• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hurketthunter

wolf hunting?

Hurketthunter

So does anyone here target wolves specifically? I'm thinking of giving it a try this winter. Just looking for any techniques or tips that might help me out since i've never hunted wolves before. Thanks for any help.

Hurketthunter

Guest Matt M
So does anyone here target wolves specifically? I'm thinking of giving it a try this winter. Just looking for any techniques or tips that might help me out since i've never hunted wolves before. Thanks for any help.

Hurketthunter

The guys I know that are hunting wolves in the winter like to hunt them on the lakes. Take whatever you want to use for bait (i.e. deer/moose carcasses, road kill) and freeze part of it into the ice. This makes it harder for the wolves to just take it and run, they will spend alot more time working at it and give you more shooting opportunities. Hunting on the lake will give you chances at long shots to since it can be wide open. Make sure you are well hidden in a pop up blind or something similar. I'm going to use my Eskimo pop up ice shack this winter and hunt wolves while I'm ice fishing. It will help pass the time when hunting is slow. you could try calling them in like they do on tv but everyone says baits work better. Good luck.

CharlieAlphaLimaEcho

What kind of licensing do you need to hunt wolves? Or even just to hunt anything through the winter period

Guest Matt M

You need a valid Outdoors Card with a small game license and a wolf tag. Remember if you buy a wolf tag you have to fill out a mandatory survey that the MNR will mail you at the end of the year.

CharlieAlphaLimaEcho
You need a valid Outdoors Card with a small game license and a wolf tag. Remember if you buy a wolf tag you have to fill out a mandatory survey that the MNR will mail you at the end of the year.

Can anyone get that tag? And how would you compare wolf meat to other animals

Some Old Guy

I'm just curious. What do you do with the wolf after you harvest it? Keep the pelt, mount it..... Not what you are thinking...... eat it? Can you sell the pelt? Just wondering.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Thefishleclair

Lynx, Beaver, Muskrat, Wolf, Racoon are all edable, Everything is edable to a point, Most hunters shoot wolves for the trophy aspect. As for selling it they would have to check with the MNR.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

PRO V

Tageting wolves is a tuff go, it takes a little bit more than throwing bait on a lake, it also takes a lot of patience. Dosn't matter what type of set up you have (camo,blind etc) those wolves will know your there long before you know they are there. The healthier the pack the tougher it is. I baited a pack of 6-9 for three years only to photograph them, they would come in the morning for a bit for about a week then be gone for a week the majority of the time they came in at nigh

I was also lucky enough to watch them separate a calf and cow and take the down the cow. Pretty #uckin cool to watch these guys in action.

Mike

Guest Matt M

Obviously there is more work to wolf hunting than throwing a bait on the lake and waiting for one to show up. As far as the wolves knowing you are there, they might not be as smart as some people think. Sure if you are sitting in the open or in your truck they probably wont come out. But if you are hidden well in a pop up blind or one made out of branches your chances are alot better. I had a wolf walk within 40 yds of my hunting blind this fall and I wasn't hidden to well, actually the back door of the blind was unzipped and left open and thats the direction the wolf came in. I watched him walk towards me from 100 yds out and the only reason he turned when he got closer was because he got onto a deer trail. He either had no idea I was there or just didn't care.

Guest Matt M
Can anyone get that tag? And how would you compare wolf meat to other animals

Anyone who holds a valid outdoors card and a small game license can buy the wolf tag.

Sageboy

A couple of years ago a deer hunting guide out in the Emo area told me that if you want to bring a wolf in to use a coyote call or even better, a coyote decoy. Supposedly wolves hate coyotes. This guide also had some wolf hunts for clients in the winter. I don't wolf hunt so how true this is I don't know.

PRO V

Wolves will usually try and take out the competition foxes, coyotes, bears, lynx, wolves from another pack. Another good one

is rabbit distress calls.

Mike

gsambray

what caliber rifle would you use for wolves? As i am a bow hunter as well has anyone heard of bowhunting wolves

Hurketthunter

Not sure what anyone else is using but I'm looking for a good 22-250 to thin the wolf population a lil bit.

gsambray

so i guess my 7mm mag isnt a good idea. guess that means i get to buy a new one YAY!!!!!!!! know i just gotta figure out what.

Guest flyinfinn

yesterday the kids were not allowed out for recess at five mile school because two wolves were seen running down a deer in the school yard.

Hurketthunter

So has anybody had any success on wolves this year? I haven't been out due to work and family responsibilities but it would be nice to hear if any of you have tried your luck and how it went.

Thefishleclair

Ill be trying to snare them.....Not so much as shoot them but If I see one in my travels I will smoke it for sure or them!!!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB