• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nelson

Manager at DnR Sporting Goods

Guest Nelson

I just thought I would say that the new manager at DnR Sporting Goods is a great kid. Treated me with respect and kept true to his word. Customer service is where it is at and I'll be shopping there more often now that the other a$$ is gone.

Guest canuck

Adrian is excellent to deal with and knowledgable too boot. Great choice in management for the store in my humble opinion.

Guest adams

Good call. I went to school with Adrian and a stand up guy he is for sure. Lots of sound advice. Didn't know he was the manager now, good for him. Cheers.

arvey

good for adrian,i remember him when he was a youngster.

i still won't shop there ,sorry guys.

arvey

Some Old Guy

Hi Arvey,

I still don't get why you won't shop there....?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

gone fishin'

I find DNR quite good for service and selection. I never really had any problems before, so perhaps maybe I don't expect too much. In any case, the last time I was in one of the guys showed my how me makes some of the worm harnesses so I could make my own. Very friendly folks there, so I expect that if there was a problem before and I didn't really notice, then things will seem even better the next time I'm in.

And,no, I don't work there!

Guest SringSteel

I got a real good deal with a surpise bag of discounts around xmas time. it had mister twisters and a spoon. Thanks for the deals. I just have one question, what's with the long hair at the store. Long hair ai'nt rugged like RD.

Glen/Spring Steel

Some Old Guy

I let my hair grow for a year then cut it for wigs for kids. (Kids who lose their hair due to chemotherapy) It goes for a good cause and doesn't cost me anything.

The way my fore head is now turning into a five head I might save the last batch for myself! Just kidding. I have been donating my hair for years now and still will until I run out.

As for the other guys long hair I can't say. But next time you see him, ask him if you can smell it and watch what happens! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!

Roger

Gone8to1248

I will still be making my pilgrimage to DNR when I get in country. I enjoy looking at all the different things in there and picking up a few new items to use while I'm up there fishing. As for being pricey, let me go out on a limb on that one. I asume that some of the stuff they have in the store is from down in the states. And with they currency exchange rate moving all the time, the selling price is based on the buying price then it could seem at times items are high priced. But look at it this way, an Item is bought when the dollars is even $1.00 = $1.00 then you add a 15% mark-up $1.00 + 15% = $1.15. So if an item was bought for resale at $20.00 with even dollar exchange it would sell for $23.00 Now lets say they exchange rate jumps to $1.00 US = $1.45 CN A $20.00 item from here now cost $29.00. Add to that the 15% mark-up and it sells for $33.35 Now the exchange rate drops back to even dollar for dollar this same item now would cost and we are back $23.00. There is noway they can lower the price to reflect the new dollar exchange rate without taking a loss on the item. Some of you store people can jump in on this one and set me straight if I'm wrong. Even your tax structure from one provence to another is different isn't it. Some of it is the price we pay for world trade. How many of the goods in Canada have stamped on the bottom: MADE IN China,Tiawan,Korea,India,Or other cheap labor countries?

Gone8to1248

Bernie

Abes

I agree, good move on DnR's part making Adrian the manager. I'm sure buying power has alot to do with

their prices. I shop their often during the soft water seasons but if I'm going to buy a bigger $ item I will shop around for prices. If the prices are similar then ofcourse I will buy here but it all depends on price difference, I just can't afford to just give $ away.LoL I wish I could, wouldn't that be nice, come on 649.....

Guest fishingforreal

I will still be making my pilgrimage to DNR when I get in country. I enjoy looking at all the different things in there and picking up a few new items to use while I'm up there fishing. As for being pricey, let me go out on a limb on that one. I asume that some of the stuff they have in the store is from down in the states. And with they currency exchange rate moving all the time, the selling price is based on the buying price then it could seem at times items are high priced. But look at it this way, an Item is bought when the dollars is even $1.00 = $1.00 then you add a 15% mark-up $1.00 + 15% = $1.15. So if an item was bought for resale at $20.00 with even dollar exchange it would sell for $23.00 Now lets say they exchange rate jumps to $1.00 US = $1.45 CN A $20.00 item from here now cost $29.00. Add to that the 15% mark-up and it sells for $33.35 Now the exchange rate drops back to even dollar for dollar this same item now would cost and we are back $23.00. There is noway they can lower the price to reflect the new dollar exchange rate without taking a loss on the item. Some of you store people can jump in on this one and set me straight if I'm wrong. Even your tax structure from one provence to another is different isn't it. Some of it is the price we pay for world trade. How many of the goods in Canada have stamped on the bottom: MADE IN China,Tiawan,Korea,India,Or other cheap labor countries?

Gone8to1248

Bernie

Good point, But when you have the same item cost less at wal-mart and Can-tire, like Abes said, we cannot throw $$$ away.

Guest Dave

Good point, But when you have the same item cost less at wal-mart and Can-tire, like Abes said, we cannot throw $$$ away.

Some things we carry are cheeper than other places, but some things also are more expensive. It is always good though if you are to purchase a fishing rod or reel or sonar products and much more we do pay half of the freight for the warranties which is always nice and I dont believe canadian tire or walmart does that.

Dave

Guest TerryK

So when you go to Walmart and ask the person in the "sporting goods" section where the walleye's are biting or what is the latest hot brookie bait what do you think the responce will be? (other than a blank stare)

If a price is slightly higher isn't it worth a few pennies to have a knowlegable staff on hand to answer all your questions or even just to share a fishing story with? Every time I walk into D&R I am greeted by friendly, energetic and helpful staff that all seem to love their jobs. Service like that is almost impossible to find. What more can you ask for? In this age of big box, get you in and get your dollars then get you out type stores, it's a pleasure to have such a grass-roots local business to take care of most of my fishing needs.

Great job guys!

Bear

All;

I have the opportunity of shopping for fishing gear in both Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, plus I travel to the US from time to time. D&R prices are certainly in line with the four places I go to in Winnipeg, somethimes even cheaper. I do buy some tackle in the US, but after dollar exchange, there are no real super deals.

D&R is apparently trying to improve their customer service and their store in general, good luck Adrian. I drop by every time I am in Thunder Bay and find the staff is friendly and helpful. Product lines are good and prices are fair.

Bear

Ask for Hal's Jigs

Abes

So we can save $10 on shipping if we shop at DnR? Lol sorry couldn't resist. Like I said I shop at DnR on a regular basis it's just if I can save a substantial amount of mula buy ordering from the US than how can I afford not to. So what is a Fenwick HMG 6'6 going to cost me at DnR? I've been considering buying one.

Abes

PS I know most guy's on here are smart enough not to get into a conversation like this but I have never claimed to be that smart. :huh: When I shop locally it's at DnR not WallyWorld or C-Tire. And remember I'm talking about big ticket items like sonars etc, your not going to find huge price differences on terminal tackle/jigs/cranks etc so ofcourse it spent here.

Guest aanii84

So when you go to Walmart and ask the person in the "sporting goods" section where the walleye's are biting or what is the latest hot brookie bait what do you think the responce will be? (other than a blank stare)

If a price is slightly higher isn't it worth a few pennies to have a knowlegable staff on hand to answer all your questions or even just to share a fishing story with? Every time I walk into D&R I am greeted by friendly, energetic and helpful staff that all seem to love their jobs. Service like that is almost impossible to find. What more can you ask for? In this age of big box, get you in and get your dollars then get you out type stores, it's a pleasure to have such a grass-roots local business to take care of most of my fishing needs.

Great job guys!

I definitly agree with TerryK on this one. Being a student for the past four years made it really hard to get started out hitting the right spots with right bait in thunder bay but Roger and the other staff at D&R has really helped out with that. This upcomming hunting season i'm planning on hunting the surrounding WMU's for both small and big game but had no idea where to start . I went into D&R a few saturdays ago and got talking with Dave. I won't be taking my business anywhere else because of the service that guy gave me. Thanks again man and keep up the good work.

As for the money issue, believe me i know what its like when every dollar counts, but i found that it is not significantly more expensive than the other big box stores at all, and the advice is priceless.

Gone8to1248

I must confess I buy a lot of stuff from Cabelas only because the area I live in doesn't carry the type of gear I need for fishing up in Canada because the fish you have up there aren't common in my area. We also have the Wal-Mart Super Stores down here, but the selection that they carry are limited and a lot of the Tackle is knock off stuff. It may look alike but doesn't fish the name brand stuff. As far as the high end products I like to look at who is going to service it and where are they at. You may save some money up front when you buy on line from some of these places, but what about the cost and time it takes when you have to ship it back for repairs.

As far as the guys working at DNR being helpful I would have to go along on that one. Anytime I have asked what is good to use for a specific species they have shown me some good choices to look at and a variety to take out with me. Even the long haired guy that works there has been helpful! LOL ROGER

gone8to1248

Guest fishingforreal

I know most guy's on here are smart enough not to get into a conversation like this but I have never claimed to be that smart.

Why is that? This board run by DnR's staff? I am new here...

Some Old Guy

Hi Fishingforreal and welcome to the board.

I do work at dnr but in no way shape or form is this board owned by them. I own it.

If it was, none of the negative comments would be here would they?

Roger

grumpy

All I can say is that we are lucky to have DnR operating in Thunder Bay.

Abes

Why is that? This board run by DnR's staff? I am new here...

No, all I meant was sometimes its smarter to keep your opinion to yourself and not get involved. I was in there today, fair competitive prices on Fenwicks. And it looked like your long hair is catching on. Lol :D

Guest Barbless

Good for Adrian. In the past I've found some of their staff very condescending, but I think there gone now. Adrian has always been helpful and friendly....just what a company needs.

Trevor Zimak

All;

I have the opportunity of shopping for fishing gear in both Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, plus I travel to the US from time to time. D&R prices are certainly in line with the four places I go to in Winnipeg, somethimes even cheaper. I do buy some tackle in the US, but after dollar exchange, there are no real super deals.

D&R is apparently trying to improve their customer service and their store in general, good luck Adrian. I drop by every time I am in Thunder Bay and find the staff is friendly and helpful. Product lines are good and prices are fair.

Bear

Ask for Hal's Jigs

A certainly disagree with this. If you know where the sales are happening and where to look. YOU CAN SAVE Hundreds to thousands of dollars on fishing gear in the states. I recently went to states and picked up a Shimano Curado D and Shimano Crucial combo for 275 dollars US including taxes. (spring fishing show) And because I was in the states for 3 days I did not have to pay duty or taxes when claiming it. That same rod and reel combo retails for well over 500 dollars at DNR. I also believe DNR is selling a lowrance X-15MT sonar/gps package for 999.99 right now, or used to be. Cabelas is selling that same unit for 449.99US. Yes... Yes.. sparing the details and all the economics....I know Cabelas is a huge outfitter store and can do things like that. But, bottom line is no one with any common sense would pay more than double the price for something.

Im not putting DNR down by any means. I love to tells some lies with the staff there. The reality is 90% of people with go somewhere else even to save a measly dollar.

-Zimmer

Trevor Zimak

So we can save $10 on shipping if we shop at DnR? Lol sorry couldn't resist. Like I said I shop at DnR on a regular basis it's just if I can save a substantial amount of mula buy ordering from the US than how can I afford not to. So what is a Fenwick HMG 6'6 going to cost me at DnR? I've been considering buying one.

Abes

PS I know most guy's on here are smart enough not to get into a conversation like this but I have never claimed to be that smart. :huh: When I shop locally it's at DnR not WallyWorld or C-Tire. And remember I'm talking about big ticket items like sonars etc, your not going to find huge price differences on terminal tackle/jigs/cranks etc so ofcourse it spent here.

Now I agree with this one 100%. DNR's terminal tackle is competitive with Walmart and CT. And when I go to DNR I am usually very confident that they will have the size and colour I want. The only negative comment about DNR that I have is I do believe their reels and rods can come down a bit. Riverside Outdoors prices are on average 20-30 dollars cheaper.

-Zimmer