1/11 Silver Harbour, February 15/11 Shebandewan, March 1/11 Pine Point, etc, etc.

5 or 6 total events and a person can only register in 3 or 4 of them.

Just my thoughts and I think it would be good to target different species of fish in order to attract or get more people involved.

Guest tshmanks

Im in , and sure other shmanks and april will come with me :) Im happy to help if you do need volunteers.

Fishbum

hey that sounds like a great idea. i would be in when ever where ever! some place different would be cool to try icefishing....lac gets old after a while

Some Old Guy

Ok,

If this is going to happen it will have to start off small. I have learned a few things over the last 5-6 years.

It'll have to start off small. For icefishing I mean in a smaller area rather than a whole lake. I'm not saying I don't trust anyone...... I just don't! Ha Ha! All it takes is one person to foul it up for everyone.

So we'll keep it easy. 20-30 dollar entry fee, pay out to maybe the top 5 or ten spots depending on the amount of people entering.

I'm not going to drill holes for everyone I'll leave that up to the participants.

Rules will follow.

We'll pick a lake and a date and times.

I think it should be big fish to keep it simple.

Species? Walleye seems to be a favourite...... Unless to appease the bass guys we could have only bass weighed in..... I'm kidding.

Keep the input coming in.

Also to keep it a fair playing field, as mentioned not all of us own sleds so think of easy access lakes and as close to town as you can.

Roger

Fishbum
Ok,

If this is going to happen it will have to start off small. I have learned a few things over the last 5-6 years.

It'll have to start off small. For icefishing I mean in a smaller area rather than a whole lake. I'm not saying I don't trust anyone...... I just don't! Ha Ha! All it takes is one person to foul it up for everyone.

So we'll keep it easy. 20-30 dollar entry fee, pay out to maybe the top 5 or ten spots depending on the amount of people entering.

I'm not going to drill holes for everyone I'll leave that up to the participants.

Rules will follow.

We'll pick a lake and a date and times.

I think it should be big fish to keep it simple.

Species? Walleye seems to be a favourite...... Unless to appease the bass guys we could have only bass weighed in..... I'm kidding.

Keep the input coming in.

Also to keep it a fair playing field, as mentioned not all of us own sleds so think of easy access lakes and as close to town as you can.

Roger

Hey i agree with the keeping it colse and accessible to those who don't have sleds. Another suggestion might be be to have one (or two) smaller sub-categories depending on the lake. ie. top 3 or even easier largest whitefish, laker trout, or pike nice and simple biggest fish of each catagory wins....gives guys a chance to target other species as well as wallleye. a two day derby would be nice...gives people a chance to move to new spots if they like to.

Just my thoughts

Mr. Canoehead

Silver Harbor is easy access. No wallies tho.

WalleyeWayne

My brother and I will be in. Might I suggest a water body like Cloud Lake? Not real huge, easily accessed, multi-species and those on foot wouldn't be at a great disadvantage...? Or, one of the lakes up Boreal way...?

Guest 247fishnhunt

Cloud Lake would be a great option because i have ice-fished there a couple of times and got skunked everytime. It would be an opportunity to prove that the walleyes actually do bite in there during the winter.

Some Old Guy

What about Hazelwood lake? No sleds allowed, close to town, and you can use power augers?

Roger

Thefishleclair

Hazel wood would be a greAT SPOT, Pike Perch Walleye and Whitefish all run this water body. I got some choice spots too....

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

WalleyeWayne

Hazelwood Lake would even it up the access options for everyone since sleds aren't allowed. However, will some people choose not to enter if they can't use their sleds to pull their portable ice huts and other related gear?