• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Results of Nov 22 S.S.S. postioning draw.

Some Old Guy

Here they are. I'll have a link from the S.S.S. page soon

Roger

S.S.S. Draw Results

Link is now fixed and active.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

GC 54

Only 235 more sleeps! Team 7, GO!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Some Old Guy

Sorry about that yes Cory has it right. I updated it last night and forgot to update the new link in the thread here which I'll do right now right after I finish typing this here message.

Roger

Travis Schallock
How appropriate!

Bruce and I are 11= two #1's.

Let the games begin.

Well Darryl, 1+1=2 Hope you can settle for 2nd. Right behind us.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Bear
Well Darryl, 1+1=2 Hope you can settle for 2nd. Right behind us.

Great math DG, as for Tlock, put new batteries in your calculator.

Guest Cory
Great math DG, as for Tlock, put new batteries in your calculator.

Derek and I are team 19. Using Kenora logic :wacko:, it must mean we are looking at 1st - 9 times. I guess it seems realisitc.

Dont fret Bruce and Darryl, two are already in the books. You only have seven more years to wait to claim your first. :lol:

Cory

Bear

Calculators $2.99 at the Buck or Two Store. You should know by now, I have no logic.

Cory, you behave or I will have your Kenora/Sioux Narrows passport suspended.

Bear

GC 54

Who rolled the lucky '7'?

And to think I even drew my own name. Lady luck is on our side. :-)

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Bear

7th isnt a bad place to finish.

BB

gone fishin'

I remember a few years a ago when the SSS was one day and 65 teams, the field would be full by the end of September. Now with 2 days, and 26 spots still remaining, is this an indication that folks would prefer a one day tournament, or are all of the other tournaments also seeing a decline in participation? The SSS is the only one I enter, so I don't know what the other tournaments are like.

Bear

Some tournaments have a hard time filling up, for several reasons. $$ are tight, therefore not everyone who used to fish in tournaments does any more. There is not as much sponsor money available and the US dollar keeps some of the US competitors home. Another reason is the "cheating" that apparently has gone on in years past. People planting trees to hold fish was a big subject of controversy in the Kenora area for quite some time. I am not saying that all the guys and gals who do well in tournaments cheat, but I have my suspicions about some. (No one in the SSS). It is also very expensive to tournamnet fish. Not everyone has the disposible imcome to participate. Entry fees in some tournaments have just got ridiculous and people stopped fishing competively because of it.

I know you have to put the time in and learn to fish before you can consistently place in the money. I have also noticed that not as many of the older crowd are fishing in the tournaments in this area. They have retired. I do notice however there are lots of younger people taking an interest in the tournaments. Maybe it is the low end of the cycle and in a few years they will be turning people away. I find that in the first few years that a tournament is run, lots of people enter, thinking that it is an easy way to make money, however they learn quickly that a day of fishing with the boys and fishing tournaments are two totally different concepts.

The SSS is one of the best tournaments going as far as I am concerned. The two day format is great, as it gives you the chance to either be a hero or a zero. Two day tournaments require a different strategy.

I think the SSS will fill up, and for those who dont enter, they are missing a great tournament on a great fishery.

My two cents.

Bear

DJL66

Well I was not in favour of the tournament going to the 2 day format but thought I would give it a try anyways this past summer. A couple other teams that I know were not happy with the change and did not enter last year because of it. I decided not to enter for 2011 as the 2 day format is not what I like. The tournament is very well run, but for me I just enjoyed the one day event verses two days. Maybe the economy has played a part in the lack of entries so far, but lets remember it is only November so there is alot of time yet to sign up. With Christmas only 4 weeks away money is tight for alot of people so maybe they are waiting till the early new year to submit thier entries.

Don

Some Old Guy

Screw it! Let's make it the first one to catch a bass, walleye and a pike and weigh them in first wins!

Roger

Travis Schallock

We are a 2 day tournament, 60 boats. We had a waiting list last year, and are generally full most years. Right now we are about half full for next year, which is about 10 boats ahead of where we usually are. There were a couple years ago where it seemed there was a bit of a decline in intrest, but it has really been coming on the last few years.

A 2 day tourny is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I think it rewards the best fisherman, which is what a tournament is about, the best team winning. Anyone could get lucky and tie in to a big fish and win a 1 day tourny, but does that mean they are the best team on the water? That is more like winning a lottery, or having a mystery weight tournament. It is still lots of fun, just not as competetive of an event, rewarding the teams who consistently put together a big bag of fish.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Trevor Zimak
We are a 2 day tournament, 60 boats. We had a waiting list last year, and are generally full most years. Right now we are about half full for next year, which is about 10 boats ahead of where we usually are. There were a couple years ago where it seemed there was a bit of a decline in intrest, but it has really been coming on the last few years.

A 2 day tourny is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I think it rewards the best fisherman, which is what a tournament is about, the best team winning. Anyone could get lucky and tie in to a big fish and win a 1 day tourny, but does that mean they are the best team on the water? That is more like winning a lottery, or having a mystery weight tournament. It is still lots of fun, just not as competetive of an event, rewarding the teams who consistently put together a big bag of fish.

You bring up some good points T-Lock. Tournament fishing is about the best consistent team and every other bass tournament in NWO is two or three days with the exception of the Perch Lake Challenge. With a 2 day tournament, the luck factor is much less. Had the SSS stayed one day, I would have won last year; I was not the best over two days though and because of that I learned more in that second day than I did all summer on Shebs.

Also, I think you really have to take into consideration the venue. For the most part, all other tournaments in NWO, the town that holds the event is either right on the lake or less than a 20 minute drive. Shebandowan in a solid hour drive if you are towing a boat and driving the speed limit. Some people have told me they simply don't like having to drive an hour in the morning and then have to drive back after a day of tournament fishing.... then having to do it all over again. Realistically, there are plenty of accomodations in the very near area and what you spend on those accomodations, you will save on gas, plus get a better rest.

Another thing that should be considered is the fact that this is one of the CHEAPEST tournaments in NWO when it comes to entry fees. I fish 6-7 bass tournaments in a year depending on circumstances and almost evey other tournament I fish is at least double to 4x the cost of the SSS.

For anyone curious:

Shoal Lake Big Bass Classic - $500 - 2 days

Lake Despair Castin' for Cash - $400 - 2 days

SSS - $250 - 2 days

Fort Frances CBC - $1,000 - 3 days

Kenora Bronzeback Classic - $400 - 2 days

Kenora Bass International - $800 - 3 days

Nakina - $160 - 2 days (never fished this one b/c it conflicts with KBI)

Atikokan Bass Classic - $500 - 2 days

Morson Bass International - $400 - 2 days

I Falls Bass Classic = $500 (US) - 2 days

Sioux Narrows Bassin' for Bucks - $400 - 3 days

SFBC - $225 -2 days

Another thing I don't think most people realize is that the SSS has the HIGHEST pay back at over 100% when you factor in sponsorship. No other tournament even comes close!!! Another point that was not brought up was that the SSS only received entries for approximately 3 weeks. 44 entries in 3 weeks is fairly impressive. Last year was the first year that the tournament went 2 days. It went off without a single problem and I hope it continues.

So far there have been some intersting comments brought up... i'm interested to see how constructive this thread is going to be and where it goes from here.

GC 54

Excellent post Zimmer, one of your best I must say! :rolleyes:

Even though Zimmer and I are both on the SSS committee, (we both fish the SSS as well) and we along with Roger and Tom Friday (aka NWO), and the many volunteers and sponsors like Lund, Humminbird, Minn Kota (and lets not forget any former committee members who have been part of the success of this great tournament in previous years), continue to make the SSS the best all round bass tournament in NWO. I would only suggest that if you want to take part, then you had better be one of the 26 teams in the next starting position draw which is being held on Monday, February 7th, 2011.

Bear

Great posts guys, great points made.

SSS is a great tournament one day or two days, George is right, get your entries in so you can be in on the action.

BB

Some Old Guy

I won't say what but it seems that there seems to be something altogether within the rights of the political being of the politics that are within the right of someone of you know who. There seems to be that all spiritual know how of knowing what to do. But to grasp it out of thin air is very difficult.

Roger

GC 54

Roger, have you been hit in the head by a partridge? :unsure:

Guest Cory
Roger, have you been hit in the head by a partridge? :unsure:

George, You went to sleep to early during the Fall Shebs. If you spend enough time with him you will have no problem deciphering his logic. :unsure:

Trevor Zimak
George, You went to sleep to early during the Fall Shebs. If you spend enough time with him you will have no problem deciphering his logic. :unsure:

INDEED!!!

Roger the night of the Fall Shebs -> :wacko::wacko:

Roger at the fire -> :unsure:

The look on Melly's face after Roger imitated him -> :angry2:

The look on Roger's face -> :P

The look on Flyinfinn's face -> :sick:

The look on Cory's, Derek's, Brad's and my face, and anyone else for that matter -> :lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt, fun was had by all. Looking forward to it next year for sure.