• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest souonter

Steelhead

Guest souonter

Hi everyone,

I recently moved up to Thunder Bay from southern Ontario. I have been a big steelhead fisher for the last 10-12 years. I'm a bit sad that the ice looks like it should be staying on the rivers for quite a bit longer up here, I'm thinking my usual mid march steelhead fishing is unlikely lol. or is it?

All I was wondering is if I could get some advice for which rivers are most popular for these guys in the Thunder Bay area (within 2 or so hours drive). Also, when you can typically start fishing the rivers safely. Any other information would be greatly appreciated as well.

If anyone wants any advice on steelhead fishing off of Huron I'd be happy to share what I know :P

Guest souonter
OH NO! He or she said STEELHEAD! :D Let the games begin.

Oh please god no lol, what should I say? I dont want to have another cottage vs camp type debate on this too I just dont have the energy haha.

fishman1

any river within 2 hours wil have steelys. there will be a trail along side the road on either side to walk. you wont be fishing until april-usually. go to the next meeting for the steelhead club and meet the guys and gals. they will point you in the right direction.

Bullshark

Last year was an early run...I got my first one of the season March 28th. This year, I doubt you will be able to fish that early.

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Fishbum

check ur pm...ya last spring was definatly a weird one....hope this year it lasts a bit longer, and we actually get the rains!!

GC 54

The next NSSA meeting is 7:00 pm Thursday, March 17th at the Prosvita on High St, turn off of Memorial at the CAA corner.

You can also keep informed by checking the NSSA banner on this site.

Hope to see you there!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest Smack Um

What a coincidence I too have a friend that recently moved from Hamilton to Thunder Bay the next NSSA sounds awsome. :D

Patrick

Guest Munshaw

To be honest, you are probably better off heading out without any preconceived ideas of what is popular. Every tributary east or south from here has steelies, with some real gems out there that are not considered popular. You'll quickly discover which ones are popular (and usually popular =easy to access) in mid to end of April when you start rubbing shoulders. There are TONS of places around here where you can haul fish all day and not see a soul. Very very few rivers are not worth fishing, including putting in some leg work and not just fishing highway bridges. There are some really amazing spots around here, and discovering them is half the fun! I've been steel heading here on the north shore since I was a kid, and there are still a bunch of places I've never been.

A few times I've caught fish in march when it is warm, but game time is usually April 15 to walleye opener or so...

Guest Smack Um
The next NSSA meeting is 7:00 pm Thursday, March 17th at the Prosvita on High St, turn off of Memorial at the CAA corner.

You can also keep informed by checking the NSSA banner on this site.

Hope to see you there!

I will try to talk my pal from Hamilton into coming to the meeting he knows quite a bit about Steelhead and Chinnook Salmon it would be a poor year on the Niagra River Canyon if it did not yeilded a Steelhead of 12-15 lbs or a Chinook of 25-30lbs but he is really a die hard speck fisherman at heart and unfortunately there is no such thing as The North Shore Speck Asociation?.... if there was such a thing Hmmmm...... :P

Patrick

brookiebuster

North Shore Speck Asociation.....sounds like a good idea! ^_^

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest souonter

Any word on open fishable rivers yet for these bad boys? I flew home and got my first steelheads of the spring and now im jonesing for more already (ya i mostly added that to rub it in lol). I've been checking the weather network for Tbay forecasts and it looks pretty warm and rainy. Any updates?

PM me if u dont wanna make it public, I'm a catch and release fisher! well 90% of the time :P

brookiebuster

I seen a little bit of water showing somewhere on the mac. B) Still going to be a little while.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest jackfish pete
Last year was an early run...I got my first one of the season March 28th. This year, I doubt you will be able to fish that early.

Back from Alabama already?

Guest cstclair

Thats hilarious. i just moved up here too from southern ontario! same deal, the cottage vs camp thing! Im looking for some sweet spots too! lets get this ice outta here and start fishing the rivers! Can you fill me in on the next steelhead meeting so i can join!

thanks!

GC 54
Thats hilarious. i just moved up here too from southern ontario! same deal, the cottage vs camp thing! Im looking for some sweet spots too! lets get this ice outta here and start fishing the rivers! Can you fill me in on the next steelhead meeting so i can join!

thanks!

The NSSA web site can be accessed under the NSSA banner in the general fishing forum.

http://www.northshoresteelhead.com/updates.htm

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest souonter

Ya I was checking out mac before I came home, I noticed a fair amount of open areas. I'm hoping the mouth of the river will break up a little bit (or enought to fish atleast) this week. I'll try and keep up with updates on different places as I check them...I dont know how helpful that will be for ppl but ill do it ne ways lol.

thanks!

Im from Cambridge, where are u from? and ya its really strange how northern folk spell cottage "camp"...as well as pronounce it as "camp"...accents are so cute the way they work lol, jk.