• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wampa

Get ice fishing huts off lake, lake officials warn

wampa

Get ice fishing huts off lake, lake officials warn By tbnewswatch.com

This week's spring-like weather is causing concerns at one of the area's busier ice fishing spots, and officials at Lac Des Milles Lacs are now warning anglers to get their ice huts off the lake as soon as possible.

It's a similar situation to what happened last year, when a sudden thaw made the big lake too dangerous to drive trucks out onto the ice.

Lodge owner Gary McCourt said the recent rain and melting snow has left six to eight inches of water on the plowed trails around the lake, making driving without tire chains next to impossible.

He is predicting the situation will become dangerous if the ice huts are not removed by this weekend.

There are about 200 shacks still out on the ice at Lac Des Milles Lacs.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

rodman

Is this the usual not knowing panic or should we really be heading out?Have'nt been out for a while,didn't think the ice had even lifted yet?

mikejson

From what i heard as of 2 days ago it had not popped yet... but that is just the gossip... I don't know for sure...

My shack was off last weekend just to be safe ;)

Guest drk

I'm guessing they just don't want the same thing to happen as last year. For some reason people seem to think that if they pull they're shack off "safely" early in the year, that means they can't fish no more. Save yourself the trouble, get it off soon as the weather ain't getting any better for ice conditions, ...... and day fish.

joks
I'm guessing they just don't want the same thing to happen as last year. For some reason people seem to think that if they pull they're shack off "safely" early in the year, that means they can't fish no more. Save yourself the trouble, get it off soon as the weather ain't getting any better for ice conditions, ...... and day fish.

Looks like the weather will be below normal all next week. I think we will be out till April 15th this year and I did't realize we had "lake officials"

Guest drk
Looks like the weather will be below normal all next week. I think we will be out till April 15th this year and I did't realize we had "lake officials"

Well me personally I don't like to base anything on what they say the weather is going to do. You got about a 50-50 percent chance on that one. But by chance if they are right I'm sure 7 degrees and rain is not going to help the situation tomorrow. Either way, you can bet money that we'll hear of something happening this spring involving a truck and or ice shack on poor ice conditions.

brookiebuster

I was out on a small speck lake yesterday and theres still 2.5-3ft of ice.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

68camaro

I don't think the sky is falling just yet. Overnight lows for Upsala are: Mon -7, Tues -13, Wed -17, Thurs -18, Fri -15. That's still pretty cold and I'm not going to pull the trigger on the season yet. I will review the situation next weekend.

mikejson

Day fish or sleep on shore.... Gary doesn't mind you campin out in your shack on shore.

I think the lake official is Gary :P hahah

What does "lake official" even mean? :huh:

tracker

Who elected Gary to be the spokesperson for Lac? The water is collecting on "his" plowed road which it does every year. Did the owners at Pine Point Resort have the same opinion? Thank god its a big lake and every one doesn't have to use his facilities to access the lake. Don't be suprised if a certain lodge owner proposes to the Lac Des Mille Lac Lake Management Committee that ice shacks should be removed by March 15th.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

mikejson
Who elected Gary to be the spokesperson for Lac? The water is collecting on "his" plowed road which it does every year. Did the owners at Pine Point Resort have the same opinion? Thank god its a big lake and every one doesn't have to use his facilities to access the lake. Don't be suprised if a certain lodge owner proposes to the Lac Des Mille Lac Lake Management Committee that ice shacks should be removed by March 15th.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with that... mines off, and I'm still planning on going next weekend ... just gotta brave the -5 with windchill cold for a day :P hahah

Lyle Reiner

was on lac yesterday... still over 3 feet of ice. bottomed my power auger out twice.

Probably another 3 weeks of the season left. ill bet that we will have someone go through with their truck in a month and a bit, probably at sand point

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Sageboy

Just got back from Lac this afternoon. Trucks were using the ice road but pushing water. We pulled my buddy's shack off with his quad with tracks. No problem.

Still at least 3' of ice.

mikejson

Oh I was just guessing it was Gary... personally, I dunno who the "officials" are *shrug*

(didn't want to start any rumors :P)

Guest lacman

Good idea!

Guest Donny

Well there may be some truth to this. I was in the North Bay area a last week and the Ministry including Law Enforcement publicly requested through the media and lake patrolling that all ice huts had to be removed off Lake Nippissing by March 15th, no ifs and or buts on that subject.

Fines and costs are not cheap in that district if those registered huts are removed with taxpayers dollars after the due date, and lets face there hut regulations are enforced on that lake.

I wish our district MNR would pipe up and make a public statement on this matter, they don't seem to be to concerned about this matter, after all they patrol the lake on a regular basis and they know what the ice conditions are like.

On a side note I understand that the ice season in the Thunder Bay district is a week or two behind from the Nippissing district, but why take any chances.

Bear

I removed mine from Lake of the Woods yesterday. Truthfully I should have removed it a week ago. The road we plowed into our "village" deteriorated and could not be used. I had to drive through the snow, no big deal, just a rough ride. The landings and portages are in rough shape. Shack is home safely and now I will use the quad or snow machine and the portable if I want to go out. I did see some guys having a tough time chipping their shacks out and tring to drive through two feet of water, not much fun.

The best fishing is starting now and I can barely wait for the ice to lift so I can get soem trout fishing in. Will be out for some jumbo whitefish and crappies this week. Maybe a quick run out the lake for some walleyes too. You have to eat you know.

Bear

Guest Donny

I don't think anybody elected anyone on this matter, but as for the lodge owner, he maintains the ice road and for a small fee anybody can drive on it, so there may be concerns for liabilities issue here.

Its common sense, better be warned before the last minute scramble, if i recall last year was a close call.

MR.SAFETY

hillbilly318 do yo :rolleyes::o u really :o think that somebody might go through the ice at sand point.That never happens.... :o

wampa

Was out at pine point Sat/Sun. Around 3.5 feet of ice and no slush. Rain and freezing rain all day Sunday with high winds. Fishing as OK but better first thing in the morning. Pulled the shack off and will sleep on shore next weekend.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

tracker

If Gary wants to limit access and make up his own rules for his clientel, so be it. If he wants the ice shacks off early that use his property, then he needs to make this clear. But leave the rest of the ice fisherman/ice shacks alone. If you choose to pull your shack off early it is your own business, but don't preach to the rest of us.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Guest SheaBonez

hahaha lake officials I got my shack off yesterday got berry to tow it as its not worth the strain on my buddies truck probably could have towed off still 3 ft of ice fishing was great still going out next weekend its not even close to what it was last year still lots of time bbut it is getting soft in spots with lots of water oh ya and gary told me to stay close to the old road and not to go on the other side of birch where the road is now i say another week for shacks and another 3 weeks of fishing with a snow machine

speckmaster

At this point what is better to use out there...snowmachine or quad?

thanks

hahaha lake officials I got my shack off yesterday got berry to tow it as its not worth the strain on my buddies truck probably could have towed off still 3 ft of ice fishing was great still going out next weekend its not even close to what it was last year still lots of time bbut it is getting soft in spots with lots of water oh ya and gary told me to stay close to the old road and not to go on the other side of birch where the road is now i say another week for shacks and another 3 weeks of fishing with a snow machine