• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest izzy

Wolf River

Chuck
Anyone near the Wolf River in the last few days or so? Is there flow or is it ice-city??

Wen"t by yesterday lots of water but still lots of ice

• Like 1

Git "er done

gsambray

any updates on the wolf? was planning on going out the first weekend of may.

Chuck

I really didn't see anything in Izzy"s post about steelhead Simply asking about the river and ice conditions has nothing to do with steelheading

Perhaps he just wanted to go Kayaking or walking along the shoreline taking pictures of ducks The Wolf crosses the Hwy and you would have to be blind not to notice guys lined up on the shoreline with float rods Hmm wonder what their doing there I think that with the price of gas being what it is a little info about river conditions would be just sharing without wasting gas on the 45 min drive

Wanna know about the Nipigon River ? Ya it's open all the way from Alaxander Dam right to Lake Helen and it has been all winter as it is most years then there is a large patch of ice about 4 miles long It then starts to breakup with large chunks going under the bridge which causes havoc for guys trolling

Have no idea what their fishin for though, perhaps spring coho, oops good thing I didn't say steelhead or the MIB will come and visit me

post-874-0-13515600-1303127924_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Git "er done

levi64

I really didn't see anything in Izzy"s post about steelhead Simply asking about the river and ice conditions has nothing to do with steelheading

Perhaps he just wanted to go Kayaking or walking along the shoreline taking pictures of ducks The Wolf crosses the Hwy and you would have to be blind not to notice guys lined up on the shoreline with float rods Hmm wonder what their doing there I think that with the price of gas being what it is a little info about river conditions would be just sharing without wasting gas on the 45 min drive

Wanna know about the Nipigon River ? Ya it's open all the way from Alaxander Dam right to Lake Helen and it has been all winter as it is most years then there is a large patch of ice about 4 miles long It then starts to breakup with large chunks going under the bridge which causes havoc for guys trolling

Have no idea what their fishin for though, perhaps spring coho, oops good thing I didn't say steelhead or the MIB will come and visit me

Ah yes the MIB with the little guns lol.. Ah my favorite time of year. Don't tell anyone about ice on a major river crossing the trans Canada Highway make the poor guy spent the gas money to drive out there and see for himself then he will be as twisted as some of the other so called Mr. Steelhead fishermen. Good reply Chuck hope the MIB don't visit you for letting people know about the secret Nipigon river and the ice conditions. :fire:

• Like 1

gsambray

i am still going up there to watch the ice float down the river :P and sorry for asking on river conditions i didnt realize that a particular species of fish were so magical that it had to be kept a secret. in fact if anyone wants to go watch the ice with me let me know LOL.

• Like 2

walleyebob

seen alot of fish today ...might of caught a few to where? in town . pm me or i am affraid i might be abducted in the night if i tell anyone about a rivver i found in the middle of the city :P:ninja:

gsambray

seen alot of fish today ...might of caught a few to where? in town . pm me or i am affraid i might be abducted in the night if i tell anyone about a rivver i found in the middle of the city :P:ninja:

I think your safe. pretty sure that I am on the top of that list LOL. just hope they dont do any kinda butt probing.

levi64

I think your safe. pretty sure that I am on the top of that list LOL. just hope they dont do any kinda butt probing.

Now thats just funny. :lol:

• Like 1

68camaro

Ah yes the MIB with the little guns lol.. Ah my favorite time of year. Don't tell anyone about ice on a major river crossing the trans Canada Highway make the poor guy spent the gas money to drive out there and see for himself then he will be as twisted as some of the other so called Mr. Steelhead fishermen. Good reply Chuck hope the MIB don't visit you for letting people know about the secret Nipigon river and the ice conditions. :fire:

Yes, I agree, good reply. I can't believe some people on this forum. The privleged steelhead community and their top secret information. Yada yada whatever. This is a fishing forum where people come to get/give information so get over it. End rant.

mikejson

HAHAHA, this happens every year...

If you don't want to tell someone DONT REPLY... if someone else wants to spill the beans, they will... unless Roger put it in the forum rules, or until the MNR puts a law in that says you can't share ice/water/fishing conditions in public... I think it's fair game to talk about it on a public forum :D

Izzy, I'm not a steelhead fisher, so I don't think I qualify for butt probing if I talk about it... so that said, if I drive by in the next few days, I'll post on this public forum and let you know ;)

• Like 1

Wade O.

I really don't see the big deal in telling someone the river condition. Its no different then asking for the ice condition at lac. Hell people even say how they did there. Honestly if you think thats going to put a steelhead on their rod then you shouldn't call yourself a stealheader. Its really not that simple.

• Like 1

68camaro

I really don't see the big deal in telling someone the river condition. Its no different then asking for the ice condition at lac. Hell people even say how they did there. Honestly if you think thats going to put a steelhead on their rod then you shouldn't call yourself a stealheader. Its really not that simple.

Agreed B)

gsambray

also agreed!

Guest iRIP807

lol good one chuck....now i know i cant go kayaking at the wolf but i sure can take pictures of ducks

Chuck

So i had a visit last nite from the MWB (Men with Beers) I don"t remember if they had a probe or not but damn I can't remember any river names or locations this morning It all seems to be a blurr

But seriously I fished for steelhead for at least 5 years before ever catching one So to think that you can just stroll down to the river and catch em like perch Wrong As for secret locations as to where they might be well just grab a map or mapsource or Google earth and look for creeks streams rivers even roadside ditches that run into the big lake they will be there

Scaremongers say they are endangered and lacking in numbers I say BS and I can prove it Go to any lake that is stocked with em and your still allowed 5 wonder why that is Are they special when they are in the big lake but not so when they are inland I think not

Aurora and Golden trout are endangered but you don't hear about them on this forum and there are a few spots where they have been stocked in the Thunderbay district Now those are secret locations

Time will tell as to the health of the Steelhead population this year Pictures will be posted and a few of those fish will make it to the plate no different than hunting Some people like to eat bear I prefer not to

As for watching ice floes going through the narrows above that Some river bridge on that Hwy by my house I'm in for that I might even bring my rod BLUUUURRR

What are we fishin for again???

Git "er done

Guest Wes

Well Chuck the difference is The fish in the BIG lake are not stocked. In our neck of the woods anyway. So yes they are special. We have the only (I may be wrong about ONLY but one of very few at least) naturally reproducing self sustaining population in all the great lakes. Everywhere else they are stocked. By self sustaining I don't mean an over abundance, all I am saying they won't go extinct (barring any environmental disaster).

Scaremongers? Come on man, seriously?

You can't prove anything by comparing the inland put and take trout to the north shore Steelhead. Apples and oranges my friend. The people saying the numbers are down are the people doing the research. As well as the anglers who have been at it for years. Ask anyone in the know and they'll say "It's not like it use to be." Even I can remember going to the Mackenzie and have a chance at banking 25 Steelhead in an afternoon. Now you would have to be pretty damn good to get double digits. Same goes for the Wolf.

So please, before your start spewing at least get half a clue.

When you post your photos, keep your fingers out of the gills as well, unless your taking it home.

• Like 1

thefisher

Well Chuck the difference is The fish in the BIG lake are not stocked. In our neck of the woods anyway. So yes they are special. We have the only (I may be wrong about ONLY but one of very few at least) naturally reproducing self sustaining population in all the great lakes. Everywhere else they are stocked. By self sustaining I don't mean an over abundance, all I am saying they won't go extinct (barring any environmental disaster).

You can't prove anything by comparing the inland put and take trout to the north shore Steelhead. Apples and oranges my friend. The people saying the numbers are down are the people doing the research. As well as the anglers who have been at it for years. Ask anyone in the know and they'll say "It's not like it use to be." Even I can remember going to the Mackenzie and have a chance at banking 25 Steelhead in an afternoon. Now you would have to be pretty damn good to get double digits. Same goes for the Wolf.

When you post your photos, keep your fingers out of the gills as well, unless your taking it home.

WELL SAID!!!

Fishbum

Curious Wes...are you talking self sustaining reproducing steelhead from primarily just Lake Superior or just thunderbay area?

Guest Wes

...We have the only (I may be wrong about ONLY but one of very few at least) naturally reproducing self sustaining populations in all the great lakes...

Fish247, in the above I was referring to the north shore (We). I do believe they are stocking in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Occasionally one of their tagged fish ends up in one of our tribs, or so I have heard.

Wes

Fishbum

Fish247, in the above I was referring to the north shore (We). I do believe they are stocking in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Occasionally one of their tagged fish ends up in one of our tribs, or so I have heard.

Wes

Ok...ya i knew they stocked fish down in the states, but i'm from sault ste marie, and they have an amazing population of Steelhead there as well...don't want to say better than here but from the soo to wawa there are a ton of rivers with a ton of fish in each one. But there is no stocking of rainbow trout in the great lakes there either. Just making sure haha

Good luck out there!

heavy haul

Wes

Here is a a stocked rainbow "looper" that was caught on a northshore river a few seasons back. May be hard to notice, but the adipose fin was clipped. I haven't seen or heard of a U.S tagged fish, only fin clips. I could be wrong, but the only tagged fish I've come across were tagged in Ontario

post-495-0-01650100-1303246377_thumb.jpg

Mykiss

Here is a a stocked rainbow "looper" that was caught on a northshore river a few seasons back. May be hard to notice, but the adipose fin was clipped. I haven't seen or heard of a U.S tagged fish, only fin clips. I could be wrong, but the only tagged fish I've come across were tagged in Ontario

Be careful what you call a "Looper" they are generally double clipped eg. AD,RV. The Adipose clip was used on wild Portage Creek steelhead in 2000,2005 and 2010. Even though Portage Creek steelhead are all tagged when sampled,tags are lost at a rate of about 20% from one year to the next. You can usually tell a Looper from a wild Lake Superior by the growth pattern on the scales plus total age vs clips.

Guest TerryK

That might be a looper, but chances are it's not. Adipose fin clips were used in the McIntyre a few years back as part of the ongoing population study and in the Portage Creek study as well and Mykiss said. As far as tagged MN fish, I personally caught in the McIntyre, a wild steelhead that was tagged in the Knife River (Minnesota DNR tag) a few years ago. It was confirmed by checking the tag number with MN DNR.

Just because you haven't seen something, dosen't mean it dosen't exist.

Some Old Guy

***Just because you haven't seen something, dosen't mean it dosen't exist.***

What about ghosts and Bannedheads then?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!