• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

pastor norm

Salmon talk?

rceme74

Where is a good place to launch to fish Salmon in Black Bay. Nipigon R. seems to have run the course as far as quality and quantity salmon. Did hook a couple of small pinks.

James01

Any suggestions as to accessing salmon from shore on the Nipigon River?

(pm me if you want)

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

CMB

To access Black Bay we launched at Squaw Bay.

I've seen lots of people fishing the Nipigon River at the dam from shore, just park at the boat launch.

rceme74

Thanks for the info.  I will give it a go next week.

Was out Friday night shore fishing for salmon at Alexander Dam. Saw one boat catch an ok salmon, nothing to write home about. Threw J13, spoons (watermelon, monkey puke and quicksilver) also tried some #3 and 4 mepps with no luck. Definitely saw a few salmon jumping. I was the only shore fisher out there though. Talked to a guy on a water who caught a limit but said hes only caught them early morning.

Jayfishin

For the last few years the very early am hour have been most productive....probably due to the increase In boat traffic that last couple years on the river

rceme74

Yes it is nuts unless your there before sunup. I think I'll investigate Black Bay. I have never fished that area so good time to experiment.

Black

I was out on Black Bay on Sunday. Fogged in all morning (only 100yds visibility) but calm on the water.  There were a fair number of trailers there, but we didn’t see any boats while out. 

Trolled for 4hrs out towards Grey Island and only caught one very small salmon.  Much different experience than I’d had a few weeks prior (2 salmon and 2 lakers in 3hrs).  We tried a variety of lures, colours and depths.

Have the fish moved further up the bay?  Maybe we just had some bad luck, but not seeing any other boats I wondered if there was a better spot.  Are people catching any walleye out there with any regularity?  What are you using for them?

moriarty

Caught one 5# on Saturday on a plug behind a flasher, 30' and 55' FOW, and nothing else. Was out for around 2 hours in Little Trout.

• Like 1

moriarty

On another note, are the results in for the derby this year? I looked everywhere and couldn't find them.

• Like 1

rceme74

Is there a public launch on Squaw Bay, I am stationed in Superior shores RV Park in Black Bay, but its at least a 13km run one way to the head waters. Hoping to get a bit closer. Was at Nipigon today, my wife and were on the water at 07:30 and the parking lot was full and at least 7 vehicles parked on the road. Nothing moving and seen one small one caught. 

Noah santorelli

That river is gonna be cleaned out soon with that much pressure on a weekday😂imagine a weekend especially with no catch and release😒

• Like 1

rceme74

Now I hear that the water level is going to be lowered this weekend. We're going to lose all those that spawned and those that wouldn't make up to spawn because of low waters.

Maybe MNR should close the river all together until it rises to an acceptable level. I know down home, when the rivers run low they close off all salmon fishing until it rises to a predetermined level. Mostly all fishing is from shore and fly fishing, but at least the salmon are allowed to continue to go to spawning grounds undisturbed by fishermen/fisherwomen. 

• Like 1

Barrski

In Owen Sound on Georgian Bay the river is posted so when the salmon get into the river their safe No Fishing

• Like 1

Dave
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, rceme74 said:

Is there a public launch on Squaw Bay, I am stationed in Superior shores RV Park in Black Bay, but its at least a 13km run one way to the head waters. Hoping to get a bit closer. Was at Nipigon today, my wife and were on the water at 07:30 and the parking lot was full and at least 7 vehicles parked on the road. Nothing moving and seen one small one caught. 

Yes there is.  Take Portage Dr., keep to the right.

• Like 1

rceme74

Thanks Dave for the info. 

rceme74

I thought I'd make one more crack at the Nipigon Salmon run or should the lack there of. A bit more water was coming over the spillway,  but not enough to make an impact. Had three hits 2 pinks and one Spec. That enough for me, I guess its time to winterize my boat and motor. That was the best river in all of Ontario for the salmon run, but for what ever reason it seems to have been going down hill the past 4 years.  Its a nice river to fish and fun to navigate, so I really hope the fishing returns are much better in the coming years. Caption Cartoon is spot on.

fishman1
On September 27, 2018 at 4:31 PM, rceme74 said:

I thought I'd make one more crack at the Nipigon Salmon run or should the lack there of. A bit more water was coming over the spillway,  but not enough to make an impact. Had three hits 2 pinks and one Spec. That enough for me, I guess its time to winterize my boat and motor. That was the best river in all of Ontario for the salmon run, but for what ever reason it seems to have been going down hill the past 4 years.  Its a nice river to fish and fun to navigate, so I really hope the fishing returns are much better in the coming years. Caption Cartoon is spot on.

The salmon association was allowed to net and take the eggs from the salmon for their hatcheryfrom the Nipigon.. A hatchery that has produced very few fish for over a decade. This is not helping the Nipigon river.

take stock from a thriving fishery to fuel a hatchery that has been questionable at best.

• Like 1

AB

Questionable at best is a nice way to put it.

Although their intention is very noble, that Salmon Association would be in a much better position to promote salmon fishing by investing in projects that enhance stream cold water habitat.

How many folks out there have actually caught a clipped hatchery fish? I have never ever brought one to the boat myself, and after over 20 yrs of  chasing chinooks around TBay can say I have never seen one. I have only heard of a handful being caught by other anglers so the hatchery although full of good intentions is a waste of volunteers time and money.

AB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bobber Down
25 minutes ago, AB said:

Questionable at best is a nice way to put it.

Although their intention is very noble, that Salmon Association would be in a much better position to promote salmon fishing by investing in projects that enhance stream cold water habitat.

How many folks out there have actually caught a clipped hatchery fish? I have never ever brought one to the boat myself, and after over 20 yrs of  chasing chinooks around TBay can say I have never seen one. I have only heard of a handful being caught by other anglers so the hatchery although full of good intentions is a waste of volunteers time and money.

AB

Last year the wife and I caught 7 with the adipose fin clipped. They were all returning to spawn I presume. We caught them all while fishing for Walleye early to mid Sept in the Kam. This Sept we didn't put in the time and only got 2. If you haven't seen one here are a couple pics

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

fishman1

How many have been caught at their salmon derby over the years.?

they don't seem to be talking about numbers there. Can't be oo many.

its turned out to be a white elephant, no doubt. The kam is not , and does not produce many chinook salmon,

wild fish has been proven the way to go. Leave the Nipigon alone.

Never seen or heard of any of my friends that have caught one either. 

Pits time for a new approach, young minds and fresh thinking at the salmon association!

the old fossils are stuck in the same old same old thinking.

for the decades they have been dumping fry n the kam it should be full of chinooks, wall to wal. It hasn't happened. 

Kaptain Kirk

Well all I know, in my 50 years of living here. The best thing that happen out there in the big pond . Was the introduction of the salmon fisher in the Great Lakes. In my opinion, I believe it improve all classes of fish and fishing. But hey I am just going from what I caught out there over the years. Pass and present 

Powley9

They do talk about numbers quite frequently actually. This past salmon derby over the 3 days. There was I believe 300 entry’s, and 261 salmon entered into the derby, with I believe only 6 being clipped. Going off of the nipigon river is tough, because those fish are coming up to spawn. But going on the open lake this year was pretty successful as these salmon are looking to eat. Don’t get me wrong, the numbers are definitely down, but not as bad as people think.