• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Native Species Aquaria

Lyle Reiner

I have always been interested in aquariums, and dreamed of having a couple native species in my tank. I am aware the catching walley, northern etc for a fish tank is illegal.

However I am wondering if I can purchase yearlings/fry from a stocking place. And have them in a tank?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest MNR

Under the fish licencing regulations of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, a person may keep native fish species in an aquarium for personal use, without requiring an aquaculture licence, providing no sale occurs.

The simplest way to acquire native fish for aquaria is to purchase them from a licenced establishment such as an aquaculture facility, a live fish market, or a commercial fisher. In order to transport live fish, a receipt from the vendor is required in lieu of a Licence to Transport Live Fish Taken From Ontario Waters.

You may also collect fish under a Sport Fishing Licence, in accordance with the Ontario Fishery Regulations, however possession limits would apply to any captive fish, affecting your entitlement to catch and retain any other fish of that species. As well, you would need to obtain a Licence to Transport Live Fish in advance, in order to bring them home.

For purposes of scientific research or broader public education, a Licence to Collect Fish for Scientific Purposes may be obtained, however this authorization is not applicable to individual aquarium hobbyists.