• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

So, about an ice fishing derby.

Fishbum

i agree not being able to use a sled...and move around etc would be a turn off. and hazlewood...too too many camps, houses etc on the lake.....just to populated of a lake i suppose. and hows teh fishing there?? hit an dmiss i hear

Guest VerygoodANGLER

By the sounds of everyone, it seems that they want to go fish anywhere on the lake that they want to. Shouldn't you be in sight of the official weigh station? I can just imagine the cheating that would go on when someone is out of sight. I think Hazelwood is a great place and you could just walk out from the conservation area and set up an area around the islands. Guys just hanging minnows can even catch fish. It's close to town and keeps everyone on a fair playing field. I would suggest a 10 til 2 type of derby. As for lugging ice tents and stuff everyone would have to do the same as we would all walk out. Just my thoughts.

Guest jrcw

I think Hazelwood is a great idea. I think the close to town/walk-on format would boost the number of entries and get some new people involved. As for too many camps/houses, maybe Fish24/7 was thinking of Hawkeye? I think people who know what they're doing do just fine on Hawkeye...I just wish I was one of them!

fisherdude

hazlewood has the least house/cottages out of almost any lake around town. i think it may be a very good location, although would ALSO like to seee some of the other lakes hold a tourny to throughout the winter.

Guest jackfish pete

Hazelwood isn't exactly my favourite lake, but I'd still be game.

Earlier on this thread, people were talking about having prizes for species other than walleye. This sounds great, but would that work at Hazelwood? I know there are pike, whitefish, and perch, but would it be worth it to have categories for those fish?

fisherdude

i think it would be worth it to have different categories becuase...well iv seen/caught some pretty decent pike, perch,whitefish...and yes pickeral out of hazlewood. and it would give everyone more of a chance with more categories. But im also not saying that its a gaurantee you will catch all these species, or any at all. But thats most of the fun isnt it?

Fishbum

Hey ya i was thinking of Hawkeye. got em mixed up lol only been to each of them a couple times. fishing can be slow but.. as for different species....i think perch and whitfish would definatly be worth targetng...they'r great eating, and fun to target.

Mr. Canoehead

Hazelwood sounds good. You could rent the lodge that's right in front of the lake (inexpensive) and give out the prizes in there afterwards. Or if people get cold they could warm up inside. As for no sleds i guess it would just level the playing field if not turn the tables a little on those who usually have the advantage. No one liked my Silver Sarbor idea i see!

Some Old Guy

I wouldn't mind Silver Harbour but the ice on Hazelwood would be a little easier to predict especially this year.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

RLK
Hazelwood sounds good. You could rent the lodge that's right in front of the lake (inexpensive) and give out the prizes in there afterwards. Or if people get cold they could warm up inside. As for no sleds i guess it would just level the playing field if not turn the tables a little on those who usually have the advantage. No one liked my Silver Sarbor idea i see!

There is no heat in the lodge in the winter.

Mr. Canoehead
There is no heat in the lodge in the winter.

D'OH!!!

Guest Matt M
I wouldn't mind Silver Harbour but the ice on Hazelwood would be a little easier to predict especially this year.

Roger

I also like the idea of Silver Harbour. Lots of room, close to town, good fishing. If you had the derby in late February the ice should be in good shape by then as long as it stays cold. Good variety of species to.

Guest jrcw

How about holding the tournament during Ontario Family Fishing Weekend (February 19-21, 2011)? This way people would not require licences, encouraging people who might not otherwise have entered to give it a try. It might also encourage the boys to bring their wives and kids. New anglers keeps the sport alive!

Guest troutsandy

I do like that idea of having it on family fishing weekend if it were feasible. Also, Silver Harbour or Hazelwood would both be nice if that were the case, get everyone involved without having to drive an hour to Lac or some place else

WalleyeWayne

Given that Hazelwood is a conservation lake, do they allow live bait? If not, that may change things a bit...? I haven't fished Hazelwood since they allowed gas motors and can't really remember much about the lake.

WalleyeWayne

I just Googled Hazelwood and yes live bait is allowed so that's not a negative issue to be concerned about.

Mr. Canoehead
How about holding the tournament during Ontario Family Fishing Weekend (February 19-21, 2011)? This way people would not require licences, encouraging people who might not otherwise have entered to give it a try. It might also encourage the boys to bring their wives and kids. New anglers keeps the sport alive!

That's a great idea.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I vote for lac.

already a thousand anglers there. just put up a few signs and get resorts to chip in a little as they will make money from launch fees bait and such.

road is plowed to sand point and Ive seen cars out there.

if it is hazelwood, are quads allow?

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Kayaker

Any drive on lake is fine for me or silver harbor.

Thefishleclair

No quads or Skidoo's Allowed on Hazelwood, Walk on Only. Its a Short Jaunt onto the lake.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Barrski

My vote would be for Lac or Dog lake

barrski :icefishing:

Fishbum
My vote would be for Lac or Dog lake

barrski :icefishing:

Hey yes i would vote for dog lake!!! that would be perfect!

ty16

i remember going to a durby when i was very young. my friends grandfather took us kids.... it was awsome.

it was in one big area of the lake with hundreds of ppl.

pre-drilled holes and it was first come first to get the pick at a hole.

u were checked at the entrence so that no alcohol or pre-caught fish were brought in.

when a fish was caught it was brought to the weigh station which was situated in the middle of all the holes.

a loud microphone let everyone know when a fish was caught/weighed in.

i've always ment to go into another tourny like this cause it was so much fun but never have.

i'd be in for a th. bay ice durby forsure.

i've also heard of a flower set-up for the durby. there are 5 or 6 sections (peddles) of pre drilled holes and every 1/2hr or so a horn goes off and u switch secions and get a new hole.

just a few ideas.

as for locations i think dog or lac would be the best.

u need lots of room for parking and u want fish to be caught.

if u build it they will come!

fish on!

Master Baiter
i remember going to a durby when i was very young. my friends grandfather took us kids.... it was awsome.

it was in one big area of the lake with hundreds of ppl.

pre-drilled holes and it was first come first to get the pick at a hole.

u were checked at the entrence so that no alcohol or pre-caught fish were brought in.

when a fish was caught it was brought to the weigh station which was situated in the middle of all the holes.

a loud microphone let everyone know when a fish was caught/weighed in.

i've always ment to go into another tourny like this cause it was so much fun but never have.

i'd be in for a th. bay ice durby forsure.

i've also heard of a flower set-up for the durby. there are 5 or 6 sections (peddles) of pre drilled holes and every 1/2hr or so a horn goes off and u switch secions and get a new hole.

just a few ideas.

as for locations i think dog or lac would be the best.

u need lots of room for parking and u want fish to be caught.

if u build it they will come!

fish on!

This sounds like it would be alot of fun!! Count me in for Lac or Dog (btw where do people ice fish on Dog?)

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

PRO V
Ok,

If this is going to happen it will have to start off small. I have learned a few things over the last 5-6 years.

It'll have to start off small. For icefishing I mean in a smaller area rather than a whole lake. I'm not saying I don't trust anyone...... I just don't! Ha Ha! All it takes is one person to foul it up for everyone.

So we'll keep it easy. 20-30 dollar entry fee, pay out to maybe the top 5 or ten spots depending on the amount of people entering.

I'm not going to drill holes for everyone I'll leave that up to the participants.

Rules will follow.

We'll pick a lake and a date and times.

I think it should be big fish to keep it simple.

Species? Walleye seems to be a favourite...... Unless to appease the bass guys we could have only bass weighed in..... I'm kidding.

Keep the input coming in.

Also to keep it a fair playing field, as mentioned not all of us own sleds so think of easy access lakes and as close to town as you can.

Roger

Your right Roger keep it simple, easy access for everyone you don't need a bunch of quads, sleds running around, have it in one

area to keep it on a level playing field, and be able keep a grasp on things. Pre drilling the holes might be the way to go that way people just show up with min gear, this is where the volunteers kick in. Lake ? well you will not be able to please everyone, you need a good size area to park, if you have lake access bonus, Also i think volunteers make or break an event.