• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
randomheroj

Thinking about going bear hunting for the first time

randomheroj

So i got invited to go fishing for the first time this year, just wondering what kind of stuff is a must to bring what type of gun is good i have 4 i could use, a 300 savage, 3006, 7mm mag and a 300 mag... which kinda of other things should i have with me at all times.. any callers? which bait works the best? and everything..

Thanks for your wisdom, Randomheroj

Hurketthunter

Any of those calibers will work just fine on a black bear, use a good quick expanding bullet for a large wound channel. You'll see why I say this when you see how much fat a fall bear has on it. Keep a couple good flashlights in your pack and a head lamp if you have one since most times you'll shoot your bear just as light fades which means your tracking and field dressing in the dark. Good luck, hope you have a good hunt.

gsambray

I use a 7mm mag for bears and everything else I hunt thats big game. like what was written above a few good flashlights are a must. i hunt over bait a lot or spot and stalk is fun too. what i have had success with is old bread and the best is gotta be a big pail of grease. save up your cooking grease and bacon grease over the winter and summer in a 5 gallon or so pail and use that. A trick I found works amazingly was found by an accident. I saved up a pail of grease and forgot I had it in the back of my truck for well a month. you could only imagine what it smelt like spending a month in the hot summer sun. poured it over a slash pile that had bear tracks around trying not to gag and headed back to the truck. as i walked maybe 20 feet away towards my truck i heard the bucket making noise. i turned to look and there was a young bear with the bucket heading into the bush line. I also have a gauranteed trick if you really wanna use your tag but if you want that tip pm me since its never failed me and dont want too many people to learn. haha family secret.