• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Snowball

Ice road at Lac Des Mille Lac

Snowball

Warning:

Anyone travelling the ice road on Lac Des Mille Lac from Gary's landing to Sand Point it is nothing but two ruts in the snow. Very disappointing to say the least. The section from Sand Point to the Sugar Shack rental units is nicely plowed.

Regards,

Snowball

levi64
Warning:

Anyone travelling the ice road on Lac Des Mille Lac from Gary's landing to Sand Point it is nothing but two ruts in the snow. Very disappointing to say the least. The section from Sand Point to the Sugar Shack rental units is nicely plowed.

Regards,

Snowball

Thanks for the heads up Snowball :icefishing:

Some Old Guy

From Gary's to Sand Point...... is it plowed at all or just bashed? Gary's plow might be broken down and he can't maintain the road. I dunno.....

Also I think Archie plows the road from Sand Point to his Sugar Shacks at Coffin Island.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

NoUseForAName_GW

as of sunday, Gary's plow truck was broken down, (injector problem i believe)

so the road is a couple of ruts, no problem for trucks, but i wouldn't suggest any cars or low vehicles attempting the drive.

Gavin

wampa

For $15 bucks a pop he should be able to buy a new plow.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Guest planner

The $15 a pop doesn't apply to most of us that have shacks...and from what I understand after talking to him last Wed, he has quite the amount of people owing him money right now too for those.

Who's to say he's not simply just "waiting for parts" either?

I don't believe that Gary's fee includes a plowed road, as once Sawmill slushes up, it's snowmachine or quad anyway.

my .02

Guest BLR-WSM

Gary has been great for our group over the years and has helped us out a ton - worth every penny we spent. I wish him and his equipment luck this year. When his plow is fixed I'm sure he'll open it up like always. Last year I was out there in a minivan!!!! Not too many people get to experience that on such a good fishery!

Guest Leeroy

Gary's truck is broken and he is waiting on parts. The road to sand point has been plowed, just not as wide as usual. As soon as parts come in he will have the road plowed wide.

levi64
How much does Gary charge to park vehical and then use snowmobile?

5 Bucks.

Guest KINGKAN
Gary has been great for our group over the years and has helped us out a ton - worth every penny we spent. I wish him and his equipment luck this year. When his plow is fixed I'm sure he'll open it up like always. Last year I was out there in a minivan!!!! Not too many people get to experience that on such a good fishery!

That's cause not too many people would be caught dead driving a mini van! :D Lol, J/K

unbedable

Hey I've only been to lac once or twice, once earlier this year before the snow. So I shouldn't have a problem if I have 4x ? Gary's is the place where all of the shacks are stored correct? I guess drive a little ways out and walk to an island or such? I was just hoping to take my sis and a couple people out but a don't have a machine.

Thanks for the continued posts

Phil
Hey I've only been to lac once or twice, once earlier this year before the snow. So I shouldn't have a problem if I have 4x ? Gary's is the place where all of the shacks are stored correct? I guess drive a little ways out and walk to an island or such? I was just hoping to take my sis and a couple people out but a don't have a machine.

Thanks for the continued posts

Bud, You can drive for miles and miles. follow the road and your safe and if snow conditions are ok you can drive to pine point if you really wanted too. You will see all the shacks and know where you are, use a map online or if you have one. Ask Gary too, good luck

Guest BLR-WSM
That's cause not too many people would be caught dead driving a mini van! :D Lol, J/K

I hear you!!! We can't all be deadly :P

eyelander
Bud, You can drive for miles and miles. follow the road and your safe and if snow conditions are ok you can drive to pine point if you really wanted too. You will see all the shacks and know where you are, use a map online or if you have one. Ask Gary too, good luck

That is not possible now without 4x4. We were out today, and Gary has the road plowed pretty much 2 lanes wide down to Sand Point. Then the road down to Coffin Island area is basically a little bit wider than 1 lane wide.

Anywhere else, you need 4x4 to get to. We pulled a 2 wheel drive suburban back to the ice road this morning that was trying to get to Carp Island, but the drifts bottomed out the truck. After pulling him back to the plowed road, we were able to get to Carp Island without too much issue, but the drifts are rather hard packed, and slowed down my buds truck a few times.

When we left, I guess one of the guys in the group of vehicles north of us had a plow on the front of their truck and had the blade lowered to about 1 ft. off of the ice surface. Sure made it easier to get back to the plowed road.

Fishing wasn't slow, but not fast either. Couple of fish around 10 am, then a lull, then a bit of a flurry, then the clouds disappeared around 12:30 pm and out came the sun for the rest of the day. At 2:30 pm, fish turned on again, then a lull around 3 pm, then they turned on again. Chartreuse jigheads worked early, then orange, then black, and I got my final keeper on a Chartreuse jig head tipped with a minnow at 4 pm(as the fish on the flasher absolutely refused to hit an orange jig head tipped. They would follow it up, but not hit).

My one bud got his limit, releasing 3 under 13" along with a small pike. I got my limit, with one under 13" released, one lost just under the ice, and one missed hookup. Other bud got one keeper, released 1 under 13", along with a pike, and lost 2 reeling them up along with a couple of missed hits.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

68camaro

The ice road was in great condition this weekend, HOWEVER, Gary's truck broke down on Saturday. The transmission went out and he had to be towed off the ice. We helped him remove the plow and the truck is now in town for repairs. The road might not be maintained while his truck is being repaired so use caution.

Guest Ol Big Moose

Ice road was good today! Travelling off the ice road was a bit hard on equipment. Lots of slush and big drifts down towards maki bay but we made it thru with ALOT of pushing and shoveling,didnt get much fishing time in due to trying to move the shack but its finally on the ice. Started shovelling on friday,got it on maki bay late yesterday and parked her near carp today.

Guest nathan v

Off the road is a challenge for sure right now, even with 9 inches of lift and some very large tires on my pick up some drifts were still almost bumper height! Saw a few stock pick-ups struggling pretty good breaking trail, keep the tow straps handy if going exploring haha.

rodman

Road to Pine Point was perfect on Sunday! Caught more fish than my last two trips out Sawmill to boot!