• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Results of Nov 22 S.S.S. postioning draw.

Guest Cory

Speakin of Melly. I noticed he is not on the list of entries for the SSS. I guess he has decided to give up his fishing career to pursue his dream of being on "So You Think You Can Dance Canada". Good Luck Melly we here at Thunder Bay Fishing will be pulling for you.

GC 54
George, You went to sleep to early during the Fall Shebs. If you spend enough time with him you will have no problem deciphering his logic. :unsure:

But that extra sleep allowed me to advance up in the standings for the second day, I really don't think Roger's entertainment hour would have helped to do that. :rolleyes:

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

arvey

on many occasions and in any sport a last place team has beaten a first place team. does that mean the team is better? no but on that given day they were

and maybe they got lucky at sometime in the game, and that is the way it goes. so if you fish tournament committe members want to ensure the best team wins then here is a couple of suggestions. you could have your tourney by invitation only or have the teams send in resumes maybe with the list of tourneies

they have entered and won along with a list of their sponsors. then you guys could pick the anglers you want to fish against. that way you would not have to worry about a joe blow like myself getting lucky and winning.

by the way without the joe blows you would have a tourney or at least not the pay outs you do have.

arvey

Guest Cory
on many occasions and in any sport a last place team has beaten a first place team. does that mean the team is better? no but on that given day they were

and maybe they got lucky at sometime in the game, and that is the way it goes. so if you fish tournament committe members want to ensure the best team wins then here is a couple of suggestions. you could have your tourney by invitation only or have the teams send in resumes maybe with the list of tourneies

they have entered and won along with a list of their sponsors. then you guys could pick the anglers you want to fish against. that way you would not have to worry about a joe blow like myself getting lucky and winning.

by the way without the joe blows you would have a tourney or at least not the pay outs you do have.

arvey

Arvey, I think calling any team a "joe blow" team is rather harsh and i would hope that none of the tournament guys on here feel that way. I know i don’t. We all start somewhere. One of the best parts of these events is seeing teams develop and get better over the years and watching a team, who didn’t think they had a chance, do really well and cash a cheque. The look on their face at the weigh-in is priceless. Ultimately the more experienced teams which put in the effort usually have the better results consistently. That certainly doesn’t mean that on Saturday morning when the horn sounds that all 70 teams don’t have a shot at winning. A couple years ago my bother and I were fortunate enough to win the event when it was one day. Did we get lucky? Sure. We caught a hog just before weigh-in. Would we have won if the tournament were two days? Not sure. But Im sure there was a bunch of guys behind us that thought if they only had another day they could pass us.

I think the tourney guys on here are just stating that the longer the tournament (two days as apposed to one day) the more chance the winning team will be the team that puts together the best game plan that weekend and didn’t get lucky like my brother and I did a couple years ago. I tend to agree.

By the way Arvey, I would not consider you a "joe blow" anyway. You have been fishing these events for a number of years and if my memory serves me well you have had good success over the years. At worst you would be considered a veteran. :)

GC 54

Arvey, glad to see you're back fishing the SSS again.

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Travis Schallock

arvey

Arvey,

I never called anyone a 'joe blow' fisherman. I was just pointing out why some people prefer a 2 day event. Does that mean a first time fisherman can't win...no. They could just as easily put a pattern together and win over 2 days. But when the weather changes, or the fish turn off, generally, the better teams will be able to adapt to what has happened and find a new pattern. Not to mention the economic benefit to the communities and surrounding areas when a couple hundred people roll into town for a few days and support the local businesses. That is where we get much of our prizes and cash from, donations from the local business community who also reap the benefits of a 2 day tournament. It is probably the busiest weekend of the year in Nakina.

When I am fishing, all I worry about is what I am doing, and how I can catch more and bigger fish. Not what everybody else is doing. I try to find something other people might not have. I fish against the fish. I have never won a tournament, I don't have any sponsors, I only fish a couple of tournaments, and have only done it for a few years. But like others have said I enjoy spending the weekend with other anglers, learning from them, and now helping with the organization of everything that needs to be done to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can.

SO maybe if you don't like the way things are run you should step up and give those who make these events happen a hand. I'm sure your 2 cents will go a lot further that way.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Guest MiniMe

arvey

First of all Arvey, your post doesn't make any sense.

Secondly, we are all still waiting to fish the tournament you put on. Maybe you should try organizing one so you can see how much work it is (I see you have an idea in mind already)... Constructive criticism is one thing, but what you have written is just ridiculous.

Quit your whinning already... or drop out, i'm sure you won't be breaking anybody's heart.

Trevor Zimak

Hmmm.... :unsure:

For the record... this is not directed towards anyone, just simply putting it out there...

I have been tournament fishing since I was 16 years old and only used to fish one tournament a year. (Kenora Bass International) Now 27, I have fished close to 100 tournaments and there seems to be one common theme amongst every tournament; progression and advancement. In the past it has not been uncommon to see tournaments evolve by expanding their fields, increasing entry fees, improving payout structures, tweaking rules, etc; and this is exactly what the SSS is trying to do. Sure there are mistakes made, but that's the way it is, and we move on and try to learn and improve on those experiences.

A great example of progression from the past includes the Kenora Bass International, where they changed from a daily six fish limit to a five fish limit in hopes of keeping the weights tighter; as a result, the first year this took effect there was only 3.35lbs separating the top ten teams. Also, in 1998 the KBI expanded from a two day event to a three day event which included an amazing "tent ride" for the top ten teams after two days. I have been fortunate to do this once and it was an experience I will never forget. More recently, in 2004 they decided to move the tournament to a Thursday - Saturday event instead of a Friday - Sunday event to allow teams that have travelled long distances to drive home on Sunday getting a good rest Saturday night after a week of hard fishing. Moving back to my point about tweaking rules, take for example the SSS, 2010 was the first year the committe decided to axe the Friday night rules meeting, as it was very costly and allowed us to allocate more money into prizes. It also saved the majority of anglers a trip in from the Shebandowan area when many teams have made accomodations near the lake a few days prior to the event. Personally, I liked the rules meeting as I enjoyed the camaraderie and shooting the breeze with the local and out of town anglers.

Another example in the last couple of years and closer to home is the Atikokan Bass Classic. In 2008 the committee decided to move the tournament to a bigger body of water which yields much bigger fish and overall better fishing. They have also expanded the field and increased entry fee's to accomodate operating costs and present a more attractive first place prize.

Furthermore, for 2011, the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship has all together totally revamped their tournament structure in hopes to attract new sponsorship, previous teams, and some of the local "joe blows". The FFCBC now has the most unique format I have ever seen in tournament fishing. Some guys love the format, some hate it, personally I have an opinion, but either way I will fish it and be supportive.

The bottom line is that the SSS makes no profit and there are 100's of hours put in voluntarily with the monthly meetings, sponsorship, financial aspects, and other legalities. Keep in mind, that several tournaments in NWO pay their committee members a fair amount of money to put on such an event.

I think much of what I have said is highly debatable, however, I think everyone will argee that tournament committees try to do what is best for the tournament and the community and do not favour individuals. With that being said, I don't think there is really anything else to say.

arvey

all i was referring to in my post was the second part of tlocks post. maybe i read more into it than what was there. to me it sounded like he was knocking the little guy and i took it personally. i never made mention how any tournament is run or about payouts or i could do any better.

so for what's worth i appoligize to roger and anybody else that was offened. sometimes my temper gets the better of me and i act before i think.

arvey

Some Old Guy

I alos did the same Arvey.

I also appologize.

See you on the water!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Trevor Zimak

Georgie, had a very good suggestion.... although it requires some self restraint.

Type out your comment and then sit on it for a day. I have done that a lot in the past few months and found it to be worthwhile, either I have not posted it altogether or made some major changes to the post before posting it.

Almost everyone has flown off the handle at one point or another, including me.

Bear

Zimmer:

Fly off the handle....you? Come on.

HAHA

BB

Guest Melly
Speakin of Melly. I noticed he is not on the list of entries for the SSS. I guess he has decided to give up his fishing career to pursue his dream of being on "So You Think You Can Dance Canada". Good Luck Melly we here at Thunder Bay Fishing will be pulling for you.

HAHAHA Nephin stop posting your fantacies on the board , keep them to yourself , no im dropping my entry off this weekend, did not realize it was so full already

Bill Arnott

Not many of us started out tourney fishing in a decked-out rig and you don't need one to do well.

Just for the record tlock has had some good showings fishing from a 14 ft / 25 hp combo.

I think EVERY Tournament I have fished has had at least one "little guy" in the top ten and I've seen them win too!

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Bear

Lots of us started out small, me, a 16 foot Naden with a 30 Yamaha. Try positioning with that all day.

Welcome to the new guys and gals, get out there and fish, you can do well. I, along with lots of others, even on this board, are willing to help you and share knowledge, even my baits and equipment if necessary, to help you do well.

You are right Bill, one of those teams always seems to show up at the scales with a great bag of fish.

Arvey, glad to see you back in the SSS, hope you have fun and do well.

BB

Travis Schallock
Lots of us started out small, me, a 16 foot Naden with a 30 Yamaha. Try positioning with that all day.

Welcome to the new guys and gals, get out there and fish, you can do well. I, along with lots of others, even on this board, are willing to help you and share knowledge, even my baits and equipment if necessary, to help you do well.

You are right Bill, one of those teams always seems to show up at the scales with a great bag of fish.

Arvey, glad to see you back in the SSS, hope you have fun and do well.

BB

I for one have learned this first hand. I learned more from Bruce. and Darryl, in a few hours last year than I have on my own in a few years. Hopefully I will be in a position to do the same for others soon.

Bill, are you coming up with Santalaclause next week?

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Bear
I for one have learned this first hand. I learned more from Bruce. and Darryl, in a few hours last year than I have on my own in a few years. Hopefully I will be in a position to do the same for others soon.

Bill, are you coming up with Santalaclause next week?

And all it took was beer.

HAHA

BB

Resource Pimp

arvey

I resent being called a "joe blow". I prefer to be called a "donor" -That sounds honorable! lmao :)

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

GC 54

All I know for sure is that I'll have more 'speed' when the 2011 tournaments get underway.

So Zimman, I'll be a little further ahead of you when you take off in the SSS, and probably further ahead of you on the weigh board as well after each day, now that I think of it.

And I ain't talking team numbers either. :rolleyes:

Trevor Zimak
All I know for sure is that I'll have more 'speed' when the 2011 tournaments get underway.

So Zimman, I'll be a little further ahead of you when you take off in the SSS, and probably further ahead of you on the weigh board as well after each day, now that I think of it.

And I ain't talking team numbers either. :rolleyes:

Georgie, 3:24 to 3:40 pretty much sums it up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlXcJDtDwM

Some Old Guy

............ I have to withdraw from Tournaments in 2011........... Very sad.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear
............ I have to with draw from tournaments in 2011........... Very sad.

Roger

Whats with that?

GC 54

Ziman, '...dreams don't die, only dreamers, and I'm not the only one....'

BTW, that is one of my fav Aerosmith songs, how did you know that?