• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

pastor norm

Salmon talk?

pastor norm

Here's Archie learning the ropes on the pacific... next year I will be there again...

September2006 137.jpg

• Like 2

CMB

was hoping to try some salmon fishing tomorrow but wondering about the Nipigon River.  Does anyone know if the salmon have moved into the river yet?  I know the Nipigon derby is next weekend so... 

brookiebuster
9 hours ago, CMB said:

was hoping to try some salmon fishing tomorrow but wondering about the Nipigon River.  Does anyone know if the salmon have moved into the river yet?  I know the Nipigon derby is next weekend so... 

People have been getting them steady in the nipigon for a few days now.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Barrski

I will find out tomorrow, going for a quick fish in the morning out of the marina 😄

Barrski

Did a solo run this morning in the fog,didn’t go far as you couldn’t see any more 50 yrds. Dropped lines in 50 FOW after breakwall and headed for welcomes. Picked up 4 lb salmon at 65 ft in 75FOW on green flasher and fly. Shut it down after 2 hrs 

Barrski

Still nice and silver in the Nip.  Nice fish

CMB

I'm new to this salmon fishing.  You guys make it seem easy.  Tried Little Trout Bay today to test out our new equipment but all we got were a couple of small lakers 30-40' deep on spoons, nothing on husky jerks.

Lost several hits as we haven't quite figured out the tension on those dipsy diver things.  Trial and error I guess.  Hopefully Nipigon River on Tuesday.

Kaptain Kirk

2,rainbows 1 salmon yesterday for us. We were out in black bay had a couple other realesses also. Water was 56 to 57 surface temperature 

jonut13

Went out on the lake Saturday.  Landed 6, 2 were under 1lb but the rest were nice 3-4lbs.  35' mainline hit 4 the other 2 at 20' on a dipsy.

oyo

Has anyone tried using a mini dipsy diver and a flasher together?

Spectre
6 minutes ago, oyo said:

Has anyone tried using a mini dipsy diver and a flasher together?

Yeah, I was fishing little trouble bay yesterday and had a mini flasher on bother size 0 and 1 dipsys. Had one salmon hit on the bigger dipsys and the leader snapped and I lost the flasher and apex. Then I had another good size one on the bigger dipsys again but it was suddenly gone, so frustrations were high, but yeah flashers on dipsys are fine.

oyo

Thanks! I wish i got the mini flasher, I bought an 11 inch one off amazon because it was cheaper than all the smaller ones.

Spectre

Yeah I mean the "mini" ones are still 8" long. I got mine from a guy on Kijiji from somewhere in southern Ontario. I think like $10 a flasher brand new still too.

pastor norm

I wouldn't run a big flasher behind a dipsy unless you had 30 lb test mainline. A small one works find but you need to shorten the leader.   Try a weight dropper system... 

Big flashers require sturdy equipment because of the drag (25-40 lb and good swivels).  There are other kinds of flashers that are smaller and have less resistance on the main line and the leader,   I know at least one person puts cranks or spoons behind a gangtroll.

Big salmon don't seem to be shy of heavy mono or fluoro. And your leaders HAVE TO be heavy to impart decent action to a fly or a hoochie behind a flasher.   I switched to 40 lb leaders on the left coast after we had fish break off our 30 lbs leaders.  The next day I had a fish actually pull my rod out of my wet hands.  This is not finesse trout fishing... 

oyo

Good point, I was not really thinking about that, so for an 11" flasher behind a mini dipsy or same size flasher behind a weight ball I would need to use 30+LB on the mainline? I think Ill stick to just the mini dipsy diver for the rest of the year since im mostly in the nipigon river and set up a rig for the flasher by spring time.

Noah santorelli

Was in black bay for a night on my boat landed 9 salmon one a coho all on big al flashers attached to green flashers with flies 35- 50 feet down biggest was 9lbs 

Barrski
On 8/27/2018 at 2:06 PM, Noah santorelli said:

Nice catch in black bay, might make another run there next week 

rceme74

Went to Nipigon River yesterday, a bust. parking lot full river pretty busy. We had a couple of hits but because of where we were I suspect brook trout. Going today to give it a go this evening. 

pastor norm

not much happening in the nip. 

saw one fish caught on one of many boats.  had to park on the road with others.  last time fishing for salmon on thT river. would rather catch them in open water ....silver and firm orange flesh

Barrski

I agree, I will stay to the open water, heading to the Cape tomorrow morning if the wind settles down 

CMB

Checked out the river yesterday but there lot was full and so was the side of the road.  tried Black Bay as plan B and got a couple of good salmon and a pickerel.  First salmon I've ever caught and had a blast.  I think I'm hooked...

• Thanks 2

oyo

I need to get a boat. lol. I have one buddy with a boat, and he refuses to fish for salmon anywhere but in front of the dam, because of old timey reasons.