• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

What do you think?

Some Old Guy

Hi everyone,

For every positive email I get about Thunder Bay Fishing I get 5 negative ones. These are mostly directed and bodies of water. In summary they are all negative about a lake or river or stream being mentioned here and the sender fears exploitation of the body of water.

I am anticipating the spring time will be interesting.

What I really don't understand, and I mean nothing against outdoor writers at all, but I wonder, does an outdoor author get negative feed back on articles they write? I don't know. I understand that a writer will write about a secluded resort and not get any negative feed back but what about local waters that everyone has access to?

Anyways how do you feel about this site? I want to know your opinion. You can either post it here or fire me an email, good or bad at mayerrc@tbaytel.net Please keep it civil though......

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Thefishleclair

Fisher persons will post the names of water as they see fit.........Maybe the disgruntaled Member should PM the member who said the name of the water body rather then PM or Email you! This makes more sense but other then that If I feel I want to keep my water body a secret then I wont post it and if someone else posts it on here oh well.......Plenty of fish in the waters right and if not then I have to find another spot to go to!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

levi64
Fisher persons will post the names of water as they see fit.........Maybe the disgruntaled Member should PM the member who said the name of the water body rather then PM or Email you! This makes more sense but other then that If I feel I want to keep my water body a secret then I wont post it and if someone else posts it on here oh well.......Plenty of fish in the waters right and if not then I have to find another spot to go to!

Well said fishleclair. I fully agree with you.

Some Old Guy

I see your point fish but as one email said, this site gives the opportunity to post water bodies. So they blame the site.

Roger

Thefishleclair
I see your point fish but as one email said, this site gives the opportunity to post water bodies. So they blame the site.

Roger

Well unfortunatly you cannot control the posts that do not break the rule's!!!

Its a fishing forum, Names of water bodies will be givin...its the way of the beast......

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

levi64

Roger

Well its a fishing site and a fishing forum. Its back and forth talk about fishing and fishing places. If places get mentioned they get mentioned. I said it before Roger and I'll say it again, there is no need for any PM's to the site administrator, whinning or complaining just bann them.

Really, if anyone comes to a site named Thunderbay Fishing, they have to have some understanding its about fishing, this sometimes will include places, times, baits, tactics, and maybe even a grid so they will just have to get over it or get off the site if they don't like it.

Fishog

All I can say is I came here because I love fishing. That being said The exchange of information here is great. If I want to post some pictures of fish and where I caught them should be my bragging rights. Not that I have much to brag about :rolleyes:

The way I see it is if someone lets out a hotspot, I for one am not going to go and jump into my truck and check it out. If these people want to complain than its their right but do it on the forum and not hide behind some email address or P.M message. Giving out names of lakes or rivers is only part of the puzzel. You still need to know how to fish that body of water and that could take sometime to know

Just my 2cents+HST

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Whining over lake, and river locations??really?

i've got google earth, nomap.ca and a stocked lakes book. there aren't too many lakes and rivers you can hide. im pretty sure the have all been found and fished before you.

do you get complaints about people mentioning specific jighead colors too? should i just say "a shade of green" instead of chartreuse to save you the hate mail. maybe we should put up "no talking" signs in bait shops too

kind of ignorant to think your own fishing pressure couldn't be exploitation of another persons "secret spot", but any more anglers would be.

just warn, then ban, like levi said

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Some Old Guy

Just my 2cents+HST

Ha Ha! I love that one!

Roger

Some Old Guy

Like I mentioned. These are emails and I don't think that there has been any issues with members for awhile. These are people who browse the forums and then get a hold of me. Therefore I cain't banneded thems!

Roger

Domer
All I can say is I came here because I love fishing. That being said The exchange of information here is great. If I want to post some pictures of fish and where I caught them should be my bragging rights. Not that I have much to brag about :rolleyes:

The way I see it is if someone lets out a hotspot, I for one am not going to go and jump into my truck and check it out. If these people want to complain than its their right but do it on the forum and not hide behind some email address or P.M message. Giving out names of lakes or rivers is only part of the puzzel. You still need to know how to fish that body of water and that could take sometime to know

Just my 2cents+HST

I guess this issue will never be laid to rest. So far I agree with all of these posts. I think everyone on this site knows where i stand on this issue. For those who don't here goes. I am sick and tired of hearing about the telephone tough guys and the cowards hiding behind their keyboards causing trouble for this site. If you have issues on what people write, then stay the hell out and then you won't have to worry about it anymore. You obviously keep coming back for a reason. This site has so much to offer, and I know that a lot of people like myself enjoy everything about it and frequent the site many times a day. I have no problem helping people out with information. A lot of people on this site are just really getting into the sport or are beginning to experiment a little more and you can listen to some of the enthusiasm that people place in their posts. I hate that there is some sour apples out there that are just so F&%##n greedy. You know what, your secret spot is no secret. Someone showed you or told you and or believe me you are no Christopher Columbus, someone was there before you. Quit busting Rogers you know what. I wonder if people complained about The fishin canada show when they gave out precise co-ordinates of the Nipigon river where to catch trophy speckled trout spots. I wonder if they had hate mail for letting the cat out of the bag. I can't believe that people complain about this as much as they do. I always go back to my story about Coffin Island at Lac. I was the first to plant my shack there. Brought one guy there who loves to fish and next thing you know it is now surrounded by shacks front to back. What did I do, complain, maybe a little, but then I turned the page on that spot and used my knowledge and became more mobile and looked around for other spots. My point is no spot is safe. If you don't like someone fishing close to you then move on. Don't point the finger at someone who gave us this wonderful site. I believe its always the same handfull of guys. Like i said its time for them to leave the site alone. I guess thats tough to do when you rely on it or frequent it for whatever reasons. There is something for everyone on this site, thats why its such a great site. Instead of complaining, how about giving Roger praise for putting in the time and money. The rest of the Thunder Bay Fishing crew should also be praised for their time they put in on the site. This whole secret spot really made sense to me after fishing tournaments. Its funny how you do the prefishing and find fish at certain spots, then tournament day comes and what happens, three boats sit right on top of you. Go figure. Fishing is the best thing in the world. I love fishing. Why in the world are you select few so dam inconsiderate and greedy. My advice to the babies, GET LOST! Roger, next time these guys have something to complain about send them my way. I got big shoulders and I can hide behind my keyboard too, only difference is i can chuck em with the best of them. Just sick of these guys bugging Roger about it. PM me anytime for spots. I got lots. Especially Lac. I also got a lot of good speck lakes, stocked and naturals. I also do steelhead, whitefish, lake trout, pike, and perch. LOL. Just try me, I usually can help out in some way just ask some guys on this site. I don't hold back. I don't mind neighbours. Just look at it this way. I believe we have the greatest fishery in the whole world. So many lakes so little time. You only live once, fish more, live longer. Don't sweat the petty stuff. Thats my 2 and 1/2 cents. Sorry about the rant.

Dom.

uncle
Whining over lake, and river locations??really?

i've got google earth, nomap.ca and a stocked lakes book. there aren't too many lakes and rivers you can hide. im pretty sure the have all been found and fished before you.

do you get complaints about people mentioning specific jighead colors too? should i just say "a shade of green" instead of chartreuse to save you the hate mail. maybe we should put up "no talking" signs in bait shops too

kind of ignorant to think your own fishing pressure couldn't be exploitation of another persons "secret spot", but any more anglers would be.

just warn, then ban, like levi said

Some guys are overly anal about their fishing spots and seem to think it's their private lake and some must have been mentioned on here. Ignore their whining it's a fishing forum. :lol:

rodman

I think this site is great! How else would I have found out that someone was going to give me 10 grand on March 12th!Ha-Ha!

Like someone else already stated,with all the information that is out there I don't think there are to many bodies of water left to find.You still have to get out to them and there is enough to last a lifetime trying!As a person who loves to fish I would hope I could help someone who is interested to find somewhere to spend a day enjoying what Thunder Bay has to offer!

So if someone is crying about people giving some advice and helping out,tell them to go hide out in their "secret spot"!

ghart

But for every 5 negative emails, there are 500 emails of support/appreciation not sent - human nature that the angry people yell the loudest and the most often and the majority remain silent.

To me, someone who would complains repeatedly to a site admin about someone else posting a fishing location on a ... fishing website..... kinda tells me what kind of person that is in the first place.

I find it odd here in this region the protectionism of fishing locations, some of which are quite well known. Ive been on the nipigon, fishing one of the few lower channels, only to have a yahoo yelling that im stealing his "secret" spot... as i am looking around at the other 4 boats trolling the same channel, that just seems odd.

With todays mapping and access to multiple map sources coupled with technology, it isnt to difficult to ascertain most easily accessible fishing lakes/rivers. of course then comes the sport part of fishing - actually catching them.

- if theres 10-15 ice huts along the side of the road, 5-20 cars parked in the middle of no where , or 20 fully outfitted fishermen/women along the banks of a river/lake or pond, theres probably fish there - or a pit party.

IMHO Websites are not a democracy, they are benign dictatorships with the site owner/admins being in charge making the rules.

Isnt the members only area for posting locations?

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

rodman

Just had to say "right on Dom!",thanks Roger and if I somehow do fluke out and win some cash on derby day,I will donate some to the sight! I am on record.Also whoever went out this morning should get a "die-hard discount!"Ha-Ha.Set it!

Guest troutsandy

"I wonder if people complained about The fishin canada show when they gave out precise co-ordinates of the Nipigon river where to catch trophy speckled trout spots"

I wondered about this too because on their website you can access many of the gps coordinates but funny enough the nipigon river one isnt on there...unless I just couldnt find it when I looked. Would not supprise me if some people complained about that. I really liked your post Domer, thanks!

Andy

PRO V

I lived in pickle lake for almost 20 years and got a little spoiled, head out any given day of the week eather hit the

Albany, St joe, the list goes on catch walleye untill your arms fall off, and not see another sole. Moving back to

Thunder bay It's been a learning curve in learning the lakes & finding the fish which is part of the gig, and i fish by myself

95% of the time, there are alot of solid people on this site and have got some positive information. Like

Fishog said i too will not jump in my halfton to hit a hot spot just because it was mentioned on here.

Domer Excellent Post.

Mike

"So much fishing so little time"

Some Old Guy

Great post Dom

Yes that's what the members area was for.

In most of my emails that I sent back to these people I asked if they were checking out the site to see if their lake or spot was mentioned or if they were looking for other places to fish. I sent ALOT of these emails back. Guess what? Not one of them answered me back! Go figure.

Roger

Bear

This is and will always be a point of discussion for fisherpeople. I know that some people think that they "own" certain spots on lakes. Just tournament fish and you will find out what I mean.

I have spent time with "retired" tournament guys, who have showed me some places to fish. I have gone back to prefish them or been on them in tournaments and have been challenged by other tournament anglers, who will cuss you out, run their boats in circles around you, make noise, etc, because I am fishing "their spot". My reply is the usual, please show me some paperwork to say this is your spot and you have ownership of it. First come, first served. No one has ever been able to prove ownership as of yet. If you think you have "secret spots", good luck, when someone drives by and sees you there, they will be back, when you are not there.

However, I will not pull in to a spot and crowd somebody or cut them off intentionally, just to fish a spot. Some anglers do. If you really want the spot, you can have it, I feel, I have enough fishing skills, I can find another or know of another place to fish.

There are no specific rules as to spots, telling people where you fish, giving out GPS waypoints or "owning" fishing spots. When someone drills holes 10 feet from my ice shack, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Lake of the Woods is a huge body of water with so many places to fish, why do you have to fish close to my shack? Is it right? Maybe, I dont own the water or the spot, but..... Thats why I dont plow a road to the shack, if you want come out, bring your snow machine or your 4 x 4.

I would persoanlly not fish near anyones fish hut, or where they are fishing, unless I was invited. Plain and simple. I will not intentionally drive my boat into a spot where someone else is fishing, I will keep my distance.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there are no specific rules, but maybe some anglers should learn and practise ethics and etiquitte. Cooler heads should prevail, it makes it a greater experience for all. The problem is not everyones ethics and ettique is the same. Maybe just try to be polite.

As for the load of negative e mails and the call you receive, Roger, toughen up, you have put a ton of work into this board, and if people dont like it, start your own board or join another one. I subscribe to a bunch of fishing boards, this one is the best, by far. There is one in the province next to me that has daily battles, name calling and all the other crap, which is not appropriate for our sport, never mind being aired in public. I rarely go on it just because of the lack of courtesy amongst some of these people.

I havent had my coffee yet and its -32 C here right now, so thats my rant for the day. I am going to the shack this afternoon, anyone wants to drop by, come on out, I will give you directions and the GPS waypoints. Hot lunch at 2:00 pm.

Try to get along and hope you get out fishing.

Bruce

Slick_Jig

Hey folks

Domer said it right. The people who are complaining can get lost. We all share the same passion and some information to be circulated. Roger keep up the excellent work. Best fishing board I am apart of.

Gone Fishing

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

Guest jackfish pete

I agree with Domer (like pretty much everyone else who responded).

One time, before a trip to Stratford, Ontario, I was on a message board there. It was just unbelievable how useless it was. People were reluctant to even admit that fishing was LEGAL in a local resevoir, never mind any info even on fish species. After seeing that (last July), I was reluctant even to join this board but I don't regret it. Most of "my secret" spots are well-known, and so it should be.

Keep up the great work, Roger. If people bug you, "don't feed the trolls"

Some Old Guy

I just got another email, but first, I have received a ton that support the site and the messages in this post are encouraging.

Here it is,

***Thunder Bay Fishing has put extra fishing pressure on small local lakes that cant handle that kindof pressure. I hope you know that your sight has cause greef for me and my friends trying to fish these lakes. When we go to our spot there is somebody there always. They tell me they learned the lake from your web site. And they told me to **** off. Your web site is bad news for our lakes***

I am yet to respond to this one. I tried to a few times but as always, read, re-read and hit delete until you have a cooler head!

Roger

gsambray

In all honesty I figure its all just GREED! I only get the chance to fish in the wintermonths maybe a dozen times a year and when i do go out its nice to go somewere that i will get fish. If i go out and hit fish all day long and have a great time i will tell anyone who wants to know about it especially if there taking family or kids out with them. I am sure everyone knows what its like taking a kid out fishing on a slow day. they get bored or give up and dont enjoy themselves. yet if they go out and catch a few and have fun then you just may have introduced a new love or maybe obsession towards fishing. so for the people who hate people like me who will tell others were they can get fish, GET OVER IT you dont own the lakes and rivers. By the way if yopu want good walleye, go to northern lights lake straight out to one mile island turn left and keep an eye out for a big hump of snow about 2 hundred yards off the island were there is a big rock reef. its shallow for about 20 feet around the pile but if you can find were the drop off is or the holes from other people have fun. you will get fish. Hopefully thats descripted enough for the greedy whiny people out there. and hope it does cause too big a problem for the admin.

Bear
I just got another email, but first, I have received a ton that support the site and the messages in this post are encouraging.

Here it is,

***Thunder Bay Fishing has put extra fishing pressure on small local lakes that cant handle that kindof pressure. I hope you know that your sight has cause greef for me and my friends trying to fish these lakes. When we go to our spot there is somebody there always. They tell me they learned the lake from your web site. And they told me to **** off. Your web site is bad news for our lakes***

I am yet to respond to this one. I tried to a few times but as always, read, re-read and hit delete until you have a cooler head!

Roger

Maybe to take the pressure off, those people should not fish there. What makes them experts on how many people can fish a lake?

You are a very patient man Roger.

BB