• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Master Baiter

SMELTS??

Master Baiter

So when does everyone figure the smelts will start running?

and I can't remember....they run before the Steelhead right?

Thx

Mike

Can't wait to fill a net!

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

gsambray

ive always gone for smelts after the steelhead run or close to thw end anyways

sinker7

On an average year it is usually the last week of April.

• Like 1

Guest TerryK

I believe smelt are very temperature driven so just keep an eye on the water temps and you should get a good feel for when they will be around. From what I understand, temps in the 42 to 45 degrees F range are ideal. I've seen them before, during and after the steelhead run so you cant really use that as a guideline.

• Like 1

Master Baiter

Well I'm off this weekend, anything yet? Gonna head down to McVicars and Current River and see tomorrow nite or Monday

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

Some Old Guy

I heard the smelts are on the go in the Mcvicars creek.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

gsambray

gonna try it out tonight will post and tell if i got any

gsambray

way to much water at current and some unsafe ice on the one side. as for mcvicars only netted some leaves sticks and mud. LOL maybe after the warm weather we are supposed to get this week will warm things up and get them moving. anyone else have any luck? I was down there pretty early (11pm)

brookiebuster

Hmmm I would'nt go to Mcvicars at night,last time I was there(daytime) some weirdo was there drinking and asking me how much my fishing gear was..lol :unsure:

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

gsambray

its okay at night cause there usually too drunk to do anything by then LOL

eddylives

Hmmm I would'nt go to Mcvicars at night,last time I was there(daytime) some weirdo was there drinking and asking me how much my fishing gear was..lol :unsure:

Haha....when the run is on there are so many people there that its hard to find room to dip a net lol. As for wierdos there seem to be resident homeless people living under the railway bridge , at least they were there last year. For the most part I think I scare the reasonably sane ones with my apperance and they keep their distance lmao.

On a side note , is it illegal to use dead smelts for bait now?

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

brookiebuster

its okay at night cause there usually too drunk to do anything by then LOL

Good point..LOL :lol:

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Mr. Canoehead

We got some at Current river last night just after midnight but they were'nt running very thick. We took enough for a couple meals and went home to chow down after about an hour. And yes it was very teacherous on the banks as they are covered in ice and theres no flat ground to stand on.

gsambray

by next weekwnd if we get the warm weather it should be good

Thefishleclair

Heck yeah...I need about 2 five gallon pails! I sure hope they will be runnin when I get home!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Snowball

A fellow was telling me this morning that he got 4 pailfuls, last night, by the marina.

Regards,

Snowball

Domer

brother did very well last night. He is going back tonight for the big haul. Updates to folloGw. I would have posted pictures but i am in florida for two weeks. I did some serious fishing this past week. Caught a 20lb king Mackeral and at least 200 Red and black Groupers. Also we had a Goliath Grouper on for 45 minutes and then he decided to spool the line out of the reel. will post when i get back to town

gsambray

yep there running

robbo

I was going to go last night too but the sleeping snuck up on me. Now I'm stuck on night shift. :(

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

NorthwestHunter

Took the girlfriend out last night for her first time smelting. They were running pretty good and she had a blast. Quite a few people out too (McVickars).

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Kashabowie_KID

Was there lastnight at about 2:30 and there was no one down there. Smelts were flying up the river, could feel them hitting my feet. Took half a pale, was gone by 3:15.

eddylives

Was going to go tonight but holy crow I just looked at the radar and it might be nasty out there soon.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest Smack Um

Yeah I went and nothing doing that cold front really effected things better luck next time I guess tempature really affects the little guys much the same as it does the big guys I guess.

I can't even count the number of times our heros went out fishing and came back victorious one day only to be zero's on the next day ( a quote from Al Linder of the In Fisherman Magazine).

Weather system's can change things amazingly fast for any species of fish or animal.

I can only imagine that things will improve when the temperature goes back into the double digits.

I think that a fishing diary would be a big help as one would have a chronological time line to put everything into perspective. :ninja:

Patrick

Snotrocket

Can't wait to get back and try some smelts, people around the Sudbury area are doing good finally :) last week a couple buddies from class went out and only got 4. I bugged them next time they should use a dip net rather than a small hook and worm lol