• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ghart

Fishing Boat recomendations

ghart

Hi,

Im looking at purchasing a used fishing boat, but am not sure what I need.

It has to hold at least 1 adult (pref 2) and 3 kids. Id like to use it on smaller lakes, the nipigon river and perhaps in protected areas of larger lakes (nipigon bay)?

Any opinions on sizes, accessories?

I only have a couple thousand dollars right now so that may limit me.

Thanx,

Glenn

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Jayfishin

Sounds like a deep & wide 14ft aluminum boat with a 10 to 20hp would do you fine.

There are lots of boats in your price range coming out in the papers now...check out the following:

http://www.norwestbuysell.com/

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cat_index_38.php

Jay

Bill Arnott

Hey Glenn,

I would recommend a 16 footer minimum if you are thinking about playing around out on Nipigon Bay. The river is very protected and you can get away with a 12 there but make sure you have enough horses to get back up the river.( I once spent 3 hours slipping current seams with a 4.5 merc to get back to Alexander landing :blink: ) No matter what size you go with you'll have to pick your days out on Superior. If the whole family will be going often I'd wait a bit to get something that will serve your needs for a few years- otherwise you end up having to sell a boat as well as finding another. Without knowing your tow vehicle my pick would be a 16 with a floor & a 25-40 hp. Add a 12v electric motor and you're all set for everything you described.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Abes

I would really suggest on atleast a 17' , 4 or 5 people in a boat can get pretty crampy if you plan on going out for any amount of time. And with that many people in the boat you really want to find something with a good floor plan so there's some kind of comfort. You could fish 1 adult and 3 kids in a 16' but add another adult and I think you'll be wishing you bought something bigger. I think the best thing for you would be to check out a few different sizes and see what can work for you because everybody is different..

Abes...