• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Master Baiter

SMELTS??

sinker7

Hit McVickars last night. Not alot of people. The run started at 10:30. It seemed slow compared to reports from earlier in the week, probably from the snow and cold weather. The run was steady... a couple smelts almost every scoop. We left at midnight with a decent haul.

Guest Smack Um

Yep got a 5 gal pail 1/2 full took about a 1/2 hour to do so the run is back on for sure and should last for about a week or so Smelt are covered in your general fishing licence see page#11 regs so anybody can go.The run is nothing like I can remember it being and there is more work cleaning them than I could remember too.

When I was a kid I can remember the net being so full that I could hardly lift it and some people would only take males as they where easier to clean.

Back in the day when families where big and incomes where small Smelt where a welcome addition to the menu for lots of poor folks with lots of mouth's to feed.

I bought a Smelt Net 15/16" O.D. and added a section of Conduit Electrical Pipe 1 1/8"O.D. 1" I.D. I drilled through both pieces and bolted them together to make an extension the over all lenghth of the finished product was about 9ft in length.

There are many other creeks and rivers that Smelt run up off of Lake Superior that you can fish for them like the Mackenzie River, Wildgoose Creek,Current River, McVickar's Creek,Neebing River,MacIntyre River etc... ;)

Patrick

eddylives

The Vic was nuts last night but the run was on.

In less than 20 min. we had 1/2 pail which is all we wanted for us

I only hope this continues for years to come

btw anyone see the person running around with the fancy camera???

looked like a regular lightning show down there lol

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

unbedable

The Vic was nuts last night but the run was on.

In less than 20 min. we had 1/2 pail which is all we wanted for us

I only hope this continues for years to come

btw anyone see the person running around with the fancy camera???

looked like a regular lightning show down there lol

I'm assuming that camera was from the newpaper?! That kinda sparked everyone to go. . . I think last night I counted 42 trucks. People were parking in the parking lot cause there was nowhere on the road closer! A little bit tougher fishing cause it took five of us to fill a third of the pail in two hours. Bundle up if you go!

Guest Kenny

Just in from the McKenzie. Startd out slow, filled half a kitty litter pail in 50-60 minutes, getting 2-3 per scoop. Went across the river where others seemed to be doing better, found a good honey hole, and filled my 2nd pail in 15 minutes

Guest idlehand

Ok gonna try this smelt thing for the hell of it. Tell me how you cook em, what the best way to prepare them? I think I could tolerate the idea a little easier if I could gut them first.

Guest Funmonkey

Hey Idlehand, you do clean them before cooking. Simply cut the head off behind the gill cover removing the pectoral fins as well, the cut along the belly to the anus and slide your finger through the cavity removing the guts. Scissors are great for quick cleaning. Then they are ready to cook or freeze. Remember if freezing always chill for a few hours in the fridge first, then freeze. Hope this helps you tolerate it.

Michael

Chuck

Dude I can smell 'em fryin from here Mmm Good :D

Git "er done

Guest Smack Um

Yeah they should be good 2 Go at these temperaturures,....and I would still take you on as a fisherman in Armsrrong Ontario.

Patrick Bisson :)

Guest fishfishfish

Did anyone go out last night?? are they still running?? Was thinking of taking the kids tonite but didn't want to go if the run was over already. Thansk

gsambray

was at current river last night around 1 a.m. and was pretty slow but got some. farely large too. ive been told that a few creeks up lakeshore are producing big numbers but havent gone that way yet. just watch your net at the current river there have been a few walleye picked up.