• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kashabowie_KID

chub lake

Kashabowie_KID

tried out chub lake today. i got the info from the anglers guide to stocked lakes. it produced some nice brookies. worth looking into.

shmanks
tried out chub lake today. i got the info from the anglers guide to stocked lakes. it produced some nice brookies. worth looking into.

how long is the drive to it? could i take my car i was just looking at the lake on google and was just wondering how long the drive was and the road conditions any help would be great thanks :)

Foozer

Uhh...

How nice were these Brookies?

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Guest Ol Big Moose

Drive time is short, no problem for cars and a short walk to the hardwater. Yeah uhh how were those brookies

Mr. Canoehead

C'mon now guys, Kash Kid has been asking for advice on where to fish for a long time (presumably with little response), and then he finally finds a good lake and he shares it with everyone here. That shows class and I think we should all be thankful he offered as much info as he did. Glad you had some luck Kid, keep it up!

Kashabowie_KID

Was just wondering because I heard they tasted like mud from that lake

just ate them for dinner this evening, they tasted phenomenal!!!

LittleCleo

Fished Chub last weekend, it also produced great action. None of any real size as well. Any suggestions for lakes known for lager Brook Trout? Thanks!

sportspal

Try Thompson lake in behind chubb

hopefully you have a snowmobile for that one, it is a long walk!

Lyle Reiner

just reading the anglers guide to stocked lakes...says chub is closed from april to labor day....any truth to this?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Lyle Reiner

nope, answered my own question, lake is open!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest mnaiman
Going to try it out tomorrow for a couple hours.

Kash, thanks for the info.

I might see you out there

Some Old Guy

Ok I have to chime in here.

There is going to be quite a few groups going to Chub Lake tomorrow and on the weekend. I think I live closer to this lake than anyone here and I keep in mind that these little speck lakes that had very easy accesibility were opened up with the intent that people who had mobility or disabilities could also have some trout fishing. Remember just a few short years ago that only the hard to get to lakes were open year round?

Also once the fish "shut down" (man, I love that term) that'll be it until a few more years after restocking takes place and the fish grow up again.

I'm not telling anyone not to go I'm just stating facts.

A couple of more facts. With the amount of people going (locals here are going to also cash in on the action before the fish "shut down"), be mindful of your parking at the fire hall. Don't block the lot and leave parking for fire and 1st response volunteers. Just a heads up that the original trail is located in behind the mail boxes. I know the person that has the house on the lake has part of his driveway on crown land but he pays for the maintence of it.

So that's that. You might see me there in the spring casting from shore.

Have fun and stay safe.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Angler AV
Ok I have to chime in here.

There is going to be quite a few groups going to Chub Lake tomorrow and on the weekend. I think I live closer to this lake than anyone here and I keep in mind that these little speck lakes that had very easy accesibility were opened up with the intent that people who had mobility or disabilities could also have some trout fishing. Remember just a few short years ago that only the hard to get to lakes were open year round?

Also once the fish "shut down" (man, I love that term) that'll be it until a few more years after restocking takes place and the fish grow up again.

I'm not telling anyone not to go I'm just stating facts.

A couple of more facts. With the amount of people going (locals here are going to also cash in on the action before the fish "shut down"), be mindful of your parking at the fire hall. Don't block the lot and leave parking for fire and 1st response volunteers. Just a heads up that the original trail is located in behind the mail boxes. I know the person that has the house on the lake has part of his driveway on crown land but he pays for the maintence of it.

So that's that. You might see me there in the spring casting from shore.

Have fun and stay safe.

Roger

You make a good point Roger. I don't think everyone always realizes how fast a lake can be fished out.

I am going to throw out a crazy concept that most people will no agree with but how about going to stocked brook tout lake and throwing most of them back. Wow I said it. I fish for brook trout often and never keep any. I fish for the enjoyment of it and just because they don't reproduce and are "technically" put there for us to take I would rather put them back and go back year after year and catch lots of fish and watch them get bigger. This way other people can have fun at the lake as well and catch lots of fish. The mentality that I need to get mine before the next guy does is hillbilly and archaic.

You only need to keep a couple for a small feed. Keeping a full limit of 5 especially when they are big is just glutony and not fair to everyone else who want to enjoy the lake.

Just my 2 cents.

AV

Guest Jimithy

I worked in Alberta last winter during Ice fishing season and they had different regulations on the stocked lakes. I was located very close to the foothills / rocky mountains where lakes are few and far between because of the nature of the terrain; water seems to flow in rivers rather than pool in lakes. They had a number of lakes close to the town where I worked that were stocked with a gazillion rainbows, browns or specs depending on the lake. Those were put and take lakes with catch and possession limit of 5 fish. As one might expect , you'd catch fish pretty easily and get your limit every time but they were always fresh out of the hatchery skinny little things. In a few occasions though they had stocked lakes that were open with possession limits of ZERO. If I recall correctly, this was a trial program that had been running for 5 - 10 years and only around the time I was there was it starting to prove effective. Ice anglers could go down to the lake for a day of fishing and catch monster trophies all day long, but you had to put them back.

Anyway, not suggesting we need anymore regulations in Ontario and we certainly do not need to model after Alberta, but a stocked trophy lake close to town with a ZERO possession limit might offer the fishing opportunities for people with limited mobility.

On another and off-topic note, Alberta has a barb ban , all hooks must be barb-less... they used to say I was from "Barbaric Ontario "... also they banned live bait every where and all scented baits or dead baits are banned except for use in stocked ponds; and specifically not for use in the ponds with ZERO possession limits. So don't go looking to Alberta for all of your answers.

Mr. Canoehead

Not fair? Sounds like a lot of whining to me. Nope, when it comes to stocked lakes it's the old first come, first serve for this "hillbilly".

Some reasoning behind catching and keeping fishing:

If you're going to injure the fish you might as well kill it and eat it instead of throwing it back down the hole and pretending it will live. This is even more ridiculous when it is a laker that came 75' up from the bottom! Those brookies only live a few years anyways so forget about catching them for years to come. The purpose of stocked lakes is to take pressure off of other populations, so if you don't keep fish why not just fish for natural trout??? Save some for the rest of us who actually eat them. :P . If people don't take them, the MNR will stop stocking the lake, and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they increase stocking if the lake gets utilized a lot. Archaic? Well people have been fishing for food for thousands of years, and how long has "catch and release" been around? Just becaue something is new does not make the old way archaic. Archaic would imply that catch and release is superior to keeping fish which it is clearly not. They make really cool fishing video games so that makes catch and release seem archaic according to that logic!? This way you can catch all the fish you want and never have to injure them (or leave your house for that matter).

If I'm a hillbilly what does that make you? An elitist? A city boy? A tree hugger? Name calling gets us nowhere you see..

Take it up with the MNR and stop judging people who like to fill their freezers within the confines of the law. We are not judging you, except maybe for thinking you have the right to be judging others.

Wow what a rant! thanks for reading, feel free to respond, and no I'm not trying to offend anyone. I was just feeling offended myself because someone called me an archaic hillbilly.

Some Old Guy

I say go for it. My main point was the parking at the fire hall.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Mr. Canoehead

Roger

LOL I wasn't responding to you Roger...

I've been quit smoking since Jan 1st and if you guys think I've been irritable lately just imagine how my wife feels!

rodman

Roger

Foozer can tell us where else their biting and split the action! ha,ha

Guest Ol Big Moose

Im on board with Mr.Canoehead they are called (PUT AND TAKE) for a reason, the MNR puts them in the lake for you to take them out and put them in your belly so that the natural population that does reproduce isnt hit so hard. Keep in mind the lakes with easy access are better left for the folks with mobility issues or old timers like our friend Roger. (just kidding Rog i havent seen you in awhile had to throw one in) There are plenty of stocked lakes out there so spread out and fish em all,I dont know about the rest of you but for me fishing the same spot over and over again is just boring its a big world out there get off your rear end and check it out. That being said I dont mean go out to these lakes everyday and take your limit but you could if you felt thats what you needed to do so long as you arent breaking the POSSESSION half of the law. You have to agree the more difficult the access the better the fishing is. :P

rodman
Im on board with Mr.Canoehead they are called (PUT AND TAKE) for a reason, the MNR puts them in the lake for you to take them out and put them in your belly so that the natural population that does reproduce isnt hit so hard. Keep in mind the lakes with easy access are better left for the folks with mobility issues or old timers like our friend Roger. (just kidding Rog i havent seen you in awhile had to throw one in) There are plenty of stocked lakes out there so spread out and fish em all,I dont know about the rest of you but for me fishing the same spot over and over again is just boring its a big world out there get off your rear end and check it out. That being said I dont mean go out to these lakes everyday and take your limit but you could if you felt thats what you needed to do so long as you arent breaking the POSSESSION half of the law. You have to agree the more difficult the access the better the fishing is. :P

Having a two and four year old I think I fall under the mobility issues category! Driving a minivan doesn't help right now either! I love fishing of all sorts and currently have a shack sitting out at Lac,but would like to find some lakes I can fish a little closer to home so I can head out with my boys for a short trip and introduce them to be interested in the best sport in the world! Thats how I stumbled across this website while googling Hazelwood lake.I am glad I did for it is a great way to stay a little more in tune with fishing in and around Thunder Bay. I also had dug out the Crimestoppers book of stocked lakes that I bought years ago and was excited to try some speck fishing.

First stop Golding Lake.First lesson.Dont' kid yourself and think you can pack everything you need to fish plus a two and a four year old hiking in! I did try! Just not for long.I didnt even make it down the trail.Back to the van,next stop Adrian!

That was an easier access!Tobbogan ride down to the lake!

Managed to fish for twenty minutes!Mission accomplished.

No bites, but now we know some where to try another day!Although little brother may have to wait for summer fishing!

So as you can tell I'm pretty anxious to get out,explore and wet a line!

And anyone knows to get a kid interested in fishing,a fish on the ice is a good start!

So I wont be going to Chub to abuse it, but considering its closeness,ease of access(which I am assuming?) and chance of seeing a speck I will hopefully go try.

If anyone can recommend another lake from that book to try with equal accessibility I would appreciate it!

Thanks for the tips! Share the wealth!

Sorry for ramblin'laid off and itchy!

Guest Angler AV
Not fair? Sounds like a lot of whining to me. Nope, when it comes to stocked lakes it's the old first come, first serve for this "hillbilly".

Some reasoning behind catching and keeping fishing:

If you're going to injure the fish you might as well kill it and eat it instead of throwing it back down the hole and pretending it will live. This is even more ridiculous when it is a laker that came 75' up from the bottom! Those brookies only live a few years anyways so forget about catching them for years to come. The purpose of stocked lakes is to take pressure off of other populations, so if you don't keep fish why not just fish for natural trout??? Save some for the rest of us who actually eat them. :P . If people don't take them, the MNR will stop stocking the lake, and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they increase stocking if the lake gets utilized a lot. Archaic? Well people have been fishing for food for thousands of years, and how long has "catch and release" been around? Just becaue something is new does not make the old way archaic. Archaic would imply that catch and release is superior to keeping fish which it is clearly not. They make really cool fishing video games so that makes catch and release seem archaic according to that logic!? This way you can catch all the fish you want and never have to injure them (or leave your house for that matter).

If I'm a hillbilly what does that make you? An elitist? A city boy? A tree hugger? Name calling gets us nowhere you see..

Take it up with the MNR and stop judging people who like to fill their freezers within the confines of the law. We are not judging you, except maybe for thinking you have the right to be judging others.

Wow what a rant! thanks for reading, feel free to respond, and no I'm not trying to offend anyone. I was just feeling offended myself because someone called me an archaic hillbilly.

This is the response I figured I would get when you offer such a crazy idea like throwing brook trout back down a hole.

"Nope, when it comes to stocked lakes it's the old first come, first serve for this "hillbilly". ....If we ever had a food shortage in town I would hope I wasn't behind you in line because if there were only ten loaves of bread left I am sure you would take all ten and then turn around and laugh at me.

First come first serve is not a very good rule to follow and a bad lesson to be teaching kids. What if there is a reason someone can't get to there favourite speck lake until March and when they do the fish are all gone. Is the answer too bad or go to another lake? You might be within the law to keep your 5 but show some respect for other anglers who enjoy the lake and don't take 5 for every person out on the ice everytime you go out.

If I happen to foul hook a fish I keep it but if its perfectly fine it can go back. Its chances of survival at the bottom of the lake are better than if it hits the table.

If people were resonable with the number of BT's they kept MNR wouldn't have to stock as much which would save money better used for other fish management issues instead of subsidizing your meals 5 times week.

Fishing would be better for everyone with less cost...hmmmm sounds good to me. The only drawback is not having brook trout to eat everynight.....seems like a good deal to me.

I am not an elitist, city boy or tree hugger, just an avid angler who enjoys catching lots of fish, trying different lakes and keeping reasonable amounts of fish.

I get out ever weekend and fish for every species we have in this part of the country so you will not catch me playing video games of fishing on a weekend instead of being out there.

If you took offense to my comment then there must be some truth to it.

I get into all sorts of great lakes and catch lots of fish but not everyone is as mobile or ambitious so all I am saying is don't rape and pilage the close lakes just because you can....that is backwards thinking.

AV